IGNORED

uuni ooni ommi or other pizza ovens

Shimmyhill

We did our first non-family pizza night last night, with COVID restrictions lifting a little in the past few weeks, and having not seen my team from work in over a year...

Stupidly didn't take any photos, but having read the past few pages, I thought I'd post some of my experiences...

I cheaped out on an infrared thermometer as I bought the Ooni (Koda 12) for my wife's Xmas, and was already well over budget, but actually, I'm really happy with my choice.  I bought one of these:

image.thumb.png.195c6bb32e6d9e53a8583a04737ee2c4.png

for about 4 quid from China prior to Brexit, but still available for 7 quid or so (plus a square battery).

Stick the probe through the hole in the bottom of the Ooni so it's sitting around the middle of the stone, and then use a mobile phone holder to hold it up, then you can see the temperature all of the time, hands free, and from across the garden.

As per this thread, we've been using corn meal (Tesco) to stop the base sticking to worktop and peels, wooden peels to launch, and in fact to prep too. I bought a triple pack of plywood ones on Amazon for about 20 quid.

Pizza sauce... Someone mentioned forgetting to make sauce.  We managed this too somehow, so simply used some passata with some added garlic paste, salt, pepper, herbs, no cooking, just stuck it on the pizza after mixing it up. I'm not saying it was proper amazing, but for the time required and simplicity, and for a pizza emergency, it was ideal, and not too watery.

• 3 weeks later...

What are everyones recommendations on pizza sauce? I have tried a tin of pizza express sauce and made my own with tinned tomatoes, both ok but looking for something which will that really pop with fresh tomato taste

15 minutes ago, tobert said:

What are everyones recommendations on pizza sauce? I have tried a tin of pizza express sauce and made my own with tinned tomatoes, both ok but looking for something which will that really pop with fresh tomato taste

This tends to get decent comments in the Ooni UK facebook group:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/283713806

I've never tried it, we make our own using the Ooni recipe.

https://uk.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/classic-pizza-sauce

Next time you're making your own, try and use tinned Pomodoro tomatoes. They work well in pizza sauces.

1 hour ago, cubik said:

This tends to get decent comments in the Ooni UK facebook group:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/283713806

Yes, it's a bit salty, but I like this stuff. Also available in 12 cans bulk buy from Amazon for a bit cheaper if you're feeling brave - they've got a decent expiry date (probably 2024), and a can makes two decent-sized pizzas.

They do Classic and Aromatic versions - the latter with basil and herbs.

• 2 months later...

Sunday tends to be pizza day for us. Really found my fave toppings now, thinly sliced chorizo (thin like pepperoni), pancetta for salty pops of flavour, the block of mozz from Galbani and some grated parm.

Good prep station is very pleasing and helps get thru the loading up stage quickly before it all sticks to the peel

F92FCD29-B996-4CBA-B80B-2E00AC2EA391.thumb.jpeg.c93f4b1fdaa736f47fa9b45424532a9d.jpeg

AAF72CB3-D155-4324-B8EA-7FE4C6C7A4A3.thumb.jpeg.b36c0d8c8c33b4ac97e54c431df60204.jpeg

Lost a bit of cheese coverage as it all slides forward when you flick off the peel.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/05/2021 at 07:09, Gotters said:

Time to ramp up the obsession people - who is in for a copy of Modernist Pizza

I have Modernist Cuisine sat in my kitchen and its more a thing of beauty than a cookbook I've used anything from

https://modernistcuisineshop.com/products/modernist-pizza?mc_cid=6f17d24685&mc_eid=0afeaa6081

only £325 on amazon !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modernist-Pizza-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/1734386126/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=modernist+pizza&qid=1621490963&sr=8-1

Down to £268 for launch - bargain !

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, schmojo said:

I notice that your station has no juicy chunks of fennel sausage. There's no going back.

it fails the aniseedy test for me which is one of my non negotiable inedibles.

agree though that a small amount of quality punchy sausage rather than just generic supermarket pepperoni really seals the deal on a good pizza.

• 2 weeks later...

Always wanted to try a dough with a poolish so will give this a shot next week.

I’ve been really happy with this (very low effort) recipe in my pizzaiolo:

523g flour

324g water

13g salt

.86g yeast

- Add yeast to flour, mix.

- Make a well, pour water to a custard consistency then add all salt.
- Add remaining water and mix until it’s come together. 

- Put whole batch in a large tub in the fridge for 48/72 hours.

