What is spinning on your turntable?

I meant to post this yesterday. It’s on a lot of “best of 2020” lists but I’m not convinced, as most of their songs start off well but then repeat the same thing over and over again until you’re quite sick of it. One song doing that for effect would be fine, a whole album of it and it’s just tedious and annoying, which perhaps makes it the perfect 2020 album.

3F5CA392-19BC-477D-ADFA-56E04F9A8463.thumb.jpeg.e6f489b41f9c080be1e4f29470925921.jpeg

On 19/02/2021 at 10:14, englishbob said:

Major Floyd heads seem to pour hate on this one [The Wall]. I personally love it - as an artform it is as extinct as they come (a concept album with massive excesses) - but it is a brave piece of work overall.

Of course Waters is in full megalomaniac mode here and many fans say that he destroyed the band with it, but the truth isn't as clear cut as that.

It's an odd one - I was big into the Floyd at the time and had picked up all of their other stuff, at a time when I had to save my dinner money to buy records. But I never bought The a Wall or the Final Cut on release - they never quite tipped into essential purchase territory.

But I had a copy of The Wall I taped off a mate, and I can still now hear tracks in my head, despite not having heard it for what, 30 years now? It has its moments of genius.

Weirdly, I have thousands of CDs now, but still no copy of The Wall...

On 02/02/2021 at 21:35, Darren said:

CC9E16DD-8D0D-496C-B288-FD0D1B45FD2B.thumb.jpeg.1fa4f090645a5fb2e5dbbb946773c360.jpeg

KOLARS debut album from a few years ago. If you ever get a chance to see them live, do! They’re a brilliant live act, mainly due to the bonkers tap dancing drummer.

I totally regret not buying the LP when we saw them (twice) in good old Ramsgate. They're good on record and as you rightly say, amazing live! 

Miraculously found on eBay for £20. I’ve had a couple of misses of late paying out for something and then finding it £5 cheaper somewhere else a few days later., but this one felt like a bit more of a win. Not a bargain, but an OK price.

47F1FCCC-B08D-47D0-A028-D859D032A10F.jpeg

On 10/03/2021 at 13:26, DirkCrisis said:

Miraculously found on eBay for £20. I’ve had a couple of misses of late paying out for something and then finding it £5 cheaper somewhere else a few days later., but this one felt like a bit more of a win. Not a bargain, but an OK price.

47F1FCCC-B08D-47D0-A028-D859D032A10F.jpeg

£20 is a bargain these days. It would sound better than a reissue too

On 11/03/2021 at 14:44, Disgraced Toblerone said:

I fucking love Mogwai.

D6F0023E-81E2-4CCB-8C9D-3555146B7072.jpeg

Me too even bought a t-shirt this week. What's your favourite track of theirs cos I think Mogwai Fear Satan live into My Father My King are mine.  Mainly cos I got to experience it live a few years ago it was just :omg:

24 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Me too even bought a t-shirt this week. What's your favourite track of theirs cos I think Mogwai Fear Satan live into My Father My King are mine.  Mainly cos I got to experience it live a few years ago it was just :omg:

Cody or Like Herod probably. 

(and I also adore the Zidane documentary OST!)

56 minutes ago, englishbob said:

£20 is a bargain these days. It would sound better than a reissue too

You've just reminded me of something else I meant to mention in this thread. tl;dr - I don't mind re-issues assuming they're done right but they could be missing stuff.

*adopts Abe Simpson voice*

When I got into this the other month, I wanted to resurrect some of my old vinyl and buy a few of my favourite albums that I'd had on cassette/CD/MD/Digital for a number of decades. I've been looking for records which claim they are re-issues from the original analogue masters because I genuinely believe they sound good (or I've just drunk the Discogs Kool Aid) but the one thing I hadn't considered with re-issues is that they might be missing tracks. Case in point was a re-issue of "The Real Thing" by Faith No More from last year. It's missing their cover of War Pigs I assume because of licensing reasons and whilst it isn't my favourite track, the record feels a bit incomplete without it.

