IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Overhype drive engaged!

Nespresso

2 hours ago, dood said:

I disagree, to me it is obvious that there were a ton of half-developed, or hastily-added components to the game's systems.

That is something that absolutely could have been addressed given more time/money.

More money and time is just as likely to add more polish and variety to boring things. 

I've never known money to make a game more likely to be fun to play. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many multi-million dollar clunkathons.

3 hours ago, ronin said:

Maybe its because most of you are British and this is a British studio?

Im not saying nationalism is influencing your point of view, but I do sense a certain forgiveness towards something which is one of the most shameful PR campaigns in the history of videogames, and I dont think this kind of apologism will serve to avoid similar situations for indie developers in the future.

You've got us there, it's true. Just like that time we all defended Peter Molyneux during the Godus fiasco.

10 hours ago, Trigg said:

I think for a lot of people the problem is/was that he told us his dream game and then didn't include a lot of what he said was going to be in there into the final game.

I mean, I'm not one of those idiots that throw abuse at a man about a game, but I was disappointed with NMS.

This point has been repeatedly made, in this very thread no less, but those with genuine criticisms are still bundled in with the frothing brigade calling for Murray's end via decapitation. 

K's post there, for example, swerves perilously close to 'If you wanted a better game, maybe YOU should have coded it!' Which, as we know, is a sure way to silence critics no matter if applied to games, literature, art, or film. 

10 hours ago, ZOK said:

More money and time is just as likely to add more polish and variety to boring things. 

I've never known money to make a game more likely to be fun to play. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many multi-million dollar clunkathons.

Have you actually played it, sir?

No, as I said below:

16 hours ago, ZOK said:

But you are essentially agreeing with me. I didn't say it can't work, I said it needed more engaging gameplay mechanics to work as is. That's not a problem of lack of money, it's a problem of lack of design.

I always go to GTA as an example because it's the perfect example. You can happily launch a superbike of a random wall anywhere in San Andreas for hours, just because it's fun to do it. And that applies to a million things in that world.

Of course, if they had more money to spend on better designers, maybe...but it's just a big game of what if. I don't think more money would have changed how they perceived what they were creating.

And the gameplay is still satisfying to some. I've never played it of course, I'm just going off the comments of people in here.

Has there been any news on Hello working on an update for this?  Personally, I love the game.  I find it one of the most relaxing ways to spend some free time, but I do agree it could do with a bit more to do in the game, and just surprised that everything has gone quiet about it - have they just tried to kick it under the carpet and pretend it never existed?!

20 hours ago, K said:

The most galling thing about all this is the way that these angry entitled capital G gamer types have cast themselves as the victims and Sean Murray as the villain, presumably because he had the nerve to make his dream game rather than theirs. 

Maybe he should've clarified what game he was making and not implied that it was everyone's dream game. He's an adult who chose to exaggerate his product then chose not to clarify people's interpretations of those exaggerations, and he and the team stood to make a substantial amount of money from sales of the game that were intrinsically tied to the information they were distributing about the game. I don't think anyone here thinks it's ok to abuse anyone the way people abuse anyone visible on twitter, but it's also not particularly hard to understand why people are annoyed. Lumping everyone who has expressed dissatisfaction at a clearly overhyped game in with a tiny minority of abusive people on Twitter isn't going to help anyone discuss this in a calm way, you're just insulting anyone who has actual issues with the game or its marketing that they're willing to discuss like adults.

On 1 October 2016 at 08:48, Broker said:

It's tough when you tell clear lies, and you make statements that aren't factual, and you say things that aren't true and then people have the gall to call you a liar! I hope it doesn't dim his childish enthusiasm for bullshitting people.

On 29 September 2016 at 09:55, Broker said:

Why would stopping the industry from acting like lying cunts fuck it? If they've not got anything decent to sell without lying about it they don't deserve to be doing it for a living or to keep existing, they're literally failing at the one thing they're supposed to do and lying to cover that up.

Good luck with that calm, adult discussion with those lying cunts.

The people behind these hacks are arseholes, but we shouldn't let that make us think that Hello Games are the good guys here, while they don't deserve this the way they went about their business in the time before launch, and post launch was awful and they are deserving of huge criticism.

• 4 weeks later...

New patch coming soon:

This week Hello Games will be releasing an update to No Man’s Sky. We’re calling it The Foundation Update, because we have added the foundations of base building, and also because this is putting in place a foundation for things to come.

Detailed patch notes will follow, and release will be soon.

Further information in the link:

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/news

=========

Kinda glad I kept the game now. I was a big fan of it tbh.