- Ball then cover on counter 4/6 hours before cooking

Interested to see what a poolish can do!

• 1 month later...

Ooni Fyra 12 purchased during Black Friday. Peel, pellets, thermometer gun, firelighters etc.

I already knew how to make dough and launch a pizza so didn’t have to stumble through that part too much. Made several lots of pizza in the last week. Woodsmoke is intoxicating. 

Pictured is last nights ventricina salami and buffalo mozz from the nearby Italian deli, with drizzled evoo and chilli infused honey, sublime. 

Some top tips from a man who married an Italian and is therefore somehow an expert but likes to cut corners from time to time:

Making your own dough is great but there are good shop-bought doughs out there. E.g. Northern dough company pizza dough is very good and cheap at about £2.50 for two 12” balls. 

Making your own sauce is great but there are good shop-bought sauces out there. E.g. mutti pizza sauce (normal and aromatic) are both good and extremely convenient. 

Don’t overload your pizza. Even the tomato sauce can be inconsistently spread. Don't overthink it either. A few blobs of what you fancy. 

Parmigiano before and after it goes in adds a nice salty punch. Not the weird pre-grated sawdust stuff. Doesn’t need to be expensive though.

Fresh basil good, dried bad. Pre-grated  mozzarella is bad too (full of starch and doesn’t melt that well).

Lots of EVOO. It’s like Italian ketchup. 

If you want to encourage those puffy edges you can kind of crimp a border around the outside of the pizza with your fingerprints and trap some air in. As seen here:

All of the pizza vids on that channel are good.

What’s surprised me about the Ooni is that every pizza so far has come out great, haven’t had any issues at all. I expected a slow incline towards acceptable pizza but I seem to have hit the ground running. Definitely gonna get one of the 16” bad boys in the future. 

9FD34908-49F7-4F45-AF37-51712149093E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve ordered the Koda 16 just now. £399 which, while expensive generally, seems a decent deal for one of these. Moving house next month so it’ll be a nice little treat for when we’re settling in. 

I'm thinking of buying one of these now, rather than wait until the spring/summer months like I did last year only to find they'd sold out.

I'm looking at the Ooni Koda 12 gas powered jobby. Before I drop the quite frankly alarming amount of cash on it, are there any new kids on the block that we're all buying instead of this one? 

Also, can anyone recomend a decent peel. I was just going to grab the Ooni one, but I'd rather not drop 40 quid on that if there's a better alternative.

think I mentioned it before in here but the cleverest and easiest pizza peel is the Super Peel, its like a cloth conveyor for gently sliding off the soggiest of pizzas perfectly.

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/the-super-peel

I used it quite a few times putting pizzas onto a stone over my BBQ, was a sad day when my indoor Pizzaiolo oven arrived and I realised the super peel was too wide to fit in, so I had to get better at flinging soggy dough and cheese into a 400c scorching oven.

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

I got this peel and haven’t had any issues getting pizzas into it from a board or into the oven. 

Perforated Pizza Peel,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08YF7CW1C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I've got this one too, can recommend it.

The super peel looks like a super convenient way to take all the hairs off the back of your hand. I wouldn't want to be getting my hand that close to the mouth of my Koda 12.

Even with a decent peel, pizzas can still stick, especially if you've put the dough on the peel and let it sit for a minute or two.

What I do now is use the two peel method. I have the dough on a wooden peel while building the pizza.

Then put the wooden peel into the Koda and use the perforated one to slide the pizza off it and onto the stone.

I use a pro cook bamboo peel to launch and the cheap ooni no handle one to turn the pizza - I’m all about spending money on shiny things but can’t see id get anything more out of a fancy peel, id rather have a few bamboo ones to make and launch on than spend loads on a fancy one on its own!

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't want the pizza to stick to the peel then build the pizza on your worktop and drag it onto your floured peel from there. It's not on the peel long enough to stick and will go into the oven much more easily.

Random Ramble on Onni Ovens: I had a ooni Frya which was great but maintaining the fire was a pain (it would often go out after while as the pellets didn't see to burn fully at the bottom so would build up to the point of stopping air flow). I have swapped to a Karu 12 which allows for wood and gas.   I tried it with gas on the weekend and its sooo much easier.  Very quick to heat up, consistence temperature, no fire maintenance and I didn't stink of smoke at the end.

I can still see me using Charcoal/wood for a weekend cook over the summer for that wood fired taste. But, so far, really impressed with the results using gas.

