rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Shimmyhill

uuni or other pizza ovens

20 hours ago, MemoryLeak said:

@Shimmyhill That looks amazing! How’s the internal structure in the crust?

Very light and fluffy, crispy with a bit of chew - if you pinch it it just collapses to nothing!

spacer.png

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, MemoryLeak said:

Beautiful. Recipe please!

It’s the Ooni classic pizza dough recipe from their app, we use Caputo pizza flour and have some very accurate new scales for the yeast weighing - our otherwise good Salter scales are not good at weighing 2g etc, the new ones have a pad for normal weights and a small second pad for accurate tiny weights! 

On 11/06/2020 at 23:15, Horribleman said:

Weighing yeast is a pain in the arse.

I got dealer style scales for doing it. Seen then on a police interceptors episode an though I nerd a set for measuring the 5 grams (of yeast/salt) 

• Upvote 1

Very nice, I think I would go Koda or maybe Pro over the 3 now - used it again yesterday and gas (and I say this as someone who doesn’t like it for a bbq fuel source) is just brilliant on the Ooni.

I highly recommend a cast iron skillet, the Ooni one we have is brilliant, I wish I had two now as the veg I did on it yesterday was amazing but had to do it in batches - I would say veg cooked in the Ooni is easily the best tasting I’ve done across oven, bbq and even smoker!

There is an Italian brand one that’s cheaper and used commercially that’s meant to be better than that one, you can get it in the UK from a few distributors - I’ll try and find the brand but it’s all the rage on the pizza groups I follow!

Used the Koda for the first time tonight. So easy, twist button, wait 15 minutes, put in pizza wait 20s, turn, 20s, turn, 20s done. No pics as we’d scoffed the lot before I thought about it.

Properly totally restaurant grade pizza (and I mean Rudy’s,  not dominos!). Dead portable too so can lend to mates/neighbours etc. 

52 minutes ago, MemoryLeak said:

Used the Koda for the first time tonight. So easy, twist button, wait 15 minutes, put in pizza wait 20s, turn, 20s, turn, 20s done. No pics as we’d scoffed the lot before I thought about it.

Properly totally restaurant grade pizza (and I mean Rudy’s,  not dominos!). Dead portable too so can lend to mates/neighbours etc. 

How long do these ovens take to cool down?

I wouldn't want to have to leave it outside for hours after we'd used it and I'm always worried that our cats would climb on something like this if it was left unattended.

Once you've turned the gas off, how long till it can be moved safely and stored in a garage?

Not that long really. They’re mostly metal, so an hour - two at most, and they’re cool enough to take indoors. 

Maybe even quicker. Think mine was cool enough to pickup after maybe 20-30 mins. The stone was still warm (radiator hot, maybe 50c) but all the metal bits were cool.

On 19/06/2020 at 23:25, Shimmyhill said:

There is an Italian brand one that’s cheaper and used commercially that’s meant to be better than that one, you can get it in the UK from a few distributors - I’ll try and find the brand but it’s all the rage on the pizza groups I follow!

I would like to know what this is.

22 hours ago, OnionNon said:

Not that long really. They’re mostly metal, so an hour - two at most, and they’re cool enough to take indoors. 

21 hours ago, MemoryLeak said:

Maybe even quicker. Think mine was cool enough to pickup after maybe 20-30 mins. The stone was still warm (radiator hot, maybe 50c) but all the metal bits were cool.

Cheers for that, very tempted by these. I love pizza and this puts the frying pan method to shame.

they look very impressive on youtube, love seeing the dough rise and the pizza cook before your eyes in realtime - the Sage one is likely to come in near a grand I'm guessing as the Breville in the US is $999 - Sage say its launching on their site 1st July.

the other dodgy option is the one recently taken by Alex (French Guy Cooking on youtube) - if you have an oven with a high temp pyrolytic cleaning mode people are modding their ovens by hacking off the security door lock when its activated to let them use it to cook pizza in - I have a SMEG pyro oven but won't be doing that. 

They do look impressive, I’m not sure I see the need for one - gas is so easy on the Ooni and I’ve no issue cooking outside all year round so an indoor electric one seem overkill for home use but each to their own!

Its defi a bit of a cliche but my word we will never touch a takeaway pizza again, it’s not a hard process to make the dough but the results are so much better!

I got lucky and found a used koda for sale near me at a reasonably good price, picked it up this afternoon. It came with the basic ooni peel.

Tried it out this evening making 3 small mozzarellas using some strong bread flour for the dough that we had already and we were really impressed with the results, seller gave me a big bag of 00 flour so I’ll try that next

Getting the pizza off the basic peel and into the oven wasn’t too much of an issue but I found turning quite tricky, any recommendations for an upgraded peel with a handle and a circular turning peel? Preferably not the mega expensive ooni ones!

• Upvote 1

On 28/06/2020 at 23:12, Gorf said:

I got lucky and found a used koda for sale near me at a reasonably good price, picked it up this afternoon. It came with the basic ooni peel.

Tried it out this evening making 3 small mozzarellas using some strong bread flour for the dough that we had already and we were really impressed with the results, seller gave me a big bag of 00 flour so I’ll try that next

Getting the pizza off the basic peel and into the oven wasn’t too much of an issue but I found turning quite tricky, any recommendations for an upgraded peel with a handle and a circular turning peel? Preferably not the mega expensive ooni ones!

do you have the metal peel with no handle?

We have found a wooden peel (doesn’t need to be ooni, ours is pro cook as much cheaper)  is best for launching (putting the uncooked pizza into the ooni) and the metal peel for turning but just take it out and manually rotate - the small metal peel with handle is meant to allow turning while in the oven but a cost too far for us as we have no issues with the setup.

7 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

do you have the metal peel with no handle?

We have found a wooden peel (doesn’t need to be ooni, ours is pro cook as much cheaper)  is best for launching (putting the uncooked pizza into the ooni) and the metal peel for turning but just take it out and manually rotate - the small metal peel with handle is meant to allow turning while in the oven but a cost too far for us as we have no issues with the setup.

yes, the basic metal peel with no handle is what I’ve got

I’ll look into a wooden peel for launching.

I’m finding one peel just isn’t enough, any second peel would be good to get the next pizza set up ready to launch while the first one is in the oven

I use a wooden peel for prep/launching then the flat ooni steel one for taking out/turning. 

Similar - wooden peel to prep and launch, metal to turn and take out and then have a round wooden (Lidl special) serving board to put cooked pizza on! It’s a decent work flow when doing a few but we also picked up some stackable pizza trays in Lidl as an ooni group had a cracking idea for making the pizzas first and putting them on baking paper on the stackable trays to then take out and have a cooking production line!

I’ve now found that a barbecue burger flipper is ideal as a turning peel

Did lamb chops in a heavy frying pan at the weekend, worked really well

Sage Pizzaiolo ovens now for sale in the UK - having watched every video going on the Breville US version I was quite sold but said I'd carefully consider it before buying.

It came in stock today and I've ordered one. Man maths came into play promising myself I'd never order delivery again and it will pay for itself in no time.

It's saving money not spending it really.

• Upvote 3

On 10/07/2020 at 10:57, Gotters said:

Sage Pizzaiolo ovens now for sale in the UK - having watched every video going on the Breville US version I was quite sold but said I'd carefully consider it before buying.

It came in stock today and I've ordered one. Man maths came into play promising myself I'd never order delivery again and it will pay for itself in no time.

It's saving money not spending it really.

We haven’t touched a take away pizza, I can’t think of any restaurant pizza I would want over it either and that’s just a std Neapolitan style pizza - it’s so good!

How much was it in the end and what pushed you to the breville over the Effeuno