Recent additions to the collection:

tt1.thumb.jpg.c4b9dbb4602e379b715ca9e739c8a417.jpg

tt2.thumb.jpg.e63aba33d60e52a2ca8da2dc56c48cca.jpg

The one on the left (and playing on the 1210) is some retro bleepy dance type stuff that sounds Sheffield inspired and reminds me of another 12" from the good old days (TM). The 12" it reminds me of is Man Machine by Man Machine, a great dance track from 1989 (yikes, I'm so old) that doesn't get the praise it deserves.

The purple sleeve on the right is a new EP by Nadia Struiwigh who released one of my favourite albums on the CPU Records label a couple of years ago.

This 12" gets a deservedly great write up here:

https://www.juno.co.uk/junodaily/2021/03/11/the-best-new-singles-this-week-2/

These are all from Juno who should build a new wing to their offices and name it after me. Postie should hopefully be delivering me some more stuff tomorrow from the Bleep sale.

16 hours ago, cubik said:

Recent additions to the collection:

tt1.thumb.jpg.c4b9dbb4602e379b715ca9e739c8a417.jpg

tt2.thumb.jpg.e63aba33d60e52a2ca8da2dc56c48cca.jpg

The one on the left (and playing on the 1210) is some retro bleepy dance type stuff that sounds Sheffield inspired and reminds me of another 12" from the good old days (TM). The 12" it reminds me of is Man Machine by Man Machine, a great dance track from 1989 (yikes, I'm so old) that doesn't get the praise it deserves.

The purple sleeve on the right is a new EP by Nadia Struiwigh who released one of my favourite albums on the CPU Records label a couple of years ago.

This 12" gets a deservedly great write up here:

https://www.juno.co.uk/junodaily/2021/03/11/the-best-new-singles-this-week-2/

These are all from Juno who should build a new wing to their offices and name it after me. Postie should hopefully be delivering me some more stuff tomorrow from the Bleep sale.

Hah, I’ve been suckered into that too, their emails are proving to be catnip!

I got this delivered yesterday:

AFCC2E48-28E7-4958-877D-8EC8953CB479.thumb.jpeg.3a4e8a9278ab6c727fb31d2040dc3d6c.jpeg

I can’t recommend it enough, a German disco tune from 1981 with three amazing remixes, on a label called Schatzimusik - a bargain frankly.

They are also selling an amazing Herbie Hancock re-issue, two long lost disco remixes of Stars In Your Eyes and Saturday Night...I’d better mention that in the Soul thread now I think I about it.

20210313_085822.thumb.jpg.058923c102291131863a33ae449f0598.jpg

New to all this - the turntable arrived last weekend and the speakers yesterday.

Already bought 18 records. I can see how this could get expensive.

Still think this first album was the best one James Blake put out, it's a fantastic album.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Still think this first album was the best one James Blake put out, it's a fantastic album.

Setup looks cool, I like the speakers.

Agree about James Blake too.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

20210313_085822.thumb.jpg.058923c102291131863a33ae449f0598.jpg

That's a sweet system, very clean looking. What speakers are they?

18 records is a good start, wait till you hit discogs, then you'll be thinking "I'm paying for postage anyway so adding a couple more records to this order is actually saving me money!"

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

Hah, I’ve been suckered into that too, their emails are proving to be catnip!

I've reduced my music email mailing list subscriptions down because a lot of record stores are unsurprisingly just selling the same things.

I try to stick to ones that don't just give you a list of releases but put some effort into mini reviews and write ups and have a carefully curated selection. I'm currently getting emails from:

Piccadilly Records. In normal times, this would also be my most visited record shop. They have pretty eclectic tastes so there's always something interesting on there.

Juno. Their emails are split into specific genres so I tend to focus on techno/electro/hip hop

Bleep. Their weekly roundup is a great read and the site itself is one of the best for previewing records.

Norman Records. A bit of everything, they also have a weekly spotify playlist to follow.

Bandcamp. Emails from specific artists I'm following