We use wooden peels like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-HOMEFAVOR-Chopping-Homemade-Vegetable/dp/B08C4MHG3B/

for building the pizza and launching.

We simply put some cornmeal on the peel to stop the dough sticking, and all works out nicely.  Only had a issue once when the cornmeal wasn't rubbed over the peel, and an over zealous wife launched tomatoes and mozzarella onto the pizza stone while the pizza itself stayed on the peel :facepalm:

We then use the large Ooni peel for turning and retrieving, I got it discounted back on black Friday 2020, though expect a round one would make turning easier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Would never call this a bargain but the excellent Sage indoor Pizzaiolo oven is a whopping £200 off direct from Sage. it's still £530 though.

It's an obsessively made bit of kit which provides brilliant indoor results with a minimum of faff, maybe not as much fun as cooking up a few outside in the nice weather but a lot more usable all year round and getting closer in price to some of those outdoor ones with this discount. 

• 1 month later...
On 15/05/2021 at 14:33, Jacopo said:

Right guys, complete pizza noob time once again. Sorry!!

Last year my wife bought me one of these KCT pizza ovens which I've finally got around to building (our house move stopped me building it any earlier!) I'm hoping for some decent weather next weekend to get a few friends around and finally get some use out of this thing.

Having read this thread, I've gone on Amazon and bought a turning peel, a prooving box and an infrared thermometer (my wife bought a big peel with the oven so got that covered.) I also have some Caputo flour and I'm going to go to Waitrose to get some Mutti sauce.

I do however have a few of questions.

• In terms of the temperature for the pizza stone, what do I want that to be for when I start cooking? Also, what temperature does the oven ideally need to be at as I'm using wood, not gas.
  • Garlic bread - can anyone recommend any simple recipes for the topping on this?
  • Dough - do I need to leave the dough in the fridge once I've made it in the prooving box? Also, when do I want to be making my dough for best results if I have people around next Saturday?

Apologies if this has already been covered. I'm really looking forward to finally using this thing (if the bloody rain holds off!) and I want my pizzas to be perfect :)

Thanks in advance.

On 21/05/2021 at 09:38, Jacopo said:

I know I'm insane for making pizzas with company this weekend, but I am pressing ahead with it 🙈  Lukcily my guests have said they are not expecting much and no pressure. So that's something! 🤭

I used the dough recipe which was linked on this thread around page 4 (Adam Atkins Gozney video) and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. My dough has been in the fridge cold proving since Tuesday evening so gave the oven a go last night to get some practise in.

I really struggled to regulate the temperature on the oven. I either had the thing looking like it was about to set ablaze at any moment or just a low flame with the temperature around 200C. What didn't help was that my infrared thermometer only goes to 350C (massive facepalm) so couldn't confirm I had the oven/stone to the hallowed 400C. Equally the the temperature gauge which is fitted to the oven only displays up to 300C too. I have a new thermometer with a higher reading threshold coming today so hopefully I will get the hang of that more.

Anyways, onto the pizzas! I had only used cheap tinned tomatoes and cheap mozzarella balls which I'd left to dry out for aprox3-4 hours to practise (also didn't use any olive oil, parmesan or fresh basil given these were pratcise ones so don't be too judgemental!) 

Pizza 1 - The base was lovely to me, however some people would call it burnt. I personally enjoyed the taste but I know it's not for everyone the base being that well done/burned. The top of the pizza however was only just cooked so clearly the stone was too hot. The way the pizza looked too didn't look great. Looks like it was just cooked in a regular oven. Clearly more time for the top to cook and less heat on the stone.

pizza1top.thumb.jpg.626ac2f59f55f22ed08a93e28e56d946.jpg

pizza1bottom.thumb.jpg.343bb017ea082b5739c9ae0f68f1ac5f.jpg

Pizza 2 - I didn't stretch out this dough ball as much as the first and I'd let the oven cool a bit. The base was cooked better but still potentially still a bit too well done. However, as the stone had cooled along with the oven this meant the toppings and the crust were barely just cooked with the thicker end of the crust being still a bit raw :( I'd also put slightly more cheese on this one as I didn't feel pizza 1 had enough so that made the top a bit sloppy too.

pizza2top.thumb.jpg.ce5e17b2e96d09e1435d5513094d7891.jpg

pizza2bottom.thumb.jpg.2b9845142906f67af9135b2527551163.jpg

What do you guys suggest to try get these cooked a bit better? I'm thinking to combat this maybe I should heat the oven first, then add the stone to heat afterwards? That way the stone shouldn't get too hot? (For reference, this is my pizza oven and it has a removable stone in the top oven section.) But then I'm cooking more than one pizza so this is not practical. I think better temperature control will help overall. Apologies, I'm ranting. Any help/tips would be much appreciated :)

On 21/05/2021 at 12:20, Jacopo said:

That was really helpful. Thanks @Jonny5 Clearly I had the oven far too hot yesterday. 

