Synths and Similar - an electronic music gear thread

Rowan Morrison

On 11/08/2021 at 13:15, hub2 said:

Maschine MK3 comes with Komplete Select, so to start off with I doubt you would need any additional software to make sounds. If you like it, you can always upgrade to Komplete and get more. Wait for the sale - your upgrade price will be half price. I think I got Komplete 13 for £180 which is ridiculous value IMO.

The Maschine software itself will allow you to compose and makes tracks but it's not a complete DAW, so  you will run into issues when you want to do something a little more complex, mix it, etc. But it's  good starting point and is less complex than other tools. You can always start with Ableton Live lite while you are getting up to speed and that is free as @cavalcade mentioned, and has several pricing tiers.

I would also recommend a midi keyboard on top of the MK3 - get a cheap 2nd hand one. With knobs. ;)

Bottom line from me however is just get something and play around with it. There is a lot of analysis paralysis when it comes to music gear - you can create music on a 5 year old lap top that sounds great, or walk into million dollar aladdin's cave of hardware and sound shit. Keep your number instruments, effects and tools very small for now, while you learn the ropes.

Hi.

So as I read through all the info etc I am getting a bit more confused.

What do I do once I have the bones of a song in the Maschine software. Can I 'route' it into a DAW or do I need to do something else?

• 1 month later...

I have myself a Faderfox UC4. http://www.faderfox.de/uc4.html

I think it's really great! I bought it primarily to give me additional control over the Drambo app on my iPad, and also my Elektron Octatrack, by mapping the knobs, faders and buttons to various functions. I've only investigated it with Drambo so far, but it's already a total gamechanger in terms of workflow. I can do loads of stuff at once that would formerly only have been possible one thing at a time in the UI of the app.

Plus, the iPad can power it from the Camera Connection Kit. No need for anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What is without a doubt the best iOS music app released this year (and a strong contender for best music app ever, IMO) has just been released!

https://apps.apple.com/app/loopy-pro-looper-daw-sampler/id1492670451

Loopy Pro is a live-looper. And a sampler. And a sequencer. And a very capable AUv3 Audio Unit host. And a DAW. And an AUv3 Audio Unit.

You get the idea. Loopy Pro is deep. But it's also designed to be friendly, and a great deal of fun.

You can set up Loopy Pro to work however you do, with features like hands-free looping with count-in, count-out and automatic loop detection; or "free" looping, where you can choose on-the-fly how long to make loops. There's even retrospective recording, where you can lock in a loop after the fact.

There's extensive MIDI controller support, including built-in support for the Launchpad and the APC40 mk2, and effortless MIDI Learn for setting up your controllers.

You can also drag-and-drop audio straight onto loops in Loopy Pro, with sophisticated tempo and pitch adjustments, and use Loopy Pro as a clip launcher, with all kinds of options for song sectioning.

The built-in mixer lets you set up insert and send effects for every channel in your project, and load AUv3 Audio Unit instruments, effects, and MIDI sequencers.

And there's a built-in sequencer, for arranging songs, and even performing them live, totally automated and hands-free.

There's also a great deal still to come.

So, what are you reading this for? Go take Loopy Pro for a spin – there's a 7-day free trial just waiting for you.

Have fun!

- Michael

loopypro.com

There's an amazing tutorial here: 

This is an ESSENTIAL app for anyone interested in music making on iOS. Right up there with Drambo, AUM and Audiobus. 

• 1 month later...

Been having crazy fun creating some nice acid beats with the Roland TR-8S and a TB-3. They're really rather good at replicating their progenitors (despite being digital). I'm definitely more into jamming than going deep. Right up my street.

Feel like A Guy Called Gerald. 

Only a lot, lot shitter.

Got a new toy a couple of days ago:

Screenshot_2022-01-26-12-08-13-69_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.thumb.jpg.2dd8a343c3ec0c8cdf7735796903f719.jpg

It's essentially a four part probabilistic sequencer that allows randomised control over the notes and lengths of those notes but can be set to loop once you find something you like. I'm still getting to grips with it, but I've got it tinkling away playing random melodies while I work and I'm very happy so far, was worth the six month wait.

As an addendum to my above post, it's music night. Got some cold Peroni incoming, some ingredients for a couple of dirty cocktails and a bit of er..blazin'. And a nice three cheese pizza for much later.

Got a fella who's good entertainment playing in the background live on Youtube, Bizzy B. He did a few jungle tracks back in the day, I remember a couple of them, not bad. He's got me dangerously interested in old samplers and emulators, Akai etc.

Fun night ahead.

20220127_190747.jpg

P.S. That little mixer I've got for my Volcas is pretty rubbish. Got a better one coming tomorrow with a PC audio interface. Deffo not recommended, even just for your Volca setup.

Yeah, I think I'd have to be seriously out of my mind to go anywhere near one. The guy I'm watching has been using them for 30 years and makes it look like a fun time but I know they'd be a nightmare coming in hot and something that's best left in the past. 

I'll steer clear*

*Until 1am tonight when I'm out of my mind. jk...I hope.

