rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
therearerules

Time Stories

I used to have access to an amazing printer- could print on 300gsm card super fast and didn't darken the colours. But now I don't :( Otherwise any regular printer that does colour should work. As for mine, I've actually sent it off to Space Cowboys to see what they think. I'm waiting for them to pass judgement before uploading the files for general consumption (and Zero Escape fans).

My copy of this has now been delivered along with The Marcy Case and Endurance. I'm keen to get started but wondered if anybody here has experience of playing this as a two-player experience?

I've read a few conflicting reports on the best way to approach this. Indeed the latest version of the official rules seems confused too, initially stating that each player should control two characters but later adding an 'author's preference' for each playing one character and then sharing decisions for a third character. 

Not really sure which way to go with it. 

On 2/7/2017 at 11:16, Billy Brown said:

My copy of this has now been delivered along with The Marcy Case and Endurance. I'm keen to get started but wondered if anybody here has experience of playing this as a two-player experience?

I've read a few conflicting reports on the best way to approach this. Indeed the latest version of the official rules seems confused too, initially stating that each player should control two characters but later adding an 'author's preference' for each playing one character and then sharing decisions for a third character. 

Not really sure which way to go with it. 

Sorry if this response is a little late..

We played with three and ran out of time on all three playthroughs of Asylum. Finished our final run on -3 TU.  In retrospect I would offer the following advice.

1. Definitely make sure you take notes on your playthroughs. They'll help immensely if like us you had a gap between games.

2. Play with all four receptacles rather than use the five extra time units offered for dropping a character.  Five is never enough to balance out the advantage of having that extra pair of eyes/fists. 

3. Stick with that final puzzle. It's a SOB but feels great when you finally get it.

We're due to start this on Wed night - have a group of 4 all ready to go - I just hope I've got enough of a grasp of the rules to explain them to the group and run the game without too many mistakes. 

Any top tips for a first run and teaching to a group?

Also just picked up Prophecy of Dragons on Amazon for £20 :)

Don't be scared of house ruling it a bit. Me, Steve and Jonny hated the dice rolling mechanic that dictated how many time units a change of location used, as it added an element of randomisation that just seemed to be needlessly punishing if it went against you. We just used 2 units per move, as it was statistically the most likely outcome.

Also, the rule book is a bit long winded. It's a lot simpler than it seems. Take it slowly for a couple of turns, figure out the encounter mechanics and then go from there. 

• Upvote 2

On 17 February 2017 at 10:36, Skeeez said:

Sorry if this response is a little late..

We played with three and ran out of time on all three playthroughs of Asylum. Finished our final run on -3 TU.  In retrospect I would offer the following advice.

1. Definitely make sure you take notes on your playthroughs. They'll help immensely if like us you had a gap between games.

2. Play with all four receptacles rather than use the five extra time units offered for dropping a character.  Five is never enough to balance out the advantage of having that extra pair of eyes/fists. 

3. Stick with that final puzzle. It's a SOB but feels great when you finally get it.

Thanks for this. We had our first attempt a couple of weeks ago and we went with using all four receptacles, so I'm glad that tallies with your experience. I've had to be away from home due to a family illness but now that I'm back I'm itching to try a second run. 

That's interesting about taking notes. We had that discussion when playing and I had leaned towards thinking that would be against the spirit of the game, especially as the game is very clear about certain key bits of information you are allowed to retain. I'd be keen to hear if others keep notes as it would undoubtedly make things easier!

20 hours ago, Mortis said:

We're due to start this on Wed night - have a group of 4 all ready to go - I just hope I've got enough of a grasp of the rules to explain them to the group and run the game without too many mistakes. 

Any top tips for a first run and teaching to a group?

Also just picked up Prophecy of Dragons on Amazon for £20 :)

From my point of view there were a couple of things that stumped us while playing that I've tried to clarify since. The main one concerned any 'tests' such as fights where more than one player is present. It wasn't clear to us if the players 'pooled' their dice rolls vs the enemy or if they simply took it in turns to battle. Having watched a couple of videos it seems it's the latter.

The other one we hadn't picked up on was removing certain cards from the deck after resolving them (just for that run, rather than permanently), which can help to ease confusion if returning to a room later. 

