What is spinning on your turntable?

This was a gift and I'd had too much going on to enjoy these things. 

I must watch the beastie Boys film. 

The a side to this record is punk... Raw/hardcore... . But I like it.... I never knew this is how they were before hip hop. 

It's new to me.... So going to spin it over the weekend on repeat. 

IMG_20210130_152125.jpg

On 31/01/2021 at 01:22, RastanSaga said:

I must watch the beastie Boys film. 

The one on Apple TV? I read one review that absolutely savaged it, and reading it detailed everything I thought I would hate about it if it was made in this way. 

12 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Alice Cooper "From the inside" from 1978 - Alice partners with Bernie Taupin for this one, and it's a full on west end musical type experience as you'd expect.

spacer.png

I love this album. Featuring Marcella Detroit on vocals over a decade before Shakespear's Sister!

12 minutes ago, Darren said:

I love this album. Featuring Marcella Detroit on vocals over a decade before Shakespear's Sister!

I had no idea, had to google that, she changed her name since 1978. 

Alice did some really good stuff over the years, including his solo albums up until his Warner contract ended. "Goes to Hell" should have been called "Goes to Funk!"

I like loads of his later stuff too, even now he still puts out the odd gem. I even have a soft spot for his early 80s new wave coke-fuelled insanity period, which was at least more interesting than his late 80s hair-metal phase (and even that got better as it went along).

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

...his late 80s hair-metal phase (and even that got better as it went along).

I really tuned out with Poison, Hey Stoopid etc. and didn't come back. What albums beyond that point are worth listening to?

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

I really tuned out with Poison, Hey Stoopid etc. and didn't come back. What albums beyond that point are worth listening to?

The very next album, The Last Temptation, is IMHO utterly brilliant. It’s like a return to the mid-70s style but with 90s production, and has Chris Cornell as co-writer and singer on a couple of tracks. And it’s a concept album like many of his 70s classics. One of the songs sounds like Abbey Road era Beatles!

Then the next after that, Brutal Planet, is also good if you want to hear Alice doing Marilyn Manson style industrial rock. After that it’s diminishing returns but always listenable. His most recent album (until next month) Paranormal from a few years ago is probably the best from the last twenty years although Welcome 2 My Nightmare (yes, a sequel album!) is also worth a listen but has a few toe curlingly bad tracks so it’s not really an unreserved recommendation.

5 hours ago, englishbob said:

The one on Apple TV? I read one review that absolutely savaged it, and reading it detailed everything I thought I would hate about it if it was made in this way. 

It’s fantastic, as is the book its been slimmed down from.

CC9E16DD-8D0D-496C-B288-FD0D1B45FD2B.thumb.jpeg.1fa4f090645a5fb2e5dbbb946773c360.jpeg

KOLARS debut album from a few years ago. If you ever get a chance to see them live, do! They’re a brilliant live act, mainly due to the bonkers tap dancing drummer.

Got my turntable (Audio Technica LP120 & Sonos 5) set up today so thanks for the help in ATF with that.

What I assume is a totally obvious question to some of you is that the sound is perfectly fine. However on some of my old 80s & 90s records I get a slight tinny echo of the song possibly through the needle if I walk up to the turntable whilst it is playing. It's not really affecting anything but I just wonder if it's something to do with the more mass produced pressings of that era. My Cowboy Bebop OST/GNR Use Your Illusion 1 (both brand new and presumably pressed in the last year) don't suffer like Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff from 1989.

TIA!

As to what's spinning on my turntable right now - spooky cowboy nonsense:

IMG_0830.jpeg

On 03/02/2021 at 14:31, DirkCrisis said:

Got my turntable (Audio Technica LP120 & Sonos 5) set up today so thanks for the help in ATF with that.

What I assume is a totally obvious question to some of you is that the sound is perfectly fine. However on some of my old 80s & 90s records I get a slight tinny echo of the song possibly through the needle if I walk up to the turntable whilst it is playing. It's not really affecting anything but I just wonder if it's something to do with the more mass produced pressings of that era. My Cowboy Bebop OST/GNR Use Your Illusion 1 (both brand new and presumably pressed in the last year) don't suffer like Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff from 1989.

TIA!

As to what's spinning on my turntable right now - spooky cowboy nonsense:

IMG_0830.jpeg

Yeah you can hear the music if you play records by listening to the stylus. Effectively that's the signal that's being amplified.