uuni ooni ommi or other pizza ovens

Should I sell my Xbox series X and get a Koda 16 instead?

I like pizza, my kids like decorating their own pizza and my wife is so so on pizza. We usually cook/eat frozen unless the kids are making their own. 

On 23/04/2021 at 23:32, Jonny5 said:

Should I sell my Xbox series X and get a Koda 16 instead?

I like pizza, my kids like decorating their own pizza and my wife is so so on pizza. We usually cook/eat frozen unless the kids are making their own. 

Ooni ordered & Xbox up for sale. 

Im now stressing about a peel as the ooni doesn’t include one.  

Apparently wood is better for launching, and they’re cheap so fine. But then do I get a turning peel? The ooni one is 7” and apparently that’s a bit small for the Koda 16 sized pizzas. Then there’s the fact I’m a noob so do I actually want a bigger peel and just pull the pizza out to turn it? The 14” Ooni peel is £65! Although it would also serve as a launching peel to start with. 

I’m over thinking this right?

19 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

I’m over thinking this right?

no, not at all

Pizza is all about obsessing over every tiny detail, you need to spend hours watching videos about dough hydration & fridge proofing, research extensively types of italian flour, equal time spent looking into tinned tomatoes and mozzarella types and all this is before you think about how to stretch your dough.

After all this can you worry about it sticking to a peel as you lob a layer of cheese and pepperoni off the glued on base onto a 400c stone, where it will spot weld itself on in a nanosecond.

I think I'm going to get some ready made supermarket pizzas to chuck in there and get a handle on turning/extracting to start with.  I'm dreading trashing the pristine stone with the inevitable failure to launch a real pizza though. :(

Honestly, don’t worry about it. Even if you ‘ruin’ it, next time you come to use the oven you’ll want to be flipping the stone over anyway - the heat will clean it. 

And I wouldn’t say to use supermarket pizzas. A good one to start with and practice on is just a garlic bread pizza (so you don’t have to worry about launching the ingredients off as you get the pizza onto the stone). 

Make some dough, add crushed garlic that’s been mixed in with butter. 

20 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

I got a text saying its being delivered tomorrow so panic bought the best looking peel I could find which would get delivered tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08YF7CW1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DHL fucked it right up and actually delivered my ooni to the John Lewis returns depot instead of me.  They're now out of stock and so JL are trying to see if they can get DHL to get my one back and deliver it to me instead.  I don't hold out much hope of this happening so looks like I'm not cooking any pizza this week. :(

Garlic breads a good shout. For anyone getting started I’d also recommend doing homemade “naan breads” with your dough instead of pizza. Basically just make a pizza base and don’t put anything on it. 

I made tandoori chicken in my Ooni the other night and had it as kebabs in homemade naan. Amazing.

My Koda 12 still hasn't arrived. I only ordered direct from Ooni as I had a discount code but they're taking their time.

They don't even give you a decent update on delivery date, just a website that gives a rough estimate based on roughly when you ordered. Hopefully it'll be here by the end of April like they estimated.

Any recommendations on wooden/bamboo and metal peels that don't cost the earth? I definitely can't justify £85 total for the official ones.

1 hour ago, cubik said:

My Koda 12 still hasn't arrived. I only ordered direct from Ooni as I had a discount code but they're taking their time.

They don't even give you a decent update on delivery date, just a website that gives a rough estimate based on roughly when you ordered. Hopefully it'll be here by the end of April like they estimated.

Any recommendations on wooden/bamboo and metal peels that don't cost the earth? I definitely can't justify £85 total for the official ones.

This is why I ordered from John Lewis as the Ooni site said like 12 weeks for a Koda 16. 

My Amazon special aluminium peel arrived and seems ok. The handle is screwed on rather than riveted so not sure if that’ll make any difference. I also got a thermometer for measuring the stone temp. 

ED0AAC1A-6DB1-4539-8B9E-16E01FE8F04E.thumb.jpeg.5bab623c2b94b003fa5735efa5533516.jpeg

Sorry for the post spam of delivery failures but I'm getting zero sympathy and a lot of eye rolling from my wife :lol:

Woke this morning to a "We're processing your return" email from John Lewis, spoke to them on the phone and its the classic "There's nothing we can do sorry, we should have more stock at the end of May".

Some more googling showed a few stores selling it for over RRP with stock due in June and then I found it in stock at Selfridges of all places.  They've rounded the price up to £500, and it's £10 for shipping but that will get it to me tomorrow before 12.  Hopefully they don't ship with DHL and I'll be in possession of one tomorrow.

When I ordered mine a month ago I couldn’t find anywhere with it in stock, and Ooni had the 10% off so that helped. 

