IGNORED

The best retro Cyberpunk games

Unofficial Who

Inspired by Wiper's epic video and thread about the Shadowrun games....hang on.....you haven't watched it yet?

Read this thread and watch the video

OK. Back now? Shadowrun is all well and good but there were loads of other ways to explore Cybersapce back in the 80's and 90's.

For me it was the game of the film of the book.

neuromancer-game-0atitle.jpg

Just look at it. Lovely. (Never mind that the movie didn't happen.)

And when they said soundtrack by Devo they meant it. At least on the C64.Never mind the bit rate! It's an emulation of THE FUTURE!

Anyway it was an odd rpg. In the real world you couldn't really get much done. Unless you had a 'deck' whoich woud enable you to link into the net. Cheapo models would allow you to access email, online banking and news text services. All run of the mill stuff. Except this game was released in 1988, many years before such things became commonplace. Get skilled enough, or find out the right details from the right bulletin boards and you could hack details. Get an even better deck and you could jack into cyberspace and run down the more obscure databases. This is where the rpg meat of the game was as your stats relied on having a good deck and good warez to run against ICE.

neuromancer_29.gif

Get hit by too many coountermeasures and you risk flatlining in real life. You might have literally sold a kidney to get that new deck but that loss of constitution could cost you dearly.

And heaven help you if you accessed the wrong database and had to face off against an AI.

neuromancer_31.gif

What obscure cyberpunk games did you love?

Warning in advance. The one below doesn't count.

cyberpunks_01.png

I remember playing BloodNet. It was one of the first games I owned on the PC. 

I'm actually finding it hard to remember, but I do remember enjoying it. 

... Something about a microchip stopping me from completely changing into a vampire, and a cyberspace...

anyway, check that out!

image.png

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Does Syndicate count?

It does. And therefore is the best one.

Although quite difficult to play these days. I have no idea why I've never bought Satellite Reign, but I haven't.

EDIT: It's currently reduced in the Humble sale, if anyone else is going through the same mental process as me.

7 hours ago, Vimster said:

Does Syndicate count?

Of course it does. A team of four cyborgs blasting all and sundry.

Speaking of teams of four, another of my favourites was this gem. Liberation:Captive 2.

Check out this intro

It's a sci-fi version of those tile based 3D dungeon games. Instead of a party of elves, dwarves and hobbits looking for some treausre you controlled four robots from a nice safe location in order to uncover proof that the corporations were framing innocent people for the murder of other people by rampant 'bots.

It had some sort of procedural engine, every prisoner released would have you restart with a more convoluted path to the prisoner.

You could even modify the pinouts in your bots, I found a configuration that made my bot's a lot more power effiicient. There also seemed to be items in the game that suggested more elaborate ideas were in the pipeline. Why have ceramic guns if not to sneak them past metal detectors? The cities felt a little empty, I'd love to see this concept and world modernised.

I'd almost forgotten....Rise of the Dragon! I could never find an Amiga copy but would trek over to a friend's house once a week so we could try and solve the VGA version together.(he owed me because I managed to write up a DOS boot script that would give him enough ram to actually run the thing.)

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

As for one best left forgotten....

Blade Runner....for the C64.

Looks promising

277865-blade-runner-commodore-64-screens

Oh shit.

277871-blade-runner-commodore-64-screens

"A video game interpretation of the movie score by Vangelis".

I kid you not. They licensed the soundtrack. God knows how they got past that...

BladeRunner(C64).jpg

On 13/09/2016 at 00:25, Droo said:

I remember playing BloodNet. It was one of the first games I owned on the PC. 

I'm actually finding it hard to remember, but I do remember enjoying it. 

... Something about a microchip stopping me from completely changing into a vampire, and a cyberspace...

anyway, check that out!

image.png

Funny you should mention Bloodnet, Hardcore Gaming 101 has just written a retrospect about it http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bloodnet/bloodnet.htm

chargen_001.png

On 13/09/2016 at 12:39, Rev said:

BASS has aged really well. Anyone who hasn't played it definitely should.

Absolutely. It's a little short but the atmosphere and humour are still fantastic, and it has one of my favourite soundtracks of all time. Also, there really is no excuse not to play it since you can get the full talkie version for absolutely free from GOG.