Sonic

jet_set_radio

So. Sonic Advance. Any good?

The bonus stages are an absoloute abomination, but the rest of the game is a pretty good 2D outing for sonic and friends in my opinion. Lovely graphics, decent gameplay and shite music.

But would anyone choose this over any of our favourite blue hedgehogs Mega Drive outings, recreated perfectly on the GBA?

No.

I want Mega Drive Sonic 1 on my GBASP. :blink:

credit to sega for not being lazy rip- off merchants like nintendo,but the only reason neither nintendo nor sega will release Sonic and Mario games of new and old on the machine is that they know that they can't beat their decade-old classics.

clearly, Sonic Advance games are in fact butt-ugly compared to the MD ones. as well as fairly bereft of any content to speak of.

I have them both but they were hella cheap.

Sonic Advance 2 is hardly ugly. Graphically, it looks much nicer than the Mega Drive games.

sonicadvance2_090502_4.jpgsonicadvance2_090502_2.jpg

The sound/music is definately worse though.

clearly, Sonic Advance games are in fact butt-ugly compared to the MD ones. as well as fairly bereft of any content to speak of.

Sonic Advance 2 is hardly ugly. Graphically, it looks much nicer than the Mega Drive games.

I have to disagree there.

They're more colourful, but that's about as far as I'd go.

Looks like I'm gonna have to be content with Sonic Mega Collection for Gamecube :blink: Is the music exactly the same on it? (a VITAL part of the Sonic experience, afterall)

Also, which Sonic do you think looks best (the character)?

I think the original MD Sonic still looks best.

I think they paled purely because they didn't do anything new or better than the original games. Still a good way to waste time, but not worth the asking price of £30 each IMO.

I liked the style of animation and drawing... not better or worse, just different.

Advance 1 wasn't that good. Good but nothing special.

However Advance 2 I love so much, it should be re-named Sonic The Hedgehog 4.

I much prefered Sonic Advance 1

It has good special stages in my opinion (yes, hard but definitely rewarding once you have completed all seven) and it hasn't ruined the bosses like in sonic advance 2 (running bosses!) and even included some classic bosses and music

I think they are both ok, but nothing brilliant. The stages in Advance 1 are excellent for time trialling and it had much more of the natural Sonic look. In Advance 2 the colour pallette appears to be set to garish (techno zone is the worst.zone.ever) and the the jump strips where you have to press A at exactly the right moment have been carried over from the original game which I do not like.

not worth the asking price of £30 each IMO

Well, I paid £35 for the original from HMV (I was really desperate to play it) and around £27 for the second. I played the first one more as it had a lot more of the original Sonic games about it whereas Advance 2 is completely devoid of any character and Cream the Rabbit is a totally unecessary addition.

very colourful, but otherwise shite.

there's none of the 32-layers-of-parallax-ouch-my-jaw-just-hit-the-floor stuff like the MD games.

also, black outlines and flat shaded sonic = bad.

I freak out and get overly aware of th fact that I'm constantly holding my thumb over the right direction, have to pause and start using different fingers. Hmm perhaps this is an issue I should discuss with my therapist...I'd put it up there in the annoying stakes as when you become overly aware of the flesh between your tongue and jaw.

Does any1 else not find that the early levels of the Sonic advance games can be completed by taping down right on the d-pad?

No. You will die if you do this, and not progress.

I thought Sonic Advance 1 was a bit weak. It tried to be so much like the MD games but just wasn't. It was too short, the special stages were god-awful and it was generally a bit average all-round. Although I played it loads (it was my most played game for ages), simply because as platform games on the GBA went at the time, it was very decent!

Sonic Advance 2, on the other hand, I think is awesome! They've taken the logical step in the 2D Sonic games of making them stupidly fast! And making the loop-de-loops bigger and more frequent, and basically catapaulting you around the levels at high speed! Stylistically speaking, Sonic Advance 2 is the ultimate Sonic game, capturing the 'feel' of what Sonic should be all about perfectly... the trouble is, the gameplay is slightly off-balance; the levels are initially far too easy, and the bosses can be really hard!

