Jump to content

Synths and Similar - an electronic music gear thread


Rowan Morrison
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

Received it on Friday and it’s totally amazing. The only limit is imagination! I’m still making my way through the basics, but using the 2 inputs and outputs I can make a patch for vocals and guitar simultaneously on separate paths, including loopers, loads of FX, expression pedal input, sequencers... it’s ridiculous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/05/2019 at 12:37, Eighthours said:

Received it on Friday and it’s totally amazing. The only limit is imagination! I’m still making my way through the basics, but using the 2 inputs and outputs I can make a patch for vocals and guitar simultaneously on separate paths, including loopers, loads of FX, expression pedal input, sequencers... it’s ridiculous. 

It looks amazing. Is there any way for it to make sounds in itself or does it need some kind of midi input?

 

Edit: Just had a proper look and it seems you can add a keyboard as a module. Awesome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mindgames said:

It looks amazing. Is there any way for it to make sounds in itself or does it need some kind of midi input?

 

Edit: Just had a proper look and it seems you can add a keyboard as a module. Awesome!

 

Yep, you can 'make' a keyboard on the device, or get it to run a sequence of notes with a sequencer module, or you can use a sequencer to make generative music if that's your thing and you make the right connections. I haven't tried making a synth patch myself yet, but there are a few preset patches on the machine using subtractive and FM synthesis that sound surprisingly big/good, and of course you can put those through the amazing FX modules.

 

Yesterday I made a guitar patch that was so sublime in terms of reverb and delay, I could have cried!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Haha! I hope you enjoy it! I find it endlessly inspirational. The modulation possibilities alone are insane. Pads for days.

 

*Edit* I'm currently waiting by the post box for a Bastl Microgranny. It left London four fucking days ago. Can't wait to mess with some noisy granular sample stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to think hard about it. Either this or the Korg Mini XD, but this has more options in OSC modulation and sequencing. Similar to what the Korg can do, but with more power on the digital side. And its kinda 6 note vs 4 note which means bigger chords and as you say...far more interesting pads. 

 

Only thing it misses is CV but it can output the XYZ modulation via midi which means i may be able to coax some interesting modulation out of my other synths (esp. Cypher 2).

 

Love the way you can record knob changes per step as well. Sure that will come in useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fucking hell.

It even records button presses. If you double press the cut off filter envelope whilst recording over a pattern (or any of the buttons apart from the amp envelope i think) it'll record those too.

So you could set up 5 LFOs at different speeds modulating different things and have them play per note (or chord). 

 

If you record a piece whilst hitting random all steps it just randomises everything. Fucking hell. Then you can turn off the Rec and start modulating in real time.

So like....pull all the volumes down and fade all 6 OSCs which are now going fucking batshit.

 

Sadly theres no pan so everythings coming out mono, but i guess you could multi track each pass. But shit, just playing a single OSC sounds mental.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, the possibilities are actually mind boggling :lol: 

 

I like recording changes to the oscillator octaves throughout a sequence so it sounds like additional notes being played. Or using an LFO to modulate the shape of another LFO for some really random modulation. It can get very, very complex.

 

I tend to run it through a stereo chorus, delay and/or reverb into a pair of channels on my desk so I can mess with panning stuff.

 

*Edit* oh and the filter FM is ace for making stuff really dirty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried the envelope looping? That gives you another 3 effective LFO's for 8 modulation sources (Well - 10 as you can modulate the AMP and Filter envelopes separately).

But it means you can do really long LFO's that don't reset on key presses. 

 

The other good thing is it doesn't scale the notes when you change scale (i mean why should it, but some pad synths do).

 

So you can record say 8 random notes in a scale, then change the scale or key, and record another layer and it'll keep the new scale for as long as you want.

It doesn't back transpose the previous notes to the new scale. And of course if you DID want it too, you could always re-record the first 8 notes.

 

Somewhat gutted it doesn't have CV although i've not made use of the Audio Input. I don't even know where it paths to. The filter i presume.

And to be fair i can always modulate via CC but i'd like to be able to cross modulate between it and Neutron.

 

I've also just realised i can play Battery much easier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/06/2019 at 15:53, Dimahoo said:

Have you tried the envelope looping?

 

Yeah, I tend to use at least one as a delayed LFO too for a bit of additional modulation. Very useful!

 

The audio input does go via the filter. I run my PO-32 through it quite often when I'm just pissing about jamming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took the Medusa back - i'm not keen on its end sound. Its too clinical for me - esp. when put through long reverbs and it still seems to jump parameters when its being played back via the GRID and i'm editing parameters.

Plus we got burgled and i lost a camera lens :(

 

So I've got insurance back on that and am moving on into buying something else that i'll really use. Well...two things actually :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah its not nice.

 

I've plumped for the Korg XD and urm...a Matrixbrute (get this...18 months Interest free and £150 cheaper then everywhere else at Andertons).

Here....Just in case...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/search?categoryId=&storeId=10151&catalogId=3074457345616676668&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=24&searchTerm=matrixbrute&authToken=10000000083136%2CX507NdSXVgQw%2FrKDfFhKPHw2xW03%2F9a6IhL8lXSa2KE%3D&#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

 

They both CV's with the Neutron (i really like that aspect of my Neut'), plus the Matrix has software to control my Arturia collections, on top of the fact...well its a Matrix. 

