2 Factor Authentication is now available for Playstation. SET IT UP.

11 minutes ago, Jbone said:

At least they've finally rolled this out. I may even feel safe enough to leave my credit card details with them once it's working

No chance, I'm always purchasing vouchers from cdkeys.

• Upvote 6

Oh, it may sound like a big stretch, but I'm optimistically looking on this as Sony turning over a new leaf, finally taking network security seriously.

On the other hand, that error is still occurring.

Never mind

I still won't be be adding PayPal or Credit Cards to my account and would advise others not to either. Two-step verification is an extra layer of security but it can be and will be by-passed using phishing and social engineering should an attacker want your account enough. Boogie had his YT account seized by a thief who convinced Boogie's phone company to transfer his phone number to a new handset and then the 'hacker' had access to all and any two-step verification codes that Boogie would have got for any accounts he had.

It's good but still not 100% safe! 

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Thank fuck for that.  All set up.

WHAT. It's still erroring out for me. Assumed it was a server overload issue. God damn it.

Edit: Yeah, for clarity I wasn't being 100% serious about putting my CC on there. I mean, I can't even get the 2FA to work!

10 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

What's this 'device setup password' for use on PS3/PSP/Vita? Do they not do proper two-step? I don't want to have to write down codes... :unsure:

It's the same with Google and Microsoft - some software currently don't have the capabilities to ask for codes, only passwords.  So seeing as you can't use the main password, you get to generate a random password that you can use on that device, which will log you in.

I presume in the case of Sony they haven't got round to updating the firmware of PS3, PSVita or PSP (they should do PS3 at the very least).

9 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

It's the same with Google and Microsoft - some software currently don't have the capabilities to ask for codes.  I presume in the case of Sony they haven't got round to updating the firmware of PS3, PSVita or PSP (they should do PS3 at the very least).

So, even if you set up 2-step, unless you set up 'device code' thing as well, anybody with your email/password could access your account on a PS3, PSP or Vita and buy loads of shit, even if you only have a PS4?

Just set it up from work but then remembered my lad is home today and is probably going to want to play FIFA later. 

Will be get a message asking for a code when he switches on the PlayStation later?

Only if you selected the option to log out of all your devices, or only if your PlayStation at home wasn't logged in when it was switched off.