uuni ooni ommi or other pizza ovens

Shimmyhill

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Galbani do a block of dryer mozzarellas which is perfect for pizza, slices up nicely and minimal juice runs out the packaging. I get it from Ocado or Sainsbury so don't imagine it's that hard to find elsewhere

300x300.jpg

This is what I use for my peasants normal oven pizza making. Where I think it's even more important because the temperature isn't nearly high enough to overcome the moisture in normal mozzarella.

12 hours ago, Gotters said:

Galbani do a block of dryer mozzarella which is perfect for pizza, slices up nicely and minimal juice runs out the packaging. I get it from Ocado or Sainsbury so don't imagine it's that hard to find elsewhere

300x300.jpg

This is good stuff. It's worth keeping an eye out when Lidl do their "italian week" as they also tend to have this block type mozzarella but at a much better price.

On 29/06/2022 at 20:40, cubik said:

As much as I love the wet mozzarella that comes in a bag of juice, I've found that it's the major contributor to a soggy pizza.

You can go the grated route which still works well

Avoid pre grated tho as full of nasty stuff.

We need to rescue our Ooni as its been in storage for ages but we dont have a garden - its more of a mud pit with lots of wild flowers… I like to think im helping the bees but it does mean no BBQ or pizza oven here yet and thats depressing :( 

Great work @kiroquai - I remember the early days lessons of less is defi more with toppings and dough can stretch way more than you think. I imagine we will be back at square one with so little practice of late.

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Avoid pre grated tho as full of nasty stuff.

According to the label it's got potato starch on it to stop it clumping together. There's no pollonium or arsenic in it as far as I can see.

On 05/07/2022 at 20:42, cubik said:

According to the label it's got potato starch on it to stop it clumping together. There's no pollonium or arsenic in it as far as I can see.

Yeah it's fine in a pinch. The starch makes it brown a little more maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

I need some pizza advice. We've got a good dough recipe and are making some good pizzas but have one slight problem.

The flour/semolina mixture that we use to dust the dough ball before stretching and to stop the pizza sticking to the peel will burn on the oven floor when the pizza goes in. We've got a perforated peel which is meant to allow this flour to fall away from the pizza base but we often end up with a blackened base even though the pizza is not burnt. We also get burnt flour on the oven floor which needs brushing away between pizzas or it'll burst into flames. 

Anybody have any idea what's going wrong? What do you use to dust the dough balls or your worktop/peel?

On 24/07/2022 at 22:40, jonnyalpha said:

Maybe we're being too cautious after having some pizzas stuck to the peel. 

We just use semolina, flour always burns but can get away with a decent amount of semolina.

Anyone know which high street supermarkets still sell OO flour?

I've tried Tesco, Aldi, Morrissons and M&S but nobody seems to have it. Tesco had loads of it last year but it seems to have fallen out of favour.

Not looking for massive bags of it from a wholesaler or bakery supplier, just the standard 1kg or 1.5kg.

18 minutes ago, cubik said:

I've tried Tesco, Aldi, Morrissons and M&S but nobody seems to have it. Tesco had loads of it last year but it seems to have fallen out of favour.

Not looking for massive bags of it from a wholesaler or bakery supplier, just the standard 1kg or 1.5kg.

Waitrose do and ive seen it in Lidl in the past couple of months as remember commenting on it!

5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Waitrose do and ive seen it in Lidl in the past couple of months as remember commenting on it!

I've give Lidl a try, there's no Waitrose round here (not that I can afford it anyway).

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2022 at 20:55, cubik said:

You can order it on Amazon

8 hours ago, tobert said:

You can order it on Amazon

Thanks.

I'd looked on Amazon and can't bring myself to spend a tenner on a bag of flour (including P&P) when the last lot of OO I got in Tesco cost less than a quid.

I'll be in Machester at weekend so will see if Salvi's deli has any in.

I didn't get any OO flour but found that our local Italian takeaway was selling pizza dough balls. £2 each so they weren't cheap but they would make a 12" pizza and I thought they were worth a try.

I have to say that my main issue with the Ooni has always been getting the pizzas off the peel, it's still hit and miss as to whether they slide off or stick.

First pizza slid off the peel beautifully and kept its shape. I slightly overcooked one side (but I like the burnt bits so never mind) but what a crust, absolutely lovely and light.

Yes, it has pineapple on it. I never understood the controversy surrounding it as it's one of the finest pizza toppings going and anyone who says otherwise is wrong 😉

pizza1.thumb.jpg.24ceb8b2de79b72b77ec75b5c15d64be.jpg

Next a garlic bread, half with tomato. Didn't slide off quite as slickly and concertinad itself up a bit so the initial circle became more of an ellipse.

Still tasted bloody great though.

gb1.thumb.jpg.bc10cc01eedb85576a683711b61826c2.jpg

The third one had the most ingredients - Roast chicken, some Coppa from an artisan butcher, mushrooms, peppers, onions and sweetcorn.

