rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Eighthours

Overcooked - Chaotic co-op cooking

Has anyone tried this out yet? It's a cutesy and chaotic cooking game from Ghost Town Games, published by Team 17.

Tasked with preparing meals for hungry customers, you and up to 3 friends have to work together to gather ingredients, chop them, fry them, put them in hot pots, avoid 'fire' accidents, wash up dirty plates, and satisfy all the punters' appetites. What's great about it, aside from how much anarchy and shouting there is when trying to coordinate everything with your team-mates, is that each of the stages (there's 28 or so) is in its own kitchen, and while these start off normal, you're soon cooking on a ship where the counter-tops sway to the other side, or somewhere prone to periodic earthquakes which raise the height of one side of the kitchen, etc.

It's a really, really great co-op experience. Local only, though! No online as of yet, and single player is nowhere near as fun, so make sure you have someone else to play with.

Reviews:

Arstechnica

Cleverly designed, and brimming with charm—the cast of characters includes an anthropomorphic cardboard box and a paraplegic racoon—Overcooked is a game that I've been coming back to again and again over the past few weeks, and one that joins the likes of Towerfall Ascension and Rayman Legends on my small but steadily growing list of great couch co-op games. Just make sure your relationship is strong enough to withstand the inevitable fallout.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/08/overcooked-review-co-op-cooking-game/

The Telegraph - 4 stars

Overcooked is terrific because of its commitment to uproarious, hilarious and challenging co-operation. As long as your friendships, family bonds and marriages can take the odd dropped champignon à la crème, of course.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/what-to-play/overcooked-is-the-best-chaotic-co-operative-culinary-game-youve/

PC Gamer - 86

With four players gathered around, Overcooked is hands down one of the best couch party games ever made. It’s the perfect balance of chaos that can be conquered with skill. With two or three players, the game gets a little easier and much more strategic, with room to see what your doing and think about what needs to be done. With one, it’s all about challenging yourself, and a lot of the whimsical fun of shouting at the screen is lost.

http://www.pcgamer.com/overcooked-review/

If you have someone else in your house/flat who can play it too (a significant other, perhaps...), fun times abound. It's genuinely excellent. £12.99 on PS4, presumably similar on other platforms.

• Upvote 4

I really liked the idea of this but wife and kids unimpressed by the trailer. Might have to wait for a sale but I really liked the idea/look of it.

8 minutes ago, Goose said:

I really liked the idea of this but wife and kids unimpressed by the trailer. Might have to wait for a sale but I really liked the idea/look of it.

Watch the Giant Bomb quick look (second video), that will show off the gameplay properly.

I've just bought this on PS4 for the wife and kids. 

Some people just want to watch the world burn :D

6 minutes ago, Scruff said:

I've just bought this on PS4 for the wife and kids. 

Some people just want to watch the world burn :D

I just really wish it had online :( 

17 minutes ago, Sie said:

I just really wish it had online :( 

With the amount going on, I think it would be pretty difficult to implement. I can see why they left it out, good as it would be.

Haven't played it yet, but the video reminds me of my favourite Atari 2600 game "Pressure Cooker" ... so I'm very tempted!

• Upvote 1

Hah, 10 mins in and the wife just said "I really can't play it with them" :lol:  

The kids are happy letting the kitchen burn, serving up slop and leaving dirty dishes and the competitive nature of the wife is horribly shining through; and I'm just watching 8-)

• Upvote 2

Played it with the Mrs last night it is superbly designed - shouts of "pass me those dirty plates ffs" and "it's onion I need not mushrooms" abounded. I really hope they patch online in 4 player must be amazing.

• Upvote 1

only got to have a quick go at single player but can see how chaotic this could get

its very Dinner Dash like but has a charming graphical style and a frantic sense of activity - can't wait to get another person in the room to play it co-op

It's on my radar & I will be buying this at some point, love local multi-player games.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

With the amount going on, I think it would be pretty difficult to implement. I can see why they left it out, good as it would be.

Bollocks, if fuckin' DOTA/LoL works then this sure as hell can.

