IGNORED

What is spinning on your turntable?

Oh Danny Boy

I love the interaction with physical music, especially vinyl. I'm old enough for these to (mostly) be the original discs I've owned from new. I've re-purchased a few of late due to a decent chunk of my collection getting wrecked and thrown away a few years ago. Tonight has been all about the originals though.

Some of these discs take me right back to the shop where I bought them, or mates houses I listened to them at or people I listened to them with. Will an mp3 do this? Doubt it.

For me, vinyl really hits the sweet spot when playing 12" singles, especially those with a few mixes. Whilst I do listen to albums on vinyl, I do think they often work better on CD, where the whole work can flow along nicely without interruption.

12" singles are great, sometimes you get an unexpected B-side or remix that just makes you smile. Some of my records have only seen light of day once or twice in the last 10+ years so I often find the B-sides sound like new tracks to me.

One thing I am pleased about is that most of my old stuff is actually in decent condition, even though I played some 12"s to death back in the day. Big Daddy Kane's Wrath of Kane is probably the one that's been played the most.

Anyways, on now is Hi-Jack - The Badman is Robbin', but here's a couple of pics from the 12" I played right before it.

ol1.jpg

ol2.jpg

In a moment of weakness I've just bought 11 x 12" singles for £8.50 plus postage on discogs. Some of them are a bit of a gamble but there's some Black Rock & Ron, Nitro Deluxe and even Go by Moby in there. There's also the guilty pleasure of The Power by Snap! which I always thought was a great song, even if everything else they did was euro-dance gash. Must be the Mantronix sample that makes it.

I've cut back on my music spending but I've just sold the pre-amp I used to use with my old amp so it only seems fair to spend the proceeds on music. It was only a cheap Behringer one but to be honest, turned out much better than I thought it would be.

It was well worth the £25 it originally cost me (sorry for mentioning cheapo pre-amps @kernow, I know yours is probably powered by unicorn horns or mermaid tears or something :) )

20 minutes ago, kernow said:

Behringer is good kit man, I'm not an audiophile with unicorns tears stuff just decent kit which took ten years to build up. Notice how I haven't posted in here much? I haven't played a record for a good six weeks. Haven't been in the mood. Bought two or three though. 

Will return to form soon

Sorry man, I don't really think of you in the same terms as the "silver plated fuses and £500 usb cables" mob - you were just the first one to spring to mind when thinking of higher end kit.

Thinking about it, the £25 pre-amp I've just sold is probably the same or very similar level of components as the phono stage built in my integrated & network amp which cost £350 in total. Like I said, I was really surprised at just how good it was, I would recommend it to anyone starting out in the world of vinyl (Behringer PP400 for anyone interested)

What have you bought lately? Hope you get some vinyl spinning soon, it's good for the soul.

13 minutes ago, kernow said:

I bought that OMD record posted earlier in this thread, and uh the one before that was ABC's Lexicon of love II

I seem to buy a lot of 80s records. Yeah I think I'll spin some soon. 

Nothing wrong with 80s records, today's batch of 12"s that I played are mostly from the late 80s, and some of the ones I've just ordered are (Some early to mid 90s too).

The mention of of OMD just made me check discogs for a 12" extended version of Electricity. I love that song.

Unfortunately it came out in 1979 (my god, I'm so old!) before the golden age of the 12" remix.

https://www.discogs.com/Orchestral-Manoeuvres-In-The-Dark-Electricity/master/5887

I've got their singles collection but no albums - Any recommendations?

Back from a record fair and a shop or two today and picked up some nice stuff for a change (well I haven't played all of it yet!)

My best find was Pink Floyd, The Wall, first pressing for a tenner. Vinyl seemed in good condition but when I got it back there is some surface noise/pops on the quieter bits but for a tenner I'm not complaining I'll just give it a good clean!

But spinning right now is this beauty , again for a tenner and it sound perfect so far. I know that the gatefold double LP is more desirable but it was US only so trying to get it is a pain. And I also know about the reissue but given the variable reports on the Star Wars gatefold repress I'll stick with the originals.

IMG_1073.JPG

Two from me:

On the right is Humanoid X from Blixaboy http://shop.cpurecords.net/album/humanoid-x

On the left is slightly more obvious, 36 Chambers - 10 quid from HMV in store today.

It's worth pointing out that the HMV album sale actually has some great albums, they aren't just selling off dross.

http://store.hmv.com/music/sale

In Manchester today they had pretty much all of these on the shelves at the prices listed, didn't see Thriller though, I would have probably bought that.

Rage Against the Machine is worth £8 of anyone's money, likewise for £10ish Hatful of Hollow, Nation of Millions, Purple Rain, In Utero or The Stone Roses.

vinyl.jpg

16 hours ago, cubik said:

On the left is slightly more obvious, 36 Chambers - 10 quid from HMV in store today.

It's worth pointing out that the HMV album sale actually has some great albums, they aren't just selling off dross.

http://store.hmv.com/music/sale

Nice one, thanks. Although Richard Ashcroft's new album is on that list...:hat:

Seriously though, steer clear of the UK Sony Legacy editions, such as Stone Roses and RATM. They are fucking woeful.

Yello's new one. Terrible artwork if you ask me, given their iconic art from earlier times. Its like a lot of artists have just given up. Also no download card, which is bullshit for a £25 record (its on Universal/Polydor, so no excuse). It's nice vinyl though, sounds good and has been cut by someone who knows how to do it.

IMG_20161002_134454.jpg