IGNORED

Astroneer - 1.0 Update on February 6th, 2019

Yoshimax

I'm running a 3570 and an RX 480. 

Apart from v sync and resolution I don't think there are any in game settings at present. I'm running it at 1440p.

No idea about framerate as it's a UWA so I assumed Fraps wouldn't work and there's no built in frame counter. It's smooth with semi regular hitches when you try to do things like deform terrain. I think it's unoptimised rather than me not having the hardware grunt. 

I love the music in this. It's so peaceful. Such a chilled game. 

Started a new save file as my last one became unplayable with all the tethers and base modules I had set up. It's so nice to be in a playable world again. It looks stunning though, I'm loving the style of it. 

1 minute ago, Broker said:

Can you save at all? My son played for a bit but quit out and can't work out how to load his save? All the guys on the main menu seem to just land on random bits of ground.

Press X at the landing pod from when you start playing to save. The save file will be a blue hologram next to the 4 astronauts on the main menu. 

Xbox patch is out

Our first update for Xbox One and Windows 10 Store users is now live. Check back to this thread for latest patches notes as this post will be updates with the latest.

DECEMBER 22nd, 2016 - 0.2.10109.0. - XBOX ONE/WINDOWS 10 STORE

Fix deadlock causing freezes on many people's machines, especially those with dual core CPUs.

Fix 10 different crash issues affecting save reloads, multiplayer joins, and general gameplay.

Decrease performance impact of distant objects

Fix certain performance problems that appear after loading a save.

Optimize tether networks to significantly improve framerate performance.

Tethers now go dark when disconnected from their sources.

Fix invert Y for gamepad applying to cursor motion

Controls screen accessed from pause menu now correctly displays controller buttons when using controller.

Fix host's gamepad cursor becoming bugged when a client joins

Fix ability to pick yourself up while in a seat, and being unable to leave seat.

Fix bug where after loading a save, unplaced dropships would freak out.

Add ability to enter seat even when it's detached from a vehicle

Add ability to sit in a dropship while mounted on a vehicle

• 3 weeks later...

There's another big update coming to address framerate issues, especially on Xbox One. It's been totally smooth sailing for me on my laptop and PC, but there's no crossplay implemented yet so if I want to do co-op with my brother we have to play on the Xbox One.

I am absolutely loving this game, but I feel like the Fuel Condenser/Trade Platform combo needs to be nerfed a bit. It feels a bit cheap, I've been able to build a large base on the moon (Barren) and a large base on the closest planet (Exotic) really quickly thanks to just setting up shop with those two pieces of equipment and some solar panels/wind turbines.

It's pretty much the perfect podcast/netflix game for me at the moment.

1FDGhKn.png

“One of the best things about Astroneer is that it’s a game being built for a paid-alpha platform. We’re build a game made for the “early access” process: It’ll fail without player feedback,” Bromell told Gamingbolt.

“Microsoft has a great platform for this with their Game Preview program for Xbox One and Windows 10 store. It’s similar to Steam Early Access in many ways, which made it a very easy transition for us to go from being Steam exclusive to being available on both Steam and Xbox Game Preview. 

“Astroneer could end up on a Sony console at some point, but for now we can only work with platforms that support our development process and that means Early Access and Game Preview.”

Well at least you're fully aware that the game isn't finished, unlike a number of full releases in recent years ;) 

This is only the second 'Game Preview' title I've played, with the other being Elite Dangerous. Both have been worth every penny :) 

If only they would let you try titles in preview before you put down money ;) saying that I forked up for we happy few instantly and have never played it again since day one as I just wanted to support it and help fund the finished article as I liked the proposition and don't want to see it at every step en-route to a fully fledged title.

It's nice to have a choice and for evil corporation X to allow us to make up our own minds rather than make it for us (shhhh EA Access)

• 2 months later...

Paul Pepera, one the small team of developers on Astroneer passed away a few days back. He also worked in VFX and had a reputation as one of the most talented modellers in the industry. He'd recently worked with my girlfriend, she spoke to him only a few weeks ago. He died far too young.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone played this recently? 

It just got an update and I can't work out how to build a rover anymore. 

I've done the research and it says that the Rover is unlocked. I've built a vehicle bay, but it's only offering to let me build a seat. 

Any ideas? 

Edit: seems the bay needed more room. 

• 6 months later...

Talk about putting things into perspective. Well worth a watch even if you aren't interested in the game itself.

Still want to jump on this and will likely get it in the next Steam sale. Just a shame that Steam doesn't do 2 or 4-packs anymore. :angry:

• 3 months later...

That's a great doc @Nespresso, thanks for posting.

I downloaded this via gamepass the other night, along with Metro Exodus and Hollow Night. Tried them all, but Astroneer is the one that's holding my attention. I've gotten into it in a way that I thought No Man's Sky would grab me, but didn't. This one has though and I don't know why, but I am absolutely loving it. 

Haven't played it tonight unfortunately but that's because I've been watching reviews on YouTube all night. Desperately wanted to play but it was always a case of 'I will after this one', but look at the time now, far too late to start tonight. 

I finish work at 1.30 on a Friday though, so I'll put that right in around 12 hours. Great game.

Yup. Just fired this up last night via gamepass.  Finished the tutorial and am ready to start the main game.  The tether placement initially was quite annoying but I soon got into the rhythm of hitting left bumper to drop a tether I think as I ran along. It gives you enough leeway that a half second delay between becoming disconnected from your oxygen hose and reacting is fine so I wasn’t stopping and repositioning too often at all.  Looking forward to playing more tonight. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I started playing this on Saturday and I'm absolutely hooked. It was a bit slow going at first but now I'm rocking along. I've got the biggest spaceship. I can build shelters (Which really helps speed things up on a new planet). Some mechanics are a little obtuse until you figure them out. It was only late Sunday afternoon that I realised the oxygen tethers can transmit power if you bother to hook the oxygenator to your power :)

Now I'm onto the "harder" planets my research amounts are going up nicely so I can get more stuff unlocked.