I tried it at a local GlesGames event last month with four players and that short experience was enough to convince me to pre-order it for PS4.

I've played the past two evenings in co-op with my wife and it's been a great laugh each time. We really enjoyed Order Up on Wii (basically a blend of Cooking Mama and Diner Dash) and so would have welcomed a new game similar to that; Overcooked being co-op was ideal.

Splitting tasks between each other while a constant stream of orders come in means the first try at a stage is often shambolic. Due to the simple, grid-based kitchens the first sloppy attempt often leads to an epiphany from puzzling perfect efficiencies - "oh! why don't I just sit the pot in the middle so you don't need to keep walking all the way round?" - which all goes like clockwork until some inevitable havoc (earthquakes, fires, rats, your own laughter) throws everything back into chaos. Hilarious chaos.

Solo mode isn't quite as fun but I still enjoy it. You control two chefs, switching between them with L1. Tasks like chopping veg and washing dishes take longer but you can leave one chef doing that while you switch to the other and work on something else. It's fun, but you really need someone hollering at you to get the most out the game. With no online play I couldn't confidently recommend it to someone unable to arrange a local multi session.

We had a brief go at the Versus mode too. My wife's not really into videogames outside of puzzle games and Animal Crossing so she took a while to get acquainted with the L1 character switching/managing multiple tasks but after a couple of goes it was already getting competitive. The next Glesgames event (at Glasgow's Drygate on Saturday 20th August, with a Bit Socket live show beforehand, you should come!) has a two-on-two Overcooked competition so we'll need to practice until we're a gaming powercouple.

I also like that it has a needlessly overblown story involving demons and time travel. It's all very cute.

Petits four out of five.

• Upvote 7

On 5 August 2016 at 18:41, Eighthours said:

Watch the Giant Bomb quick look (second video), that will show off the gameplay properly.

Goodness, you were not wrong, that was hilarious.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Goose said:

Goodness, you were not wrong, that was hilarious.

Ha, I watched it last night. The first half was brilliant fun!

Immediately bought this thanks to the thread, and I'm usually incredibly frugal. It's got the same vibe as Storage Inc (360 indie game), bloody loved that game.

Played this last night with my partner and had a blast, highly recommended but now nearing world 3 and worried that it's only going to be possible to progress if you act like some sort of machine together and won't be forgiving at all. We're just going to hit a wall soon, that's my main concern but even so it's been worth it. 

Me and my fiancee have been playing this for the past few days and we're up to the final boss now. It's probably one of the worst difficulty spikes I've ever encountered in gaming, which is really bothering us. Thankfully, having managed to overcome the slippy ice levels (a genuine challenge owing to her struggling a bit with the pad anyway as she is often not interested enough to play games with me) and still together after multiple arguments - the worst was my chastising from not being able to understand how she took a burger order (bun, patty, tomato) to be a tomato soup order (tomato x3) and completely cocked up the flow of the kitchen - we want to continue playing, even on the levels we've already three-starred.

That final boss is a total bastard, but my girlf and I managed it after about 10 attempts! That unskippable cutscene every time you restart, though... *RAGE*.

playing thru this on co-op now and its marvellous - despite the cutesy look it has the ability to totally fry my brain and is exhausting to play

love how it doesn't overuse the gimmicks in levels, half a dozen boat levels in a row with the tables moving round or the truck level would be really tedious but none of the variations outstay their welcome 

The only thing I think this is missing is some sort of 'all ingredients with time limit in a big kitchen' mode. I went through the co-op with some mates and it's all good but some of the gimmicky ones were almost a bit annoying.

It kind of needs a sequel as there are a few things that could really make it bloody amazing with a bit more polish/ time.

Anyone that ever does any sort of couch play or wants to, should definitely get it without a shadow of a doubt but for us, the versus mode wasn't as fun as the co-op and the co-op is limited. You could have an overall 'can you do all the orders' goal within a time limit but then individual scores based on, I dunno, things chopped, cooked, sent out or what have you to have 'WTF were you doing?' banter after the rounds.

TL;DR It's great, I just want more and bigger :P