IGNORED

Shane Black thinks Monster Squad 2 or a reboot could be fun

Captain Kelsten

Nothing confirmed, other than that in an interview with IGN, Shane Black said that he'd be interested in revisiting Monster Squad, either as a reboot or a sequel, possibly even a mixture of both. 

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/08/15/shane-black-thinks-a-monster-squad-sequel-acould-be-funa?read

Also interesting from the interview is that apparently Black had no idea Monster Squad had a cult following. 

the-monster-squad.jpg

Do you like Monster Squad? I loved it as a kid, watched it so many times the tape wore out and I can hear the opening music in my head as I type this, alongside the best quotes ("wolfman's got nards!"). It's aged surprisingly well for a movie firmly stuck in the 80s, mostly thanks to some great makeup and practical effects. It's a film in the same vein as the Goonies, only with monsters from popular horror stories as the bad guys. It's pretty dark and violent in some places and daft in others (Dracula calls a five year old girl a bitch to her face, the whole ending with the army is ridiculous), but it's still a film I remember fondly. Quite hard to get hold of these days, as I don't think there was ever a region 2 release of it (are Blu-ray region free? I can't remember, it's been that long since I bought one).

Anyway, marvel at the great monsters:

monster-squad-review.jpg

I was going to make a joke about the Monster Squad Cinematic Universe, but then I remembered that Universal are pretty much trying do that right now with their Mummy reboot*.

*For the second time. Remember Van Helsing, nobody would blame you if you didn't. That was also supposed to be the start of a modern Universal monsters shared universe.

Probably not. I get the impression it's pretty obscure. No idea how I ended up watching it as a kid - my mom had it on VHS from somewhere. 

The premise is simple: big bad famous monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Wolfman etc) descend upon small town America, only the local children can do anything about it as the adults don't believe them. It was a 15 back in the day, so it's not like it's even a kids movie! There is swearing, partial nudity, blood, violence, a five year old girl being called a bitch by Dracula and Abraham Van Helsing gives a kid the thumb's up, despite having been stuck in limbo for hundreds of years and therefore having no notion of what that gesture is or means. Proper 80s cheese and I love it. 

43 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I was going to make a joke about the Monster Squad Cinematic Universe, but then I remembered that Universal are pretty much trying do that right now with their Mummy reboot*.

*For the second time. Remember Van Helsing, nobody would blame you if you didn't. That was also supposed to be the start of a modern Universal monsters shared universe.

Lionsgate tried to do one (a monster movie universe) a few years back called "I, Frankenstein". Or was that Universal's "Dracula Untold"?

38 minutes ago, Liquid Myth said:

Lionsgate tried to do one (a monster movie universe) a few years back called "I, Frankenstein". Or was that Universal's "Dracula Untold"?

Dracula Untold is part of the same Universal Cinematic Universe thing as the Mummy movie Harsin mentioned. "I, Frankenstein" is unrelated. 

54 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Probably not. I get the impression it's pretty obscure. No idea how I ended up watching it as a kid - my mom had it on VHS from somewhere. 

The premise is simple: big bad famous monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Wolfman etc) descend upon small town America, only the local children can do anything about it as the adults don't believe them. It was a 15 back in the day, so it's not like it's even a kids movie! There is swearing, partial nudity, blood, violence, a five year old girl being called a bitch by Dracula and Abraham Van Helsing gives a kid the thumb's up, despite having been stuck in limbo for hundreds of years and therefore having no notion of what that gesture is or means. Proper 80s cheese and I love it. 

It drove me crazy this was a 15 when I was a kid. I must have been 8 or so when it hit video here. My parents had let me see Ghostbusters which I had adored but would not let me watch this and the tagline "You know who to call when you have ghosts but who do you call when you have monsters" had me fiending to see it. It looked like Goonies crossed with Ghostbusters.

When I finally did see it a few years later it did't really live up to how much I had hyped it in my head. A fun b movie with a good script though. Saw it a few years back and its still alot of fun.

Monster Squad was decent, and seemed like it had something to it but didn't quite work. I can see why people love it, but I think you had to have caught it back when it came out.

A new one would be worth a try. Get it right this time. 

We saw Monster Squad only the a few months back, it still holds up pretty well because it's never taking itself too seriously or trying to be anything other then a bit of a pulpy 80's kids adventure/b movie horror which it nails perfectly. Good fun. A reboot would be weird because if they go for some sort of 80s throwback like Stranger Things managed then it already still is that so I don't see what there'd be to gain, but on the other hand modernising it would remove the charm.

• 4 years later...

Bump! Don’t get too excited, I’m not here with news of Monster Squad 2. 

This has appeared on Amazon Prime. I’ve just watched it for the first time in 30 years, it’s still a lot of fun. Some of it is troubling now though. The squad essentially bribe the older sister to get her involved using the threat of releasing some nude snaps but the effects and makeup still stand up. 

It’s also worth checking out the doc Wolfmans Got Nards which shows you how much of a cult following it has around the world.