Unfortunately I tried to slide it in and it stuck to the peel, with most of the expensive meat flying off and into the flames at the back. An absolute disaster.

I thought I'd got the hang of things and then this happened. Gutted.

Oh well, another excuse to try again I suppose! I'll go for the semolina next time as mentioned above.

On the subject of dough balls, anyone tried these? They look like they could be convenient and are £2.75 for four.

The pizza crust in the image they use looks a bit underwhelming though.

573204011_0_1280x1280.jpg?identifier=1c8

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/morrisons-the-best-sourdough-pizza-dough-balls-4-pack-573204011

The instructions only mention normal ovens so maybe they're no good for the mega high temps in an Ooni?

On 14/08/2022 at 19:31, cubik said:

I didn't get any OO flour but found that our local Italian takeaway was selling pizza dough balls. £2 each so they weren't cheap but they would make a 12" pizza and I thought they were worth a try.

I have to say that my main issue with the Ooni has always been getting the pizzas off the peel, it's still hit and miss as to whether they slide off or stick.

Dusting the peel with semolina flour works a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a successful pizza session this weekend, managed to get 4 out of 4 launched without sticking or folding over.

The only difference this time was that we built the pizzas complete on the kitchen worktop, and I moved one at a time onto the perforated peel and then straight in the oven before it had time to stick.

Getting them onto the peel was relatively easy, just held one edge with a couple of fingers and shuffled it under carefully. Gave it a shake to make sure it was free to move and then straight in the Ooni. This is the first time where every single pizza slid straight off and into the oven.

Disclaimer, I only had grated mozz, and we did put a bit too much cheese on but who cares, it's pizza (and garlic bread).

p1.thumb.jpg.c0c1ec50567a75f61af2e01d3f57774a.jpg

p2.thumb.jpg.16563c803082a234fba866339036449d.jpg

p3.thumb.jpg.24deb1715cc54e52b3b908ada9ce68c3.jpg

p4.thumb.jpg.6ae5cb55aee1b61af34d6e76ac0b3c3d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2022 at 19:31, cubik said:

First pizza slid off the peel beautifully and kept its shape. I slightly overcooked one side (but I like the burnt bits so never mind) but what a crust, absolutely lovely and light.

Yes, it has pineapple on it. I never understood the controversy surrounding it as it's one of the finest pizza toppings going and anyone who says otherwise is wrong 😉

pizza1.thumb.jpg.24ceb8b2de79b72b77ec75b5c15d64be.jpg

Next a garlic bread, half with tomato. Didn't slide off quite as slickly and concertinad itself up a bit so the initial circle became more of an ellipse.

Still tasted bloody great though.

gb1.thumb.jpg.bc10cc01eedb85576a683711b61826c2.jpg

The third one had the most ingredients - Roast chicken, some Coppa from an artisan butcher, mushrooms, peppers, onions and sweetcorn.

Unfortunately I tried to slide it in and it stuck to the peel, with most of the expensive meat flying off and into the flames at the back. An absolute disaster.

I thought I'd got the hang of things and then this happened. Gutted.

Oh well, another excuse to try again I suppose! I'll go for the semolina next time as mentioned above.

On the subject of dough balls, anyone tried these? They look like they could be convenient and are £2.75 for four.

The pizza crust in the image they use looks a bit underwhelming though.

573204011_0_1280x1280.jpg?identifier=1c8

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/morrisons-the-best-sourdough-pizza-dough-balls-4-pack-573204011

The instructions only mention normal ovens so maybe they're no good for the mega high temps in an Ooni?

@cubik I’ve tried those Morrisons doughs. Admittedly only via the frying pan/grill method but they’re surprisingly easy to handle and they actually taste really good. As there us only me in my household who eats ‘homemade’ pizza these are perfect for me to keep in for when I need my pizza fix 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Was going to use ours yesterday but the connection on the regulator is way to big for the connection on the gas tank we have. I shot to B&Q but all of the patio gas tanks seemed to have a much smaller connection than that on the Ooni 

had anyone else had this issue?

22 minutes ago, joemul said:

Was going to use ours yesterday but the connection on the regulator is way to big for the connection on the gas tank we have. I shot to B&Q but all of the patio gas tanks seemed to have a much smaller connection than that on the Ooni 

had anyone else had this issue?

What gas bottles are you looking at?

Assuming you have a UK/EU regulator you want Patio Gas. (Green bottle). It’s the same as propane (red bottle) but has a different connection. 
Red bottle is more for outside heating/catering. Green for BBQs etc. 

Green is also dearer even though it’s the same thing as red. But you’d need a connection converter thing to use red in your ooni. And as it’s gas I wouldn’t be messing around with that. It’s better to pay the extra tenner IMO. 

If not then your regulator might be a foreigner. In which case Ooni should replace for you.