rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Vemsie

Rive - Two Tribes' swan song

As some of you may or or may not know, Two Tribes - the Dutch indie studio that made Toki Tori amongst others - just released its latest game. They won't make any new ones, so they're going out with a bang, quite literally. Rive is a shooter/platformer in which you control a little tank with hacking abilities and a lot of firepower. I've played through the first five levels and I really dig it. It harkens back to the good old days of pure arcade goodness and challenging gameplay. It controls well, runs smooth, sounds fantastic and doesn't take itself seriously. A pure videogame. Well worth it.

The launch trailer basically tells you all you need to know.

• Upvote 4

How funny, I saw the Game maker's Toolkit video on Toki  Tori last night! Looks like a neat little game, and as such my interest in this is piqued! 

So this is pretty great but fuck me it's harder than a very hard thing. Level 9 "rising lava" has just had me using every bit if profanity I know, plus some newly created ones.

Besides the ludicrous difficulty at times it really is a bit of a love letter to so many games and genre's. It's a pity this is their last work. Anyone know what the story is behind that?

12 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

So this is pretty great but fuck me it's harder than a very hard thing. Level 9 "rising lava" has just had me using every bit if profanity I know, plus some newly created ones.

Besides the ludicrous difficulty at times it really is a bit of a love letter to so many games and genre's. It's a pity this is their last work. Anyone know what the story is behind that?

What they say here is that they don't feel comfortable with many aspects of modern game development (stuff like free-to-play and marketing through social media). Too bad, since I think a game like Rive is perfect for this day and age. It's so lean: ideas are introduced and discarded all the time and without unnecessary repetition. It's not that flashy in its presentation and the monologue/dialogue takes a while to warm up to, which will probably keep it from getting the exposure it deserves, unfortunately.

I also don't think it's that challenging. There are some sections I had to repeat a dozen times or so, but respawning is so quick that these still don't last more than ten minutes in total. It's also pretty smart in providing health just when you need it, so that it feels more challenging than that it actually is. We're not talking Super Meat Boy levels of difficulty here.

I just passed that bit and it's indeed quite hard. What helped me was double jumping as quickly as possible. Instead of double jumping at the end of a jump (which maximizes distances but is comparatively slow) you just need an extra 'hop' make it to a ledge.

Just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and Rive looks great. Although it's disappointing to hear them refer to Toki Tori 2 simply as a 'fun little cutesy puzzle platformer' when it's so much more than that.

• Upvote 1

So I did something I haven't done in a long time and sent the dev an email asking them about the game and basically saying I was really enjoying it. Hey, it's nice to be nice! I did make a joke of the crushing difficulty- especially the rising lava level but blamed it on my failing responses.

This morning I received a really nice reply back. Apparently they've had a lot of people with similar issues and have found there's an issue with lag on some TV's making it almost impossible to complete. There's a Steam patch coming out this week and on the PS4 next week which will address this.

Vindicated! :D

Well, I did it pre-patch as well. :)

My old Panny plasma was never laggy to begin with of course.

Completed it this weekend. Lovely little game.

I totally missed this but it looks fantastic.

Just need to pick between PS4 and PC now..

On 9/18/2016 at 22:45, BubbleFish said:

On 9/19/2016 at 11:04, BubbleFish said:

I must be getting old then. I'm currently stuck on Rising Lava and cannot progress- its just too fast and I'm just too slow!

My finger needs a rest after the jumping in that level. :o