I have kiln dried logs as my fuel but I’ve also got some charcoal. I’ll try your method of placing the stone and fire on opposite sides to get the flames up into the oven. 

I’m feeling a lot more confident about them now having watched that video :)

On 23/05/2021 at 20:32, Jacopo said:

Thanks for all your assistance guys. The party was a great success! :)

The video that @Jonny5 linked to was a huge help. I had my brother help with maintaining the fire and found that 375C was the sweet spot for my oven. 

I ended up using all 24 dough balls with only one failure as the thing stuck to the peel then ended up like a mangled calzone. Everyone loved them so thanks for all your help guys :)

Below is a photo of  my pizza. It was well deserved by the time I finally got to sit down  :D 
EA0FB4DB-94C7-49D6-837D-BE3039847E72.thumb.jpeg.1bd669ed430587c74a308c5a533c0a9d.jpeg

Followers of this thread will know my exploits with my KCT oven last year were somewhat varied owing to trying to get the damned oven to the right temperature as seen above 😅

Since that party last year I have to say that I only used the oven sparingly owing to me really struggling to maintain a steady temperature using wood. Often I’d make a small batch of dough and make my pizzas the frying pan and grill method. 

I had planned this long weekend to crack out my pizza oven and give it a real good go of maintaining that temperature so I could make the family pizzas on my own without someone helping with the fuel 😅 That was until we got a short notice invite to a party…

I didn’t bother making any of my own dough as we had plans to eat out over the other couple of days. Anyways, I’m ranting…!! There was an Ooni at the party I went to…

My god! The simplicity!! With the most basic of ingredients (I’m talking tomato purée and Red Leicester cheese on some pizzas!) our host was able to make wonderful pizzas and in no time at all. He must have served around a dozen pizzas in no more than 30-40 minutes. On my KCT beast I’d have been in the garden for an hour before the first dough got near the oven messing with the temperature. 

The question is, whilst the KCT beast my wife bought me was very thoughtful (especially as it was a returning home gift from working away for a few months) how can I tell her I can’t use the damned thing easy enough and we’re getting an Ooni?! 😁 Before you answer that, yes she was with me at this party and was impressed with the simplicity and results produced by the Ooni. 

TL:DR - I’m rubbish with my existing pizza oven and now want an Ooni. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I got a 12" Karu back in... late April I think? Read loads of stuff on here and then spent about a fortnight watching videos on YouTube (Vito Iacopelli is great, isn't he?). Have made about 15 pizzas now and am getting better and learning all the time. Things like oven temperature, how to shuffle the pizza off the peel... that kinda stuff.

I am having most fun making and experimenting with my own dough. I've stuck to Neapolitan so far. Am going to have my first run at making a poolish and double-fermenting dough next week. My wife is watching the whole thing with a polite sense of confusion as to why her husband suddenly needed a fermenting jar and certain kinds of flour. Tried a few different toppings, so far my favourite two were this pesto one:

IMG_0562.thumb.jpg.80dcc2d3e0b3e0d474f9d87005f17edf.jpg

And this pepperoni one I made last weekend:

IMG_0768.thumb.jpg.a8d32a756a5623e8bf370ee5764adabd.jpg

Main challenges or things I've gotten 'wrong' so far (I say wrong, but at the end of the day they still end up tasting nice)

• A few times I've not managed to get the air in the dough into the edges enough, resulting in a massively puffy 50% crust pizza
  • I am prone to putting a bit too much cheese and sauce on, leaving the pizza a little too 'wet' in the middle
  • I don't trust the dough enough, in as much as I often end up with pizzas too small because I wasn't feeling like I could stretch the dough as much as it would likely have gone

But yeah, overall this is great fun and each time I make a pizza I get a little bit better.

17 hours ago, kiroquai said:

A few times I've not managed to get the air in the dough into the edges enough, resulting in a massively puffy 50% crust pizza

Weirdly I learnt recently that this is a style of pizza - pizza canotto. Found a couple of restaurants that sell it (including one with an 80% hydration dough!!) - https://instagram.com/tozziforneriamoderna?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=