rllmuk
MidWalian

Board games gone digital (yes, even android)

Thank you. 

I've just downloaded and started playing the Legends of Andor app. Finding it a nice puzzly distraction so far and a good addition to the board game. 

Fancied something a bit more substantial than the excellent Carcassonne so got Through the Ages at the weekend for the iPad. 

It has an excellent and fun tutorial with one of the best jokes in a game I have ever witnessed!

Lost my first real game by 1 point but had a big win in the next (the first challenge against easy ai).

Already thinking about my next game, the second challenge.

Its £9.99 which is pretty much the most I've paid for an app, but it's delivering so far.

Also looking for a recommendation for a new game I can play with the wife (and less often with the 13 and 10 year olds) We've had a ton of fun with Carcassonne & Ticket to Ride, both on iPad and the board game versions. Have been reluctant to show her Through the Ages as I think it's too much of an increase in complexity. Something fun and tactical, not too nerdy or complex. Co-op or versus.

Have heard about Pandemic, how difficult would that be to get into? 

I've really enjoyed pandemic since getting it as part of a bundle. But it gets more difficult with more players, and the UI is not great in my opinion. It takes a while to get used to the board and sussing out where trouble spots are, and at higher difficulties when the margins get tighter it is tricky to keep track of what is going on with card piles.

I tried the tutorial to Carcassonne (which I lost, twice) and am struggling to understand the appeal...

• Upvote 1

The Apps of Patchwork and Cottage Garden are pretty good, and they're nice games. A step up in complexity from Carcassonne, but only a little. They're versus, but don't have too much player interaction, which may or may not be to your tastes.

• Upvote 1

Carc is rather dull really although The City and The Castle standalone versions are good for two. Isle of Skye takes the tile laying genre up a notch with an auction mechanic. That's available digitally and is worth a look. We've enjoyed Kerala and Explorers of the North Sea which both do slightly different things with tiles. Kerala is a quick pattern building abstract game. Explorers is a fun game of placing tiles and heading out to grab the resources that appear.

• Upvote 3

Thanks all, going to check those and see what appeals. Watched a vid of Patchwork, I like the aesthetic and looks quite chilled out. After watching, followed a link to Agricola, that looks good too, probably a step up in difficulty though.

20 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Thanks all, going to check those and see what appeals. Watched a vid of Patchwork, I like the aesthetic and looks quite chilled out. After watching, followed a link to Agricola, that looks good too, probably a step up in difficulty though.

It is. However it's also the best game ever, which evens that out somewhat.

• Upvote 3

Raiders of the North Sea is now available on ios, android, steam and switch. Its a very good adaption of the board game and offers cross platform multiplayer and a decent challenge from the AI in single. Sadly it didn't get have a pass and play option for multiplay on the same device. 

• Upvote 2