IGNORED

Get Out

PK

On 4/24/2017 at 19:25, Wickedkitten said:
Spoiler

The bingo bit was a modern day slave auction. As far as Rose goes

This shit is deeper than the abyss with her, from the fact that she was named Rose (beautiful, but unless you look you don't see the thorns) to the fact that like everyone else at the slave auction, she was wearing black and red because she was in with it as well, all the way down to the fact that the bitch was eating her cereal separate from the milk whilst looking for her next victim. There is nothing in this movie that is superfluous all the way from Andre falling down and landing in the same position as Trayvon Martin at the beginning, through to Grandpa taking over the bodies of black men because he got beaten by Jesse Owens at the olympics, down to Chris saving himself by stuffing his ears with the one thing that slaves spent most of their lives picking, cotton.

Well spotted, never considered any of those points. The cereal thing was very weird.

Edited by Talvalin
Spoiler hidden

18 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:

The bingo bit was a modern day slave auction. As far as Rose goes

Reveal hidden contents

This shit is deeper than the abyss with her, from the fact that she was named Rose (beautiful, but unless you look you don't see the thorns) to the fact that like everyone else at the slave auction, she was wearing black and red because she was in with it as well, all the way down to the fact that the bitch was eating her cereal separate from the milk whilst looking for her next victim. There is nothing in this movie that is superfluous all the way from Andre falling down and landing in the same position as Trayvon Martin at the beginning, through to Grandpa taