Obduction - From the Creators of Myst and Riven

2ulEzyU.png

By Cyan Inc.

Official Site | Steam | GoG | Humble

Release Date: August 24, 2016

ABOUT

From Cyan, the indie studio that brought you Myst and Riven comes a whole new adventure that will become your world. 

As you walk beside the lake on a cloudy night, a distant thunderclap demands your attention. A curious, organic artifact falls from the starry sky and inexplicably, without asking permission, transports you across the universe. You’ve been abducted from your cozy existence and added into an alien landscape with a stereotypical Kansas farmhouse, a white picket fence, and a rather bizarre little ghost town - well… almost ghost town. Adding to the oddity, you discover a strangely kluged kiosk that reassuringly welcomes you to Hunrath.

The new worlds of Obduction reveal their secrets only as you explore, coax, and consider them. And as you bask in the otherworldly beauty and explore through the enigmatic landscapes, remember that the choices you make will have substantial consequences. This is your story now.

IMAGES

Spoiler

ss_9fce148c658dd4a7c1a95f611fae018f84499

House.jpg

ss_d11a40669e54cb745dc5826e2114d67489baa

ss_481865c10c622d502cd588b6da5552cd93199

Maray-Path.jpg

Entry.jpg

VIDEOS

Spoiler

SPOILER ALERT 

Two minutes of GB's quick look was enough for me to add it to my wish list. Looks really interesting!

I never managed to finish Riven myself as I was still young and dumb (much more so than I am now lolol) but have always been very much intrigued by its world and design. Riven is one of the very few games which actually made me feel like I was exploring an alien world and Obduction is looking to capture that same feeling as well. I mean there's FMV and you can even change your movement from 'free roam' to point and motherfuckin' click in the options menu! 

14 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Yours is better than mine, anyway. Unfortunately, few care about the game. Perhaps if Sony had paid for the marketing...

tumblr_inline_nltz3tCmfd1tr5v0b.gif

But yes I do hope this ends up selling well for them. I sure as hell am picking it up as soon as I have some moneys to spare! Might save it for when Fall finally arrives so I can fully immerse myself with cookies and tea without slowly choking to death while sitting in a puddle of sweat. 

I kickstarted this so I have it waiting, but I think I'll wait for the VR patch before making a start. :)

I loved the Myst series when I was younger, especially Riven. I'd spend ages just travelling around the islands, even though each one required a disc change. I loved the universe it created too, so I hope that Obduction has the same effect.

On 08/26/2016 at 07:02, Comrade said:

Is "From the makers of Myst" meant to be an advertisement? it's more like a warning.

Well, Riven was the best Myst game. If you didn't like Riven, then, yeah, you're not going to like this.

Because it's very much a new Riven. A mysterious, near-deserted world with hints of a weird, lost civilisation scattered everywhere. Lots of hand-scrawled notes and diaries, live action FMV acting, decipherable new languages and number systems. And all the interactive puzzles you'd expect incorporated into the architecture, technology and terrain.  Except this time round everything is fully explorable in 3D, obviously.

Despite not being a Myst game, they've come up with a scenario that means the structure is identical, with several 'ages' to warp between, and the three I've managed to explore are lovely.

The puzzles aren't as fiendish, I reckon, because I've made a good amount of progress and haven't had to resort to any guide, which I always had to in Cyan's previous games. Still hard enough to have me wandering about completely stuck for half an hour at a time, but until now, something has always clicked eventually. That feeling of accomplishment when you solve a puzzle that enables you to advance is here in abundance. And the puzzle solutions have been logically consistent so far.

It's extremely taxing on my poor PC though. Rough framerate, lots of hitching. Even with everything on the lowest possible setting and the resolution set to 480p (lol!) it runs like shit. And while my PC is far from high end (i5 750 overclocked, 6gb ram, AMD 7950 3gb vram, SSD) it's not like I'm running it on a Pentium 3 either. Looks like even people with high end PCs on Steam's forums are having issues - just something to be aware of.

1 hour ago, kitten said:

Yes, I'm running on medium settings and the PC is not at its happiest, but it'll have to deal with it because I'm having a lot of fun. Glorious puzzle-solving fun.

Yeah, I'm just putting up with the frame drops and forging on. The ages/worlds they've created for this are stunning. Way more impressive than I was expecting. The art design starts off fairly unremarkable but charming enough, then goes wonderfully creative and downright gorgeous. Seems to be getting a little lighter on puzzle solving the further I get, though - I've been tearing through this latest realm in no time, unlocking routes and shortcuts and paths between other realms, which has been loads of fun, almost Metroid-like :huh: except instead of acquiring abilities to access new areas, you use the solutions to puzzles to unlock and link areas you previously couldn't access. Wasn't expecting such intricate level design. But needs to ramp the puzzles back up.

8 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I don't really get the ages stuff. Does that mean you'll be locked out of certain areas eventually or does everything remain open for you to explore? I don't mind either way but am curious. 

Everything remains open for you to explore. Lots of the puzzles require you to do just that.

And ... finished. Truly fantastic, let down only by the last age (which gave the distinct impression they ran out of time/funds - that symptom typical of kickstarted games). Despite technical/framerate issues and one particular puzzle that you're encouraged to solve which ends up being solved itself without your input later on, it was a wonderful and rewarding experience. Got through the whole thing without needing to look up any guides, except the numerical system, which it turned out I'd already solved in-game (without using maths) anyway.

About that numerical system ... (no spoilers) it went way over my head, as per Riven, but mercifully they give an in-game means of conversion and some of the number based puzzles auto correct for maths noobs. I've looked up the actual solution/mathematics behind the numerical system and it still doesn't make any sense to me :lol: so good luck to anyone without a BA in Maths.

Hrm, the one-save-file system has got me. Basically got glitched as I transitioned, switched to point-and-click mode to move, not realising the world beyond my immediate environment was solid grey. Shut the game down, reloaded, and now it's all grey. Every time.

So, if you're still playing, be sure to back up your save files from time to time. Looks like I'm going to have to start again. Good thing I've been enjoying it.

• 3 months later...