Guardian Heroes

DJ Sack

gh-01.jpggh-02.jpg

From the makers of gunstar Heroes, comes a saturn game to blow all other scrolling beatem ups away. That is Guardian Heroes, Released on the Sega Saturn.

Before you read this, do one thing, if you havent played it...PLAY IT!

An Enchanted Sword falls into the hands of a band of young heroes. Assisted by a Knight and a Golden Undead Warrior, they begin their quest to change the fate of the entire kingdom. Use martial arts, swords, magic, and muscle to battle the forces of darkness

There is a sort of story to the game but thats not what your playing the game for. Featuring animated anime fmv with some wonderful graphics and characters it just draws you in. The characters are extreamly detailed and big, the scenery is nicely detailed, and the animation is silky smooth. The game has you controlling one character but picking up computer controlled characters along the way to help you.

Fairly early on you meet one of the main characters of the game, an undead warrior who is ultra powerful and who you can control through thought. Your character is able to control his actions with the use of thought bubbles, which you can scroll through to pick the right action, such as attack, defend etc.

What makes this game different is that during gameplay there is 3 planes to fight on, front, middle and back, and you can jump between them to escape attacks or surprise them. At the end of each stage you have choices to make which will end up giving you different endings. Attacks are plentiful and with 4 different characters to chose from at the start you'll have your favs.

Theres also a multiplayer mode for up to 6 people, and the little rabbit thing is a bitch in these types of battles. And with 45 characters to chose from, again you'll have your favs, if you thought Streets of rage was the end of side scrolling, you havent experienced this wonderful game!

This is game is brill.

I liked the choice of paths given to you at the end of each stage and depending on which you picked, you eneded up in Heaven or Hell. That Heaven boss was a fuck.

And the particular path that gave you, (is it Han? muscle bloke with sword) another undead warrior to fight and gain his sword. Stat being sickenly ramped up! Only problem was everytime you performed that flying condor dive sword move, or you were to close to the enemies when swinging the brute, you'd go up in flames like the baddies >_<

Coloseum Arena is mental with all 6 angel bosses on at once.

There's the gotta catch'em all hook as well, considering every enemy you beat was selectable in the above mode. All those boxes to fill in.

On a side note, is it worth picking up the jap version over Pal one? Radiant Silvergun running on Pal system was chronic next to the Jap system.

Great game. I remember (saying that, makes me think this should be in retro actually) playing this to death on my Saturn, plotting all the different routes and unlocking all the extra characters, then battering and getting battered by my mates in the arena multiplayer mode thingy. Bloody great fun :blink:

Was surprisingly hard on hard though (I know that sounds stupid... but, you know what I mean). I could never get any appreicable distance in to the game (single player that is, it was piss easy all the time multiplayer).

Yeah it was a cool game... you could butten bash but if you palyed it properly you could come up with some cool combo and do levels without getting hit e.t.c the many maultiple endings and extra roughts (jans mega sward, the areana bits) where cool and fun to find out... still play it 2 player every now and again normally play a serena or randy...

Ah my fave game of all time, I just love the whole look and feel of this game, the multiple routes and cool selection of characters and the way you can side with the different sets of bad guys. It's just fucking brilliant, I still crack it open for a go a few times a year and have done ever since I bought it, it just hasnt aged a bit.

There was talk of a sequel last year, but no more news since.

On another note I took delivery of Panzer Bandit this morning which is a playstation rip-off of Guardian Heroes, it's pretty cool but not as good as the god like Guardian Heroes.

There seems to be very litte info on GH's on the web, there are hardly any screen shots or sprite rips and very little artwork, I really love the art guy Han's style, I found his website once but theres not much on there, he seems to have spent his time since GH's drawing his Phantasy Star Online characters. Plus I always wanted a Ginjiro Ibushi tattoo!

I did do this once tho...

ginjiro_ibushi.gif

I loved this game, too. The branching structure, the chunky-feel, the cool magic and the character design were all little things that added up into a great overall package. It had a really nice atmosphere, too. Or something. It felt kinda epic. Which is strange, since it's basically a bunch of wierdos beating eachother up. Very cool though. Other than the Capcom beat em ups this is the best thing on Saturn. Makes me wish I had a Saturn, infact. I just played my cousin's lots, you see.

it does get rather long in the tooth after a while. i honestly think people see the platform that its on then the treasure logo @ start up and go all gooey eyed.

the music, presentation & graphics can't be faulted thou.

Jesus no, I've played this game over and over, I love the feeling of going on and epic journey and beating stuff up.

I dont think you should dicount a game just because of Treasures reputation, because more than most software houses out there it's well deserved.

Great game. I remember (saying that, makes me think this should be in retro actually) playing this to death on my Saturn, plotting all the different routes and unlocking all the extra characters, then battering and getting battered by my mates in the arena multiplayer mode thingy. Bloody great fun :)

I played the Japanese version to death and plotted out every single route, drawing a map that showed exactly how to make your way through every part of the game. And I worked out where you could find every single multiplayer character. Took me ages to do the whole guide. It was printed in a certain video game magazine sometime around the UK release, too...

And Rocko: you're a lucky man to be sitting so close to such a great game. If I was you, I'd be playing it right now :o

:blink: alas, I lent my saturn to my sister, and she lost the bloody video cable for it! I need a replacement, but I'm too poor at the moment :(