What is spinning on your turntable?

Oh Danny Boy

15 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

A collection of ultra rare funk 7" singles chosen by DJ Shadow.

1626376413886521184909250446898.jpg

Don't forget Keb. In fact, I think this series of releases is all Keb Darge + guest, no?

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Don't forget Keb. In fact, I think this series of releases is all Keb Darge + guest, no?

I don't know who Keb is, according to the sleeve notes he ran a record stall in a market. I also have the Pete Rock Funk Spectrum Compilation. Considering these are albums from the pre internet era and I lived in the backwater sticks of the West of Scotland. I think I was doing pretty well back in my collecting days.

16264357760024419371056661964551.jpg

Keb Darge is a Scottish DJ, famous for his super rare funk collection. He started out as a dancer in the Northern Soul scene and features in a lot of those old clips you see of Wigan. He used to play regularly at Madame Jojo’s in Soho at a night called Deep Funk which was amazing. He is behind a lot of these rare funk compilations. 

Sadly he mostly plays rockabilly these days 😕

Last time I saw him was at the Hook and Sling funk festival in London. When I asked if I could get a picture with him, he said, “cocks in or out?”

Thanks to @JamesC’s teenage crush thread I discovered this amazing slice of wax by Anne Pigalle - I played the 12” of He! Stranger to death as a kid, what a joy to discover it’s from a perfect album:

9806BF2A-B826-4A40-BDCA-B72CA51244B8.thumb.jpeg.c4784c03decea973f1af3f2935eab01f.jpeg

AC0BF99C-05CE-47B6-8512-ED9BC6596C55.jpeg

Nineteen ninety, Chubb Rock jumps up on the scene 
With a lean and a pocket full of green 
The green doesn't symbolize I made it on the top 
But Robocop last year was a shock…

Yes.

EDIT: This reminds me of my mate's excellent joke. We went to see RA the Rugged Man. Support act was a rapper named Locksmith. During his act my mate shouted out, "do a Chubb Lock song!"

11 hours ago, Kingpin said:

New album due from Badbadnotgood in October. Until then, III & IV will tide me over nicely. 

The spared no expense with the cover art on this one. 

0bsJEJ5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I’ve got In Your Eyes off that album in my iTunes, a fantastic track! I know nothing else about them, but I recognised that sleeve!

I'll defend that sleeve with my life if necessary, it's a class bit of design. @ZOK Maybe check out basically everything they've ever done as it's amazing, but especially that album there and especially the one they did with Ghostface. Also one of the dudes goes by the name Matty and his stuff is ace too. Aaaaand, an album called Visions by Matthew Tavares & Leland Whitty is right up your street too. 

I certainly will!

It’s a symptom of Shazam + iTunes I think, I’m always picking up odd tunes that I hear and then I never think to listen to anything else they’ve done.

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'll defend that sleeve with my life if necessary, it's a class bit of design. @ZOK Maybe check out basically everything they've ever done as it's amazing, but especially that album there and especially the one they did with Ghostface. Also one of the dudes goes by the name Matty and his stuff is ace too. Aaaaand, an album called Visions by Matthew Tavares & Leland Whitty is right up your street too. 

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

I’ve got In Your Eyes off that album in my iTunes, a fantastic track! I know nothing else about them, but I recognised that sleeve!

Oh yeah, all BBNG is quality. III remains my favourite but I enjoy practically everything they’ve done (that I’m aware of, there’s a lot). Cracking live band too.