Hopefully it’ll be very soon, can’t wait to badly launch & accidentally bunch up and burn some dough

On 28/04/2021 at 17:59, cubik said:

When I ordered mine a month ago I couldn’t find anywhere with it in stock, and Ooni had the 10% off so that helped. 

Hopefully it’ll be very soon, can’t wait to badly launch & accidentally bunch up and burn some dough

Pro tip, if you haven't already got a gas cylinder then start trying to find one now.

The Ooni came with a camping gas regulator, and anywhere near me that stocks it was either out of stock or only doing exchanges rather than signing up new customers.  I had a propane bottle and managed to find an appropriate regulator yesterday locally.

Last night I went to fire it up only to find my bottle totally empty.  Its taken me an hour this morning calling/visiting all the local stockists to try and find a 6Kg propane bottle in stock.  I've just got back with the full bottle now, but its a total nightmare.

Thanks for the tip, I’ve just had an update from Ooni. It’s coming on Tuesday! :omg:

I’m off today so I’ll try and sort the bottle this afternoon. 

First proper cook is all set for this evening but I couldn’t help having a play with a shop bought pizza. 

F79BF783-38E0-4BD9-9B78-A38C9A00AA70.thumb.jpeg.bb929271f614680779330323d22f13c1.jpeg

55E8E574-CEC5-4907-BBAD-71EC3C551A99.thumb.jpeg.30aad76edc230a138257f2bd9bbf2122.jpeg

F478D64F-EBDE-4736-8118-F1B04B07BD2E.thumb.jpeg.0450fcafc408a0c8ac23ecbfbc05cc75.jpeg

I tried to keep the temp down low but it still cooked a bit too quickly. Tasted great though. 

That’s gas sorted, it was easy peasy at the local independent hire shop. I got one of these monsters as they could only supply the smaller ones to people who already had a bottle to refill.

spacer.png

Also got a big pack of mozzarella and a couple of jars of nduja from Lidl as they’ve got Italian stuff in the specials this week. The Ooni UK Facebook group is going mad buying it!

Peels are my next purchase , I think I’ll get one of those that @Jonny5 mentions from Amazon and try to find a wooden one to go with it. 

All I then need once it arrives is decent flour and some sunshine!

Had a bit of a mixed bag first time out, not helped by everyone being tired and fed up before we even started. 

Anyway, biggest issue was soggy middles with overdone edges. And given all the grumbling from the sidelines I didn’t check the temps before cooking.  I suspect I needed a hotter stone and then to turn the flame right down when I chuckled the pizza in. 

Teaching my family not to drown the pizza in toppings would also help. 

This one looks the best but the base was still super wet. 

C3AF8802-E465-4EA9-97AE-52F6AA4AC239.thumb.jpeg.39af3d25142346e59983d8b5c181db6a.jpeg

I might try New York style pizza next time to try and get thicker sturdier bases. 

I try to not over top pizzas and especially don't put a lot right in the middle - I think the dough cooks from the outside in and as such its like a mini tidal wave of dough that picks up sauce and moisture along the way, depositing it right in the centre

16 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Had a bit of a mixed bag first time out, not helped by everyone being tired and fed up before we even started. 

Anyway, biggest issue was soggy middles with overdone edges. And given all the grumbling from the sidelines I didn’t check the temps before cooking.  I suspect I needed a hotter stone and then to turn the flame right down when I chuckled the pizza in. 

C3AF8802-E465-4EA9-97AE-52F6AA4AC239.thumb.jpeg.39af3d25142346e59983d8b5c181db6a.jpeg

I might try New York style pizza next time to try and get thicker sturdier bases. 

Are you doming the pizza (holding it up to the top) at any point?

11 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Are you doming the pizza (holding it up to the top) at any point?

I tried this a bit but obviously the crust also gets into the hotness too.  

Ive since heard a couple of other tips, the first is using the peel to shield the pizza from the flames while the base cooks some more, the other is to just turn off the flame when it’s done on top and leave it to sit on the stone for a minute or two to continue cooking the base. 

I just want to cook loads of pizzas until I get the knack right. :lol:

With my Uuni 3, what works for me is having the base thin and remembering that less is more for the topping, including the sauce. Then I want the stone as hot as possible before the pizza goes on, then it barely takes any time to cook and just needs rotating 180 degrees half way through the cook.

On 30/04/2021 at 19:24, Jonny5 said:

We have all been there, your pic is almost the same as our early efforts - less sauce, dry out your mozzarella and higher heat will have you sorted. It looks more baked so I suspect lower temp and longer cook time plus lots of wet ingredients!

I don’t turn the gas down, get it as hot as I can and then turn often and get good results now - it’s a learning process and we still make mistakes but it’s good fun and the ingredients are cheap enough to still be experimenting.

• Shimmyhill changed the title to uuni ooni ommi or other pizza ovens