IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Overhype drive engaged!

Nespresso

I've logged planets absolutely carpeted in flora, and teeming with megafauna. One such planet was a paradise, all stunning shades of brown and orange grasses, trees and shrubs, all rippling in the breeze. I called it Jonamok Autumn.

But clearly there are plenty of people who haven't yet had the pleasure, therefore it's obviously a lie.

On 26/08/2016 at 18:08, RubberJohnny said:

Apparently discoveries aren't being saved

They're being erased in chronological order, which makes me think it isn't actually saving everything to a database, but instead each player is allocated a certain amount of storage, and they didn't expect people to fill it up or go backwards.

I thought it was odd that, after marking my home system with a waypoint, a few weeks later that system was no longer named, and apparently had not been discovered. Maybe systems and planets are also affected by this.

6 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

I thought it was odd that, after marking my home system with a waypoint, a few days later the system that had been waypointed was no longer named, and apparently had not been discovered. Maybe systems and planets are also affected by this.

Nothing is affected by it. It's just server issues.

I was skeptical about NMS after about 2 years of identical trailers that failed to show continuous gameplay or give any sense of the combat at all. Also I remember being directed towards one video after talking about my concerns on here that showed the player firing on AI craft that didn't respond to being under fire at all and just continued on their pre-baked flight path.

It was the enthusiasm on here that won me over despite the backlash and the issues with the PC version and I think my general skepticism actually helped in my enjoyment of the game because I wasn't expecting anything more than super basic game mechanics. 

Also I'm a massive geek for procedural generation since I first discovered old-school roguelikes in the 90s so I'm in heaven playing this. It's the most advanced example of high-fidelity procedurally generated 3D landscapes I've ever seen. Maybe it doesn't match up with some of the prerelease footage but the best ever is still the best ever. 

Just finished another 30 minute session and again I ask myself "why am I playing this again?" whilst playing. Crafted a things that made underwater exploring more manageable only to discover that underwater offers nothing new. Visited another planet: different colors and nothing new nor exciting. Met aliens who are happy with me when I choose the "do nothing" reply when they do terrible things to me. Am taught new words when I choose "do nothing" whilst talking to a monolith. Shoot rocks for Iron, shoot red things for Plutonium. The latter two I do all the time because of all the sodding technology that depletes.

3 hours ago, matt0 said:

I was skeptical about NMS after about 2 years of identical trailers that failed to show continuous gameplay or give any sense of the combat at all. Also I remember being directed towards one video after talking about my concerns on here that showed the player firing on AI craft that didn't respond to being under fire at all and just continued on their pre-baked flight path.

It was the enthusiasm on here that won me over despite the backlash and the issues with the PC version and I think my general skepticism actually helped in my enjoyment of the game because I wasn't expecting anything more than super basic game mechanics. 

Also I'm a massive geek for procedural generation since I first discovered old-school roguelikes in the 90s so I'm in heaven playing this. It's the most advanced example of high-fidelity procedurally generated 3D landscapes I've ever seen. Maybe it doesn't match up with some of the prerelease footage but the best ever is still the best ever. 

May well have been me you discussed the ship combat with. I thought it looked arcadey and simple, but it's actually one area that's greatly improved since the early trailers. In those you see the player downing ships in one shot, which looks more basic than something like Starfox. In the finished game however the dogfights are fairly involved, and the enemy ships react with gusto.

It remains quite flawed due to the flight/height restrictions, at least in atmosphere, but you can get some quite dramatic moments with enemy ships zooming about at close range, and corkscrewing straight towards you as they explode:

20160827012615_zpswy1wdofq.png

20160827013137_zpslldwjpq0.png

20160827013250_zpsblxilrry.png

It probably won't be enough to convince anyone who doesn't like the game, but it's surely one area in which it cannot be denied that they improved upon what was originally shown.

On 27/08/2016 at 03:08, RubberJohnny said:

Apparently discoveries aren't being saved

They're being erased in chronological order, which makes me think it isn't actually saving everything to a database, but instead each player is allocated a certain amount of storage, and they didn't expect people to fill it up or go backwards.

That's a massive disappointment and really takes a bit of the shine off the game. No-one will ever see the amazing names I gave to all nasty spider crabs on a planet I christianed Nope!

14 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Pretty sure it's bollocks.  Nothing is being erased.

It is. Unfortunately a lot of news sites have now run with it without checking for themselves.

It looks like the original post has been deleted from reddit too after the author realised they got it wrong.

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Speaking of which, when the hell is that flipping Monkey Goes To The Moon game coming out Pickford you crook!

give them a break they are a small dev team having to follow fashion and so they are adding 18 quintillion moons and the monkey is procedural.

23 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

It is. Unfortunately a lot of news sites have now run with it without checking for themselves.

It looks like the original post has been deleted from reddit too after the author realised they got it wrong.

About sums up a lot of the rage aimed at this game for me.

7 minutes ago, JPickford said:

You got me there.  PM me your address.

sertiouslty 1000 hrs was not enough

I wouldn't mind but it wasnt even procedural and yet I spent fucking hrs trying to perfect those levels.

I want my life back Pickford :P

9 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Ironically,  Monkey *is* procedural although there are only 9 moons.   They go on for a fair bit though.

and here come the Molyneux-esque promises.

they go on a fair bit? I can just see Reddit pulling that statement to pieces 2 weeks after release!

6 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I wonder how it works.  I guess it's Steam/Valve making the decision.  Then again the game *is* missing promised features.

which promised features are we talking about (been on hols for a week)... is it still the multiplayer thing or is it the ridiculous reddit list still doing the rounds.

either way surely the incredibly mixed reviews plus Steam reviews plus 2 hrs of playing it should be enouhg?

I'd say the multiplayer is the main one.   Lots of little stuff missing too but the multiplayer appears to be a big fat lie at the moment.

For the record I love the game and have played it almost constantly since launch.  Including a few all day session.  No idea how long altogether as there's no timer on PS4 as far as I know.