Jump to content
IGNORED

ZX Spectrum Appreciation thread


Lorfarius
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 06/01/2022 at 23:52, MLH75 said:

Admirer from afar… 

 

Naturally, I haven't played every single ZX Spectrum game and these lists are always highly subjective, but I've at least tried to show much thought process and the difficulty involved with nailing a top ten. 

 


Nice video! Laser Squad but no Chaos?! Maybe I missed it…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/01/2022 at 23:24, Camel said:

I’ve been playing this today. It’s a really nice little platformer and proceeds go to charity.

 

8BC3DF8A-8351-46D1-90B8-0D93742FB17F.thumb.jpeg.2e7f7bd82b6a95d4838524c264860a67.jpeg
 

https://cronosoft.fwscart.com


The developer of this game is a really old friend of mine who moved to Kazakhstan many years ago. He has an excellent coding group on FB called Happy Coding ZX.

 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/happycodingzx/?ref=share

 

As well as the above game, he’s worked on some excellent projects via the group including a really close conversion of Asteroids and the brilliant Jetpac RX.

 

If anyone wants to support the development of these games he has a Patreon page and could do with the support at the moment. The country is in a state of unrest which means he can’t work currently. 
 

www.patreon.com/happycodingzx

 

Quote

hey guys

Another quick update from me. The internet shut down again not long after I posted. I have to assume the same will happen today.

 

The situation is still not very clear, but what I'm reading in the international press does seem to be a bit overblown.

 

I ran out of local money yesterday which was a bit of a concern so I went to a local hotel. I asked if they could change some dollars so I could buy some food but they said they couldn't. Someone else overheard the conversation and literally gave me a tenner to help me out. I took his number and told him I'd transfer it back when the internet came back.

 

So off I went to my local market to buy vegetables, where I was surprised to find everyone in good spirits. Most of the local vendors told me they would have been happy to give me food and I could have paid them later because they all know me. So sometimes these situations remind you of the best sides of people.

 

On the downside, I still can't work, and my wife is still stuck in Almaty and the airports are closed. So a bit of cabin fever is setting in, especially without the internet which helps me keep in touch with my family and friends. Hopefully it will be back more reliably soon!

 

I'm not altogether comfortable promoting my Patreon page in the circumstances, but if you have been thinking about signing up for a while, now would be a good time to take the plunge. Thanks!  www.patreon.com/happycodingzx

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Camel said:


The developer of this game is a really old friend of mine who moved to Kazakhstan many years ago. He has an excellent coding group on FB called Happy Coding ZX.

 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/happycodingzx/?ref=share

 

As well as the above game, he’s worked on some excellent projects via the group including a really close conversion of Asteroids and the brilliant Jetpac RX.

 

If anyone wants to support the development of these games he has a Patreon page and could do with the support at the moment. The country is in a state of unrest which means he can’t work currently. 
 

www.patreon.com/happycodingzx

 

 


Blimey. I didn’t expect there to be any crossover between Spectrum game development and the crisis is Kazakhstan. What was the reason he relocated there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

The Six Most Important Games - ZX Spectrum

 

Sinclair Research Ltd. released the ZX Spectrum, an 8-bit personal home computer, in the United Kingdom in 1982. The Spectrum was one of the first mainstream home computers in the United Kingdom, comparable to the Commodore 64 in the United States. The advent of the ZX Spectrum resulted in a surge in firms developing software and hardware for the system, and some credit it with launching the UK IT industry. Head Over Heels, Jet Set Willy, Skool Daze, Renegade, R-Type, Knight Lore, Dizzy, The Hobbit, Way of the Exploding Fist, and Match Day 2 were amongst the top 10 ZX Spectrum games.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/01/2022 at 01:14, ZOK said:


Nice video! Laser Squad but no Chaos?! Maybe I missed it…


I couldn’t get laser squad or chaos back in the day as they never came to our local store. However one day lords of chaos came and I remember taking it home not having high expectations and then spending a huge amount of time playing it in the following months. I assume it is similar to chaos or laser squad but to this day I have never played these games. I imagine they‘d still standup today as the gameplay was where it was at. I did hear recently that Julian Gollop created a 3DS game as part of the ghost recon series which is also meant to be worth checking out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, crocked said:


I couldn’t get laser squad or chaos back in the day as they never came to our local store. However one day lords of chaos came and I remember taking it home not having high expectations and then spending a huge amount of time playing it in the following months. I assume it is similar to chaos or laser squad but to this day I have never played these games. I imagine they‘d still standup today as the gameplay was where it was at. I did hear recently that Julian Gollop created a 3DS game as part of the ghost recon series which is also meant to be worth checking out.

Lords Of Chaos is an interesting blend of Laser Squad and Chaos and manages to take the best parts of both. The layouts added some extra variety to the battles too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.