I wanted something for general electronica, etc and i'll get results quick on the Matrix. The Korg XD has the modular sequencer and interesting extra OSC on top of some stunning effects. Software for everything else.

 

I liked many aspects of the medusa - but i couldn't really coax it when it came to the actual sound. The digital OSC's were somewhat wavetable restricted and i already have the best software for wavetable. Sadly i didn't feel I wasn't really getting my monies worth out of it.

I'm used to doing drums via my keyboard - so not having the pads doesn't really matter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/07/2019 at 16:49, Dimahoo said:

Yeah its not nice.

 

I've plumped for the Korg XD and urm...a Matrixbrute (get this...18 months Interest free and £150 cheaper then everywhere else at Andertons).

Here....Just in case...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/search?categoryId=&storeId=10151&catalogId=3074457345616676668&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=24&searchTerm=matrixbrute&authToken=10000000083136%2CX507NdSXVgQw%2FrKDfFhKPHw2xW03%2F9a6IhL8lXSa2KE%3D&#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

 

They both CV's with the Neutron (i really like that aspect of my Neut'), plus the Matrix has software to control my Arturia collections, on top of the fact...well its a Matrix. 

I wanted something for general electronica, etc and i'll get results quick on the Matrix. The Korg XD has the modular sequencer and interesting extra OSC on top of some stunning effects. Software for everything else.

 

I liked many aspects of the medusa - but i couldn't really coax it when it came to the actual sound. The digital OSC's were somewhat wavetable restricted and i already have the best software for wavetable. Sadly i didn't feel I wasn't really getting my monies worth out of it.

I'm used to doing drums via my keyboard - so not having the pads doesn't really matter.

 

 

I'd love to hear what you think of the Matrixbrute, it looks soooooooo great.

 

Anyone with an iPad/iPhone should check out the free ports of various Mutable Instruments modules now available under a collection called the 'Spectrum Synthesizer Bundle'. FREE. Did I mention they were free? And they're totally amazing... they're ports of Elements, Plaits, Rings and Clouds based on the open source code for them. I'm making sounds I've never heard before, they almost makes me want to get into Eurorack! They're AUv3, so load them into your favourite host app (eg. AUM).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Blunted said:

Watched that last night, it's absurd how much it can do and it makes every other groovebox look like crap. Why would anyone buy a new 707 when you could do everything with a deluge?

 

'It has a screen' is my only response to that, really!

 

If anything, the Deluge has become an exercise in paralysis similar to how I feel when I load up Ableton or boot up my Octatrack. There are so many possibilities that I find myself noodling around and exploring for hours then turning the machine off, rather than producing anything concrete. :lol: 

 

The only issue with the machine now is that it has become rather shortcut-heavy. Even though those shortcuts are very quick indeed (by virtue of there being so many grid pads or knobs to shift-press), it is turning into a memory game similar to the Octatrack. Just the nature of having so much functionality, I guess. I'm planning to produce a video about creating a song from start to finish using the current firmware in order to get myself out of the noodling mindset. See if I can do this in 30 mins - I find that tutorial vids always end up with shit music in them, and vids with decent tracks showing off the machine have no tutorial element, so I want to set myself the challenge of combining both. What I want to do is to produce an alternate version (I suppose we could call it a remix) of my band's forthcoming single from scratch, so I'll know what I'm aiming to achieve rather than starting from an actual blank slate in terms of inspiration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I've got my hands on an Akai mpk mini 2. I know it's pretty hardcore in here and people know what they are doing and use much more capable gear but hoping someone will give a noob a bit of advice. What is the best software to use for me to be able to have a noodle about?

 

I in no way want to make music, that boat sailed 30 years ago when I stopped my drum lessons but would love to get a beat and some sounds out of the thing. I know it comes with software to download but if I'd have more fun with fruitloops or something I'd happily splash out for a minimal software package.

 

Basically if the supplied software is my best bet as a noob I'll just fiddle with that but if something that costs is more intuitive I'll happily go straight for that.

 

Cheers.

 

p.s if anyone has any tut links for youtube etc I'll dedicate my first track to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, amc said:

I've got my hands on an Akai mpk mini 2. I know it's pretty hardcore in here and people know what they are doing and use much more capable gear but hoping someone will give a noob a bit of advice. What is the best software to use for me to be able to have a noodle about?

 

I in no way want to make music, that boat sailed 30 years ago when I stopped my drum lessons but would love to get a beat and some sounds out of the thing. I know it comes with software to download but if I'd have more fun with fruitloops or something I'd happily splash out for a minimal software package.

 

Basically if the supplied software is my best bet as a noob I'll just fiddle with that but if something that costs is more intuitive I'll happily go straight for that.

 

Cheers.

 

p.s if anyone has any tut links for youtube etc I'll dedicate my first track to you.

 

Does it come with Ableton Live Lite? If not, I must have a code for that somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current incarnation of my music room...  

 

studiosetup-2019-07.jpg

 

Couple of new additions since that pic, including Behringer K-2 and a Volca Nu-Bass, and currently winging their way from Thomann are the Behringer Pro-1 and Crave as well..

It's always a work in progress and things change around depending on what I'm noodling with at the time.  in the near future I'm hoping to add the Korg Minilogue XD module, and lusting after the Hydrasynth, though don't have the spare cash for that right now and I'm strict with myself, no credit for toys, so I'll have to wait until I've saved a few pennies before buying anything else.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.