IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Overhype drive engaged!

Nespresso

Who believed there was "substantial" multiplayer based on the PR

what form did they expect multiplayer to take based on that PR

And surely 2hrs was enough to notice it was missing let alone 50 hrs.

For the record I expected there to be no multiplayer (given your scepticism Id hope youd say the same :) ) and any I imagined there might be might be the likes of noticing shadows of players and naming etc. Which is almost irrelevant to the gaming excperience.

Will this open up the floodgates? There must be quite a few other games that launched without features that never attracted this amount of fuss. 

I think it's a shame the game is getting such a kicking, whether one likes it or not. 

I might be wrong, and probably am, but if you've bought the game and it's missing the multiplayer component, you should know that after a few hours (even if you've been living under a rock and missed all the stuff about it being missing) and surely shouldn't be allowed to use that as a reason to get a refund (not that I'm saying people are).

8 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Who believed there was "substantial" multiplayer based on the PR

what form did they expect multiplayer to take based on that PR

And surely 2hrs was enough to notice it was missing let alone 50 hrs.

Substantial is irrelevant.  It's either there or it isn't.   They either coded it or they didn't.   They said it was there.  They said they coded it.  Currently it appears that isn't true.

8 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

The trailers were apparently advertising stuff that isn't in the game as well. Not sure if that is still the case, as I've not seen a current trailer.

The recent trailers? Not to me they weren't.

Isn't it pretty clear on Steam whether a game is multi player or not? Seem to remember they state if a game is single or multi player.

12 minutes ago, Clipper said:

it does say single player on steam

That doesn't undo all the times Sean Murray said you can meet other players.

If he'd come out and said the feature was dropped then I don't think many people would complain.   But as far as I can tell he's still not clarified.   When two people found themselves in the exact same location at the same time he tweeted about it and came out with some apparent bollocks about server overload.

To correct myself: Seems the guy who got the refund after 50 hours submitted his crash log. The game bugged out at around that point and was near constantly crashing, making it unplayable. 

That makes sense, yet I can't explain why it doesn't sit right with me. I absolutely get his point - he can no longer player that save. You could say if this was another product, you'd get a repair but who knows if a patch would ever fix that specific error?

Cant say I've not enjoyed the game. Played it long enough, and still not platinum'd it/completed the "story", etc. I do have a 48 slot exosuit and ship as well as 24 slot multitool though, and can now craft everything in the game mind, which obviously takes a lot of time. My games crashed a lot too, but nothing game breaking.

I think I've got my money's worth, lies or not from Sean/HG/Sony.

57 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

The trailers were apparently advertising stuff that isn't in the game as well. Not sure if that is still the case, as I've not seen a current trailer.

the vids on the steam page are the old trailers...ya know the old build which looks great!

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

Well the gag is you're trying to escape. But get this,  it goes on forever*.  Don't tell anyone please.

*about 2 billion rings worth of platforms I think.   Reaching 100 is very hard.

I just had my first go in years and got to 78. I don't think I ever saw much past that, the guns are too swift.

EDIT: Ooh, 89! Now I'm addicted again.

7 hours ago, Goose said:

To correct myself: Seems the guy who got the refund after 50 hours submitted his crash log. The game bugged out at around that point and was near constantly crashing, making it unplayable. 

That makes sense, yet I can't explain why it doesn't sit right with me. I absolutely get his point - he can no longer player that save. You could say if this was another product, you'd get a repair but who knows if a patch would ever fix that specific error?

Which in one sense is fair enough, but it doesn't sit well with me either.  There's part of me that thinks if you've played for that long then the developer has earned your money.

I know we're just going round in circles here, but even the lushest planets in the final build are nowhere near the density of fauna in the trailers, and the massively decreased draw distance makes everything look substantially worse.

13 hours ago, JPickford said:

Well the gag is you're trying to escape. But get this,  it goes on forever*.  Don't tell anyone please.

*about 2 billion rings worth of platforms I think.   Reaching 100 is very hard.

image.png

Serously, when are you going to put this out? It's such a beautiful game.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

I know we're just going round in circles here, but even the lushest planets in the final build are nowhere near the density of fauna in the trailers, and the massively decreased draw distance makes everything look substantially worse.