This TR-8S is a right box of tricks. Sussing some of its menu dives and it's opening up some hitherto unknown swagger. Great purchase. Think I need that pizza, though.

Think I need help with this electronic music lark, bought a Yamaha DD 75. I haven't played the drums in 20 years. I know it's a bit of a toy but I had a little test before I bought it and think I can integrate it with my set up to create a few of my own breaks.

Had a few lessons back in the day, always wanted to be Phil Collins in the mid 80s. Would rather be Clyde Stubblefield these days. 

It's been nice reading this thread and the fun people have had with various electronic gizmos. I'm usually crap at sharing, but thought some here might find these synth improvisations interesting, especially to hear the kinds of sounds you can make on the Nord Lead 3 (a kind of misunderstood and brilliant synth in my mind; so sad it's discontinued), Moog Subsequent 37, Korg MS-20 mini, Elektron Machinedrum, Roland Juno 106, Roland JD-XA, Waldorf Rocket etc. Obviously you don't need any of that gear to make good music, but I tended to always find new instruments brought new inspiration. If you're short on time the fun really starts at around 2:17, where how the Machinedrum controls all the other synths is clearer (and I try to play things whilst holding a camera with another hand.)

• 3 weeks later...

More DAW related (maybe just a FLS problem) but something that I found crazy revolutionary - you can download something called Virtual Audio Cable which when set up and plugged into your mixer can let you play audio through your DAW. So you can record samples really quickly from any source. Something else - this allows you to add effects and change the pitch in real-time so you can mess around with people's voices when you're getting bored in a tutorial.

https://vb-audio.com/Cable/

• 1 month later...

Odd one this, but as part of my ongoing inability to say "no", I've somehow agreed to play keyboards on stage at a show in June. I'm primarily a drummer and occasional guitarist so this is a bit out of my comfort zone!

I've got a Yamaha stage piano (I think it's a P-45, or something very similar if not) and my plan is to use it as a MIDI controller to drive a MacBook Air running MainStage. I'll probably get a Bluetooth pedal to change patches and stuff. Anyway that part is all in hand really. 

Can anyone recommend a decent way to mount the Mac on stage? It's a theatre show and I'll be on stage at the front, so it needs to look good as well as being practical (ie I can't get away with bodging stuff/sticking things together with lots of duct tape, it has to look pro). The piano is on a normal X stand at the moment. It's a standing performance, not seated, which obviously makes a difference to the height. 

It's a paid show so I don't mind spending a little bit of money but like, I'm unlikely to do too many of them so I don't want to spend huge amounts. 

22 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Odd one this, but as part of my ongoing inability to say "no", I've somehow agreed to play keyboards on stage at a show in June. I'm primarily a drummer and occasional guitarist so this is a bit out of my comfort zone!

I've got a Yamaha stage piano (I think it's a P-45, or something very similar if not) and my plan is to use it as a MIDI controller to drive a MacBook Air running MainStage. I'll probably get a Bluetooth pedal to change patches and stuff. Anyway that part is all in hand really. 

Can anyone recommend a decent way to mount the Mac on stage? It's a theatre show and I'll be on stage at the front, so it needs to look good as well as being practical (ie I can't get away with bodging stuff/sticking things together with lots of duct tape, it has to look pro). The piano is on a normal X stand at the moment. It's a standing performance, not seated, which obviously makes a difference to the height. 

It's a paid show so I don't mind spending a little bit of money but like, I'm unlikely to do too many of them so I don't want to spend huge amounts. 

Something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-Heavy-Duty-Laptop-Stand-Projector/dp/B01MRMF2TQ/ref=pd_sbs_267_3/257-6917713-4262651?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MRMF2TQ&pd_rd_r=09229faa-a22e-11e9-83d2-5917694755a9&pd_rd_w=Le3W9&pd_rd_wg=paYVQ&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=E95W5M4S683Z155B0H06&psc=1&refRID=E95W5M4S683Z155B0H06

I think it's this one that I bought to hold my iPad and Roli Seaboard Block when I was using them on stage with my band. Should fit the Air.

Good shout. I've got something similar at home but the top joint is a bit flimsy and vulnerable to side-to-side play. That one has a better-designed top joint (the support is spread out horizontally). 

Might pick one of these up, ta. 

• 2 months later...

Playing around with a Roland E-4 voice tweaker.

I'm not exactly using it for what its main use case is but my only dynamic mic has given up the ghost and my condenser doesn't seem to want to play with it, it's definitely got some input quirks but still having fun making a few Forbidden Planet style noises. Got a new cheapish Shure coming tomorrow, it's only for a bit of fun twiddling, like all the gear I buy. It's a lot of fun even without a mic. Getting some wild sounds with the scatter and reverb.

EDIT* Got my new mic, my pathetic beat box attempts and guttural noises can be looped and tinkered with using the vocoder etc into mad fun. Love it.

20220611_221244.jpg

2 hours ago, Blunted said:

@daninski I'm kinda scared to look into Norns stuff. It looks ace from the little I've seen, but like a real rabbit hole.

It’s definitely a rabbit hole. A very rich one. There’s a lot of novelty things there, but also some real nice sounding synths, and useful midi tools. 

• 1 month later...