But for time trials - brilliant!

http://www.gamestyle.net/gba.php?action=review&id=57

very colourful, but otherwise shite.

there's none of the 32-layers-of-parallax-ouch-my-jaw-just-hit-the-floor stuff like the MD games.

also, black outlines and flat shaded sonic = bad.

damned right.

and "Cream the Rabbit"? What an abomination.

what do you get for completing all of SA1's risible bonus stages?

On Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube, is the music exactly the same?

The MD sonics should definitly be released on GBA.

and "Cream the Rabbit"? What an abomination.

As far as pointless extra characters go, Cream was one of my favourites, for the single reason that when she jumps, her ears stay in the same place. And that just reminded me of the first time I saw Tails in Sonic 2. Nostalgia, possibly.

I have no idea as they're too bloody hard! (to find and to complete!)

On Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube, is the music exactly the same?

All the games are absolutely identical in every way possible.

The MD sonics should definitly be released on GBA.

Yes, I quite agree. Though they'd need a save function added to them all I think, as bus journeys generally aren't long enough for me to complete entire games!

As far as pointless extra characters go, Cream was one of my favourites, for the single reason that when she jumps, her ears stay in the same place. And that just reminded me of the first time I saw Tails in Sonic 2. Nostalgia, possibly.

It's quite funny when she waves at you as the flies down the rail not looking where she's going but that's about it. She is basically a botched clone of Tails.

They need to get the guy who created the original soundtracks for the Sonic games to come back and do them again - assuming the people behind the new games aren't those who did the originals, of course. They don't really compare in that 'classic' way that the original soundtracks do.

It's the same with most new Sega games - old titles like Outrun, Sonic, Streets of Rage, Sega Rally, etc. had brilliant soundtracks, but more recent efforts have been lacking.

Hmm... Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I just loved the Sonic Advance games. Not so much the sequel, to be honest, but I thought that the original Sonic Advance was truly wonderful: the only two games that I've played more on my GBA are Fire Emblem and Chu Chu Rocket! I can't say exactly why I liked it so much, to be honest, but I think it has a lot to do with the atmosphere, the graphics and music, and the slightly more economical architecture of the levels. For me, it's the pinnacle of the Sonic series. (And it certainly gets rid of the foul taste of the Sonic Adventure games.)

It's quite funny when she waves at you as the flies down the rail not looking where she's going but that's about it. She is basically a botched clone of Tails.

Watch her waiting animation. I think you can hold up to view it when you're just standing there. She takes out an ice cream, holds it aloft, then starts eating it, whilst her Chao flies about with a begging look on his face. Nice one.

You get an extra level, the super sonic one don't you?

It's set on mars i think you fly across the screen attacking a robotnik mech thing

The special stages were alright with a bit of practice, but SA2's special stages were too hard even to get to and then stupidly hard to play in my opinion (also badly designed)

I didn't like SA1 much. But thats probably because I expected it to be more like the MD Sonic games.

Also, I hate the new look Sonic. Wtf @ green eyes. The MD one looked so much better.. I hope the new Sonic games will live up to the older fan's expectations.

It's set on mars i think you fly across the screen attacking a robotnik mech thing

The special stages were alright with a bit of practice, but SA2's special stages were too hard even to get to and then stupidly hard to play in my opinion (also badly designed)

Oops, yeah in SA1 you do. I was thinking of SA2's bonus stages, which are stupidly hard to get to and a bit naff.

Also, the Supersonic ending to Sonic Advance 1 is a bit shit. Totally unlike the Supersonic ending to Sonic Adventure 1, which is teh best thing evar!!

Oops, yeah in SA1 you do. I was thinking of SA2's bonus stages, which are stupidly hard to get to and a bit naff.

Also, the Supersonic ending to Sonic Advance 1 is a bit shit. Totally unlike the Supersonic ending to Sonic Adventure 1, which is teh best thing evar!!

yes it is.

except for the moment when it cuts from the brilliant FMV Perfect Chaos to the real-time one... ;)

yes it is.

except for the moment when it cuts from the brilliant FMV Perfect Chaos to the real-time one... :(

;) Tsk!

But would you rather it looked like the realtime shitty version all the time or at least looked proper good for a while?

Actually, never mind! :(

*Puts can opener and tin of worms back in the cupboard*