True, but in other respects the game looks substantially better than the trailers, I would argue.

14 hours ago, Goose said:

People on Neogaf getting a refund after 50 hours of gameplay. That shouldn't be on.

Aside from the fact that the game explicitly does not feature elements advertised for several years, the "movement" of the game is so incredibly slow that high playing times of few or no discoveries is not a surprise. As a weird aside, I remember being told how old Star Wars game KOTOR opened up after 17 hours, which to me is unforgiveable.

I think I've spent about 9 hours on it so far, and haven't touched it since (been too tired to challenge for a refund on PSN); at least one of those hours was spent bobbing forwards on a surface of water. That isn't fun.

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Why on earth were you doing that?

I was trying to get to a checkpoint marked from space, which curiously kept getting further away the closer I tried flying to it. So I got out, and bobbed for fucking ages on the water to get to the checkpoint, which ended up being a waste of time.

This thread is funny. The older named on planets bit being saved news issue is actually non news as the user eventually saw stuff re-appear so it was server issues. However, loads of news sites have run with the initial post and completely failed to follow it up when the OP later states that it's all fine now.

I feel sorry for the NMS team as it seems that no matter what they do or have done, various things have been said by them and analysed to the nth degree.
Not sure of this is a new thing since MS seem to get it in the neck in a similar way when announcing hardware. Media industry stirring it up at the first sign of contradiction or companies just needing to get their shit in order when managing the PR? I think it starts off with the PR and is then escalated by various sites for clicks.

In other news my game crashed and I'm still a little clueless on how to navigate to areas of interest once I arrive at a planet. Is there an easy way to set a course? I either overshoot in orbit or enter atmosphere and the hen have to fly 15 minutes. Boring. Clearly I am doing it wrong. Help.

19 hours ago, rafaqat said:

This thread is funny. The older named on planets bit being saved news issue is actually non news as the user eventually saw stuff re-appear so it was server issues. However, loads of news sites have run with the initial post and completely failed to follow it up when the OP later states that it's all fine now.

I feel sorry for the NMS team as it seems that no matter what they do or have done, various things have been said by them and analysed to the nth degree.
Not sure of this is a new thing since MS seem to get it in the neck in a similar way when announcing hardware. Media industry stirring it up at the first sign of contradiction or companies just needing to get their shit in order when managing the PR? I think it starts off with the PR and is then escalated by various sites for clicks.

In other news my game crashed and I'm still a little clueless on how to navigate to areas of interest once I arrive at a planet. Is there an easy way to set a course? I either overshoot in orbit or enter atmosphere and the hen have to fly 15 minutes. Boring. Clearly I am doing it wrong. Help.

There is no media stirring or any kind of over analysis about what they said, not on the important stuff anyways. They clearly claimed some things, which are important, would be in the game and they are not. They deserve all they get, the good and the bad. 

23 hours ago, JPickford said:

Yes still working on it.

I just made it up to 105! 

Is there any reason you can't release it as is? Personally I wouldn't change anything about it, and I especially like the lo-fi nature of the reused Magnetic Billiards assets.

I'd like to see proper instructions though. I love it when the 'Marvellous' pops out, but I never really know why it was marvellous. It might be score related, but you can't concentrate on the scoring when playing.

23 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Much like Peter Molyneux, the response might be disproportionate, but most companies manage to release games without claiming before release that they will have a bunch of features that they don't have. Similarly, Microsoft have gotten more shit from the press over the last few years because they have repeatedly failed to brief all of their PR people on the same things, leading to mixed messages.

Everything on the internet gets blown out of proportion, but there wouldn't be as many people as there are feeling aggrieved if there wasn't any basis to the issues. By the same measure, Microsoft specifically chose to allow mixed messages to be related to the media by their PR people.

4 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

There is no media stirring or any kind of over analysis about what they said, not on the important stuff anyways. They clearly claimed some things, which are important, would be in the game and they are not. They deserve all they get, the good and the bad. 

I don't agree with that - they received death threats when they delayed the game a few months. I can't imagine the abuse they are receiving now, but I suspect most of it is not deserved.