If you're unsure of whether you have all the rules /setup down properly, I found it really useful to watch the start of the first Miami Dice run through right up until the beginning of the first room. I agree that at first glance the written rules make it seem more complicated than it is. 

Thanks for for the heads up on the other expansions being back in stock!

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

From my point of view there were a couple of things that stumped us while playing that I've tried to clarify since. The main one concerned any 'tests' such as fights where more than one player is present. It wasn't clear to us if the players 'pooled' their dice rolls vs the enemy or if they simply took it in turns to battle. Having watched a couple of videos it seems it's the latter.

We rolled separately meaning in the event of a riposte it is only resolved against the receptacle who rolled.

OK so we played for the 1st TIME :) tonight - wow, blown away. We discussed taking notes and decided only at the end of a run not during the game, 3 runs down so far in Asylum and it feels like we're close but still missing something. Can't wait to play again and finish it then move swiftly onto The Marcy Case.

2 hours ago, Mortis said:

OK so we played for the 1st TIME :) tonight - wow, blown away. We discussed taking notes and decided only at the end of a run not during the game, 3 runs down so far in Asylum and it feels like we're close but still missing something. Can't wait to play again and finish it then move swiftly onto The Marcy Case.

isn't three the max amount of playthroughs you should take? If you don't finish on the third run you carry on but play in to negative TU's.

Edit; That said, if you are all still enjoying it, keep going. I think the rule is probably there to stop it getting tedious. Personally three felt right for our group, we'd seem pretty much everything by that point.

Yeah we all died as a group so it's game over again :( we should clear it next run and mostly know where to go but we ran out of time for our group as well (in the real world) so it's packed away.

On 17 February 2017 at 10:36, Skeeez said:

You're not wrong! We'd picked up on the correct clues but it still took a good while to apply them properly. Great feeling when we cracked it, as you mention.

Absolutely loved it. We took the full three runs and finished on exactly 0 TU. I felt the mixture of puzzles, battling, red herrings and dead ends was spot on. Can't wait to give The Marcy Case a go at the weekend.

Finally got the gang together for Expedition Endurance. I loved it, although for reasons I could see other people hating it (more an adventure than anything else, short). That and we didn't die (we used a beacon, we had enough of them), meaning the pace never dropped.

I intend to smuggle another expansion into my suitcase home from momocon to add to my pile of unplayed games. What's the consensus on the best one to get?

On 04/02/2017 at 15:25, Mortis said:

So @therearerules how's the scenario you developed coming along? What's the best way to print out the fan made scenarios? 

Update: they (Space Cowboys) still haven't played it, although at least they acknowledge this and will play it soon, also Tom Vasel is going to play it (given a recent podcast I think it will be totally up his street).

• Upvote 1

On 26/05/2017 at 22:06, Tourist said:

I intend to smuggle another expansion into my suitcase home from momocon to add to my pile of unplayed games. What's the consensus on the best one to get?

The one I enjoyed the most was the most recent one- Expedition Endurance.

On 2017/7/13 at 10:43, Tourist said:

Finally picked up my copy of time stories so might actually get to play it soon. Is there any consensus as to whether it is worth playing solo?

Guys, this is really important! Help!

Still no word from Space Cowboys, so I've uploaded my expansion to BGG for people to play. Here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nSESIZXEzLge2yvuQe5IC_2lRsQXv_rT

Note, I've said this before, but be prepared, I have completely ripped everything but the puzzles from the Zero Escape series of games, as it is really a love letter to that series.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Still no word from Space Cowboys, so I've uploaded my expansion to BGG for people to play. Here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nSESIZXEzLge2yvuQe5IC_2lRsQXv_rT

Note, I've said this before, but be prepared, I have completely ripped everything but the puzzles from the Zero Escape series of games, as it is really a love letter to that series.

do you know anyone who will print this out in nice quality?  I'd be happy to pay the costs and delivery for it and a bit more...

On 20/07/2018 at 21:15, scottcr said:

do you know anyone who will print this out in nice quality?  I'd be happy to pay the costs and delivery for it and a bit more...

I could print this for you (not professional quality, but 200gsm card), but it'd have to wait for me to return from cornwall. As for costs, it'd probably be about £6 (+ p&p).

• Upvote 1