IGNORED

What is spinning on your turntable?

Oh Danny Boy

12 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Ah well a couple of reasons. 

- pure want

- pure want

Now you put it like this, it makes perfect sense! If you can afford it, go for it.

At least you have a bit of choice, the 1200/1210 mk7 is essentially the latest version of your mk2s, the mk7R is the Red Bull themed version of the mk7 (for some reason), the GR is the "affordable" hifi version and the G is the model to aspire to.

It all comes down to how deep your pockets are!

36 minutes ago, cubik said:

Now you put it like this, it makes perfect sense! If you can afford it, go for it.

At least you have a bit of choice, the 1200/1210 mk7 is essentially the latest version of your mk2s, the mk7R is the Red Bull themed version of the mk7 (for some reason), the GR is the "affordable" hifi version and the G is the model to aspire to.

It all comes down to how deep your pockets are!

Ha well let’s be clear. I can’t afford to get anything at all. 
At the very least I should be getting both decks serviced, but I have a few other first world problems to address - a watch that needs a service and a car that needs a few things. 
I might have a look at direct mk2 vs gr comparisons just for the hell of it but tbh I don’t know if the rest of the system would really show up the differences anyway. 

Currently using a Creek 5250 and a pair of AE 109’s.  Need a new mixer too but let’s not talk about that..

The best sound upgrade you can make to a SL1200 variant (outside of a new cart) is to stop using slipmats and revert to using the thick rubber mat (Some new models don't seem to come with these as standard!)

Otherwise a SL1200 or similar Technics is all the turntable you will need for life. Just make sure to oil it once a year (follow instructions in the manual)

51 minutes ago, englishbob said:

The best sound upgrade you can make to a SL1200 variant (outside of a new cart) is to stop using slipmats and revert to using the thick rubber mat (Some new models don't seem to come with these as standard!)

Otherwise a SL1200 or similar Technics is all the turntable you will need for life. Just make sure to oil it once a year (follow instructions in the manual)

Funnily enough I’ve just located my rubber mats so will see if I can tell the difference. 
As for the annual lube, er might be a bit off schedule there…

40 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Funnily enough I’ve just located my rubber mats so will see if I can tell the difference. 
As for the annual lube, er might be a bit off schedule there…

Don't forget to adjust the VTA. It's all in the manual, in fact re-reading the set up in the manual is well worth doing and checking against

12 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Don't forget to adjust the VTA. It's all in the manual, in fact re-reading the set up in the manual is well worth doing and checking against

It would indeed be worth it we’re my height adjustment not completely seized!  Anti skate works fine and I think it’s all in the right place but there’s no avoiding sending them off tbh. 
Chaka doesn’t seem to mind:

90AFA5F6-4E64-472A-926C-B03545F5381F.jpeg

7 hours ago, Camel said:

D5962769-9300-4125-A6DF-A7328ED64433.thumb.jpeg.4d843a901a3ba1fb6aa84891b853c179.jpeg

Isn’t the angle the 1210 lid stays up the most annoying thing…..it just not quite high enough, and yet is just high enough to put a record on.  That and the lack of holder for the extra weight, otherwise just magnificent.