What is spinning on your turntable?

On 01/02/2021 at 16:27, englishbob said:

Alice Cooper "From the inside" from 1978 - Alice partners with Bernie Taupin for this one, and it's a full on west end musical type experience as you'd expect.

spacer.png

On 01/02/2021 at 16:41, Darren said:

I love this album. Featuring Marcella Detroit on vocals over a decade before Shakespear's Sister!

Man, I had totally forgotten, but I'm pretty sure I had this on gatefold, bought back in the 80s. Must dig it out.

On 01/02/2021 at 20:23, Darren said:

Just to bring us back on topic...

C68CF04B-5404-429B-8BFB-F9450A02ED4A.thumb.jpeg.bf03eb68dc99a19a34eb7234e5770b2f.jpeg

The best post-70s Alice Cooper album.

Yeah, a real return to form.

On 03/02/2021 at 19:37, Mike1812 said:

Some oldies today from my Dad's collection:

IMG_20210203_180539.thumb.jpg.0909c31462cedce90082802e8172ad7d.jpg

Is it bad that I never took the black plastic off mine? Slit it down the side to get the vinyl out...

Bought this in the Crash Records sale - Galactic Protector. Synthesiser solo album by a bloke from stoner metal band The Sword. Lush dayglo vinyl. 

Still available from Crash for £13!

D0407640-49EA-43F5-8211-E2A1B69BFAAC.jpeg

Having a go with a knackered copy of Eat em and Smile although it can't be good for the needle even though I cleaned the disc with a carbon brush. Also found a cheap-ish cork and rubber slip mat and a nice milled aluminium 45 adapter off eBay which are really my only 2 upgrades outside of maybe a different cartridge at some point in the future

A0768A41-67B9-4AC4-B0EB-92BE6B30F23F.jpeg

81AAF3ED-7AED-4040-B892-01225A9012F9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

I’ve looked at that before but it looks like it would wreck the record - does it work without scratching? I’ve got quite a few records that have seen heavy DJ activity and my go to Big Fudge cleaner gives an improvement but won’t shift their serious dirt:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DVSTBXM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_JNZKH1KTV6DV1YXN4T40

Just now, ZOK said:

I’ve looked at that before but it looks like it would wreck the record - does it work without scratching? I’ve got quite a few records that have seen heavy DJ activity and my go to Big Fudge cleaner gives an improvement but won’t shift their serious dirt:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DVSTBXM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_JNZKH1KTV6DV1YXN4T40

Yeah it's super soft so anything stuck to it will just sink into it.

On 05/02/2021 at 19:32, Twinbee said:

Bought this in the Crash Records sale - Galactic Protector. Synthesiser solo album by a bloke from stoner metal band The Sword. Lush dayglo vinyl. 

Still available from Crash for £13!

D0407640-49EA-43F5-8211-E2A1B69BFAAC.jpeg

Cheers, I had a look at their site after your post and picked up this as a little treat:

14B54A3D-4A94-4F5C-BB1C-AF82D4458C3D.thumb.jpeg.7178304f60449d422841f9a68c892021.jpeg

Rammstein’s latest (from 2 years ago). This is what I bought a turntable for. Whilst it’s not my favourite album ever, I love the effort which has gone in to producing this record. I think it’s a beautiful piece of commercial art (a bit like the Cowboy Bebop OST) and I’m pleased to own it.

D8135EB7-F3F8-49B3-A1C2-67EF4DD1209E.jpeg

I've had a busy week with music. Not shown:

Unseen Series 1

https://analogicalforce.bandcamp.com/album/afus01-unseen-series-i

Shown:

Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame 12" Box Set

Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell 12" Box Set

Both reduced at Amazon so I had to add them to my DM collection, even though I have the originals.... I wish I could afford the Violator and Songs of Faith & Devotion box sets.

Fah - Fahzers Set to Earth. Or as it's also known, CPU Records 00000001.

A well timed purchase of a long deleted release. The label tweeted about finding 10 copies down the back of the sofa and I was lucky enough to see and order it in time before it sold out minutes later. Fantastic melodic techno.

Concretism - The Concretism Archive Vol 1

Part of the Castles in Space subscription library. I've had some cracking releases from them so far and this is yet another corker.

tunes.jpg

Another noob question I'm afraid!

Do you keep the stylus cover on when not in use particularly if you use a dust cover?

I have been doing that but pulling it off and putting it back on has caused the green stylus cartridge to come off the headshell. Obviously it's easy to snap back on but I appreciate that I run the risk of damaging the stylus if it keeps falling off.

2 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Another noob question I'm afraid!

Do you keep the stylus cover on when not in use particularly if you use a dust cover?

I have been doing that but pulling it off and putting it back on has caused the green stylus cartridge to come off the headshell. Obviously it's easy to snap back on but I appreciate that I run the risk of damaging the stylus if it keeps falling off.

You only need the stylus cover for transporting - or if you’ve got busy fingered kids I guess.

The stylus should pull on and off the head shell, don’t worry about that, but if it’s falling off something’s up!

The only time I would expect to put the stylus cover on is if shipping the turntable, boxing it up for storage or before removing the cartridge.

For normal use, don't bother.

That is my all time favourite album, and the only reason I don’t have my own vinyl copy is that one of my lads has one and it seems excessive to have two in the house. But perhaps these powerful feelings of envy that picture is eliciting are telling me that I need one all to myself after all!

2 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Another raided from my Dad

IMG_20210218_204457.thumb.jpg.34c57f3a8a2269072590b2b28327f5bf.jpg

I’ve got a copy of that from my dad too, in amongst the stack of his vinyl I inherited.

Not one I know much about, I think I only know Another Brick in the Wall.

4 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve got a copy of that from my dad too, in amongst the stack of his vinyl I inherited.

Not one I know much about, I think I only know Another Brick in the Wall.

Listen to it ASAP and report back with your findings. You may well find it terrible but to me it’s the epitome of what a rock album can be.

10 hours ago, Darren said:

Listen to it ASAP and report back with your findings. You may well find it terrible but to me it’s the epitome of what a rock album can be.

Major Floyd heads seem to pour hate on this one. I personally love it - as an artform it is as extinct as they come (a concept album with massive excesses) - but it is a brave piece of work overall.

Of course Waters is in full megalomaniac mode here and many fans say that he destroyed the band with it, but the truth isn't as clear cut as that. They owed a lot of money in unpaid tax in the late 70s, other than Waters the rest of the band were out of ideas and had lost their mojo. Waters offered this or "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" as fully formed idea as the next album that would save the bands fortunes (making into a stage musical type show and a film as well) and they voted and chose "The Wall". It ended up breaking them, either in the studio or on the road performing it. 

The rest as they say is rock history. 

I went to see the show Waters did a few years back at the O2 for "The Wall" - I've never seen anything like it, and I don't think I ever will again. Nothing else will exist like this in the future. I think the film of it is available on Netflix at the moment (The live show, not the Alan Parker film)