IGNORED

The One Film You Know That You Really Should See

Waggo

Generally it's pretty easy to watch any film, any time. However, I do have one and it is It's A Wonderful Life, we want to watch it around Christmas time or when it's nice and snowy and cosy inside but we always end up too busy to get round to it when the time comes.

I can't think of any well known famous films I haven't seen (excluding this year's releases) so I'll have to say either The Mother and the Whore or The Human Condition, both highly regarded by film fans but their respective lengths have always put me off.  

Apocalypse Now.

Watching films always puts me to sleep regardess of how interesting or in tune with my taste they are. I lie on my bed when watching films and think to rest my eyes for a few minutes which turns into an hour. I usually watch a film after getting up on the weekend for that reason..still happens though.

I've had about 3 attempts at A Tale of Two Sisters  !

Lawrence of Arabia and The Deer Hunter are two that spring to mind. It's usually the longer films that I never get around to, or I end up only watching a bit of them because life intrudes. You need to make time for these types of film, they're not something you watch on a whim. And I don't like watching films in more than one sitting, as I feel I'm not getting the proper experience if I don't watch it all in one go. Hence, for the two films I mentioned, I usually end up leaving a longish period between attempts at watching them. I've seen the wedding in The Deer Hunter about five times, but never gotten any further.

I know just what you mean with The Deer Hunter. I saw the wedding 3 or 4 times as well before I eventually managed the full film.  It is a slow burner for definite, but needs to be to give you an understanding of the characters, and how what they experience in Vietnam changes them.

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

12 Angry Men, Taxi Driver, Citizen Kane and that film about The Joker in an insane asylum. Forgot what it's called.

I would wager that if you watched 12 angry men you would come into this thread and proclaim it one of the best films you've ever seen and holy shit why hadn't you watched it before now. It's not a stuffy old black and white that you 'should' watch. It's totally gripping and entertaining and the time absolutely flies past

6 hours ago, lordcookie said:

I can't think of any well known famous films I haven't seen (excluding this year's releases) so I'll have to say either The Mother and the Whore or The Human Condition, both highly regarded by film fans but their respective lengths have always put me off.  

I found the former a long slog and didn't get much out of it. We were all itching to get out of the cinema. It was a long time ago though and maybe I'm more sophisticated now. IIRC Toblerone likes it. 

3 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Shoah due to length. I really should just break it down into 90 min chunks.

This was on iPlayer within the past year or two, and it's probably best viewed in chunks like that as a TV series. Not sure I could have coped with one of these weekend long screenings. I don't think it's primary value is from a cinephile perspective, the testimony in it is something you'll never forget. Not to be approached casually, it's as tough as you might imagine. 

Yes, I watched it all over a period of a month or two, compressed towards the end as it was about to fall off iPlayer which gave me the impetus to finish it. I downloaded some of the follow up films he made from the footage, but I didn't finish all of them.

You really should watch that.

I've seen the majority of the classics having watched the ones I hadn't seen in the IMDb top 250 a while back. I tend to avoid all period drama and romcoms though so I've not seen stuff like Pride and Prejudice or 4 weddings n a funeral.