rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

What Snowboard Franchise Needs To Return?

HD Release or Complete New Entry  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love the SSX series, but I'm an arcade racer rather than trickmaster.

1080 Avalanche had the thrills with exciting shit happening on the course and brilliant course design and 60fps (usually)

Hugely underrated game.

Avalanche 2 please.

• Upvote 1

SSX. Although i do own a couple of others few have heard of like Stoked Big Air.

Didn't play like SSX though. SSX was just pure downhill bliss. 

Its one of few genres where a forced mechanic works really well. Especially when that force is gravity!

7 hours ago, alistarr said:

I think I'm the only person (well, along with my siblings) who prefers Twisted Edge to 1080. Vote Other.

Dang!  Totally forgot about that game even though I used to rent it every now and then from the local videostore. 

10 hours ago, ryodi said:

1080 Avalanche without the bullshit 'spin the 3D stick to regain balance' mechanic. There hasn't been a good SSX since SSX3.

Not as good as 3 and I wasn't keen on the rock and that sketch book presentation, but SSX On Tour was still enjoyable. 

SSX Blur was ridiculously good, you just have to love and be able to do the waggle. Although I accept that I'm one of the very few people in the world that actually did. Conducting your man/woman with your  magic trick wand for successive ubers was a wonderful feeling. One of motion control gaming's finest moments. Comprising the best courses from the previous 2 games at 60 fps (mostly) was huge plus too. 

• Upvote 1

I can’t believe nobody’s said Amped yet. Part of the appeal of the first Amped was just the thrill of a new console, and particularly the thrill of being able to rip your own music to the hard drive and go snowboarding to the banging sounds of whatever shit I used to listen to in 2002. But it was a really great game as well – carving through that thick, fresh snow was incredibly satisfying, especially given the way that the snow sparkled and glimmered in the sunlight. It was a really beautiful game.

Plus, Amped 2 had a clever mechanic for doing tricks. You’d get scored for rotation and the difficulty of the grab, as in every extreme sports game since Tony Hawk’s Skateboarding, but you’d also get scored for style and execution. Instead of doing tricks using the buttons, you had to hold the right stick in a particular direction; if you held it all the way to the left, you got the base points for the melon grab (or whatever), but if you held the stick halfway, you got more style points based on how close you were to the exact midpoint.

It was a bastard to get used to, but it added shedloads of nuance to the tricks and meant that you really had to concentrate and focus to get a good score. Amped 3 simplified that mechanic quite a lot and added loads of minigames and general fluff that annoyed me a fair bit, but I’d love to see a new version that took on the pseudo-realism of the first two games.

• Upvote 4

I firmly believe people aren't voting for 1080 because they never played it. It balanced the trick and racing games perfectly.

3 hours ago, revlob said:

FREESTYLE. FREESTYLE FREFREFREESTYLE. ALPINE. ALPINE. FREESTYLE. ALPINE.

ALLLLLLLLLLLL AROUND.

This comment has made me happier than you can imagine. So many 4-player good times on that game.

NOT ENOUGH!

I made the mistake of playing Cool Boarders 2 again recently - hours of happy childhood memories dashed to pieces.

Was there ever a snowboarding game equivalent to Skate?  I'd play that.

The only one I ever played for any length of time was Cool Boarders 2 - I think I still have it on one of my PSPs. It was completely absurd in terms of (unrealism) but also a fun score attack game until THPS came along. Just writing this post has caused the menu music to pop back from my subconscious...