1080 or SSX3?

Thread Owner

I was up late last night trying to get those perfect runs needed for some of the time trial coins - the handling is very satisfying indeed.

True. But I found that after a continued period of play on SSX 3 1080 was really hard to get back into. But the feedback from the board in 1080 is excellent and you really feel the transition between the different layer of snow and ice where as SSX 3 only seems to have two ground textures - ice (which is also used for the grind rails, barriers etc) and deep snow.

SSX3 isn't "style over substance" at all. It's a beautiful, UNREALISTIC, competant and highly enjoyable snowboarding game, while 1080 feels more boring and doesn't grab me as much.

I love the vastness of the SSX3 tracks a lot. And practically everything else about the game.

The world has gone mad. But at least you all think thatAmped 2 is the worst of the bunch by far.

I like both 1080: A and Amped 2. But for very different reasons. I'm sure there is enough room in the universe for them all to co-exist with everyone being happy. Don't buy EA games as a rule (opens up an entirely new kettle of fish) so haven't played SSX3.

I did say "as a rule", so it's not like I'm saying I'll never buy one ever. I don't know why I feel the need to justify myself but...

It's not like I go out of my way to avoid them, it's just that although they are admittedly getting better at making games (albeit 95% franchises and licenses) they don't make anything with enough creative spark to justify buying them.

If you can name 5 must-have games from EA in the last 18 months I'd be happy to tell you why I didn't buy them.

Wasn't impressed with 1080 at all when I bought it. Remember commening to Rantin James at the Jesus meet in december how very disapointed I was that it had become so arcadey. It didn't seem as realistic, the controls seemed stiff and unresponsive, and overall it just felt poor.

Oh how wrong I was.

GamesTM gave it a 7 in their review, and called it a "grower". so I gave it another chance, and now absoloutely love it to bits. It really is about playing one mode of racing, then unlocking new boards in time trial, then doing the harder races... and so on. The feeling of progression is briliiantly rewrding, and the tirck system is among the best in ANY extreme sports title - simplistic yet with hidden depths.

All the game really lacks is special moves unique to each character, but I can live without that. and the ability to race against more than 1 opponent would have been nice, but then it might just not feel like 1080.

1080's brilliant. get it.

I'm bored of 1080 already - I had already completed all the races and gate challenges after a few of hours worth of (funnage!) playing and enough time trial coin collecting to unlock the best boards. Going back to it last night, the boarding itself wasn't fun enough to sustain my interest, while there's nothing left to do apart from the trick modes, which didn't really grab me.

I still love just speeding down the moutnain but surely it wouldn't have been hard to throw in some super-difficult challenges to keep gamers going once all the modes had been complete.

Also is there a really big super-Avalanche waiting for me at the end of extreme mode as I am struggling through that at the moment.

One think that bugs me... why the hell did they put those codes in to access the avalanches... why not just have them unlock upon completion in a seperate 'mode' window?

It's the same avalanche as the one you did to unlock extreme mode, just mirrored.

And the avalanche codes I agree on - I can't see any reason for their inclusion.

One think that bugs me... why the hell did they put those codes in to access the avalanches... why not just have them unlock upon completion in a seperate 'mode' window?

I was wondering the same. I've got a memory card, why would I want to write down a code?

Who ever decided the balance metre was a good idea needs to change jobs. It just dosen't fit the game, the idea of a balance metre isn't wrong the implementation is just awful.

On the whole i'm enjoying and its only 27.99 at Virgin.

In multiplayer you can play against 3 friends

Which offers no challenge at all when you've completed the game and your flatmates have only ever played it a couple of times.

This in fact, inspires in them what I call "This-is-crap-lets-play-Mario-Kart" syndrome ;)

I've owned and loved every SSX game.

I now have 1080: Avalance too, but haven't put much time into it yet; however, this is mainly because I've not really got into it. I tried it again at the weekend but just got a bit bored by it. I'll give it a couple more chances, but soon I'm going to give up on it - I just don't find it very exciting.

Oh - also, if it's of any relevance, I did enjoy WaveRace: BS.

Which offers no challenge at all when you've completed the game and your flatmates have only ever played it a couple of times.

This in fact, inspires in them what I call "This-is-crap-lets-play-Mario-Kart" syndrome ;)

True of any multiplayer game to be fair.

Best multiplayer in 1080 is taking it in turns to race tracks and get the best times. Still at somewhat of advantage against 1080 novices mind.

I got 1080 yesterday, and I think it's fucking ace so far. Not even onto the gate mode, trick attack or trials yet. Just finished Extreme match race and it's just superb. They've really conveyed the speed well. It feels fast and it feels like you're there. The clothing blowing back in the wind, the snow flying towards you, the excellent sliding sound effects and the short judder of the pad. Top stuff. And the fear it puts into you as that avalanche is piling behind you, it's just the best rush I've had from a game in ages.

However, the music is pathetic. Turn it off and let the sound effects do their job. Also the balance control is ridiculous. You might be heading for a wall or something and you simply can't turn away because you have to frantically spin the 3D stick. Really messes up the pace of the game.

Still, I was expecting it to be quite far from the excellence of the original. Pleasantly surprised, I am.