rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
therearerules

Time Stories

pic2617634_md.png

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146508/time-stories

Anybody else play this? I remember scoffing at the idea of buying a game you could only play once back when I first heard of it, but repeated recommendations eventually turned my head, until it was top of my want list at the expo. Got a group together and we played the first case (with an audience), and I loved it. Truly unique adventuring, correcting your mistakes and solving puzzles. Essentially it's like playing a fantastic fighting fantasy book with friends.

It was so good I immediately bought the two expansions shops still have in stock, have managed to borrow the Marcy Case, downloaded and printed off a fan made expansion (Switching Gears, we had great fun (and another smaller audience) with that one too). I've even made my own expansion, which I'll post more about later, especially when I get more feedback on it.

It's on my wishlist. I'm currently playing through Pandemic Legacy, which is another game you can only play "once". I'm really keen to try more board games with strong narratives, and one of us has already ordered Seafall, so I think there's an appetite for this in our group. I hear Time Stories is excellent, especially the Egyptian-themed expansion.

We love it!

Played the case in the box and was completely sold. Now we have all three expansions and are currently in the middle of the second run at The Marcy Case.

We try to roleplay it some, which leads to us ending up in scrapes because we do things that seem likely traps. But it seems to us to be the right way to play. It is kind the point to not play optimally until you have milked the scenario for all its quirks, dead ends, traps and cul-de-sacs.

Anyone who plays it through uber-efficiently will have missed out on half the content And a lot of the fun.

Yep, we've just done our second Marcy Case run through, and it's going to take us at least one more to finish it. A lot of laughs and roleplaying, especially as my knife skills exceeded even the killing power of a grenade.

Expansions were £15 or so when they were released. Any more expensive is just someone milking the fact that they are out of print.

They will reprint them I am sure.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, scottcr said:

I'm really quite interested in this - although other than the main game, all the expansions are extortionate - to the point of being unaffordable.  

As soon as I played through Asylum I tried to buy The Marcy Case, and the prices were all extortionate, and so I immediately bought Under the Mask and a Prophecy of Dragons, even though I've yet to play them, and borrowed Marcy off a friend. Given what you're said about Mansions of Madness, I think you'd really like this- it will scratch the same social role playing story puzzle.

• Upvote 1

Just had some feedback from one of the playtesters of my fan made expansion-

Final thoughts
Everyone loved it and we wouldn't change a thing about the story. We rate it a 9/10
Great job and if you ever do another we would love to play test it.

As well as some more feedback on why they loved it. Pleased as punch.

• Upvote 6

Finished The Marcy Case this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it. No spoilers but really paying attention to everything is very important. We had to do another run through because we missed what, in hindsight, was an obvious clue and thus screwed the pooch at the last moment.

We have now done two runs at A Prophecy of Dragons, which is a totally different beast again. We have not progressed very far with it and it has clearly got some surprises to pull out yet. Mechanically it is a bit different and I suspect that may become even more so as we get further.

As a framework for simple co-operative role-playing/adventuring, this game is amazing. The flexibility of the core concept is really something. It is currently tracking as my game of 2016 by quite a margin.

• Upvote 1

Just to whet your appetite for my custom scenario...

'This is easily my favorite fan made scenario so far (Ive played five) and right up there with the official ones. The story captured us immediately and kept us immersed the whole time. Thanks for letting us play. Great work!'

'We played your scenario last week... I absolutely LOVED it!!!'

And more. I've sent it to Space Cowboys to get their feedback on it, but I'm definitely happy with it as it is right now.

• Upvote 2

How do we get to play it? 

(You don't have to answer the bit about how I get Time Stories from my parents' house, where Amazon sent it, to Japan, where I live - I will try to solve that bit on my own. Specifically asking about your scenario here.)

Marcy case showing as in stock at 365Games and Shop4 world but they've bumped the price up to £25. Unless you're desperate to play I'd hold off purchasing if you can, I reckon they'll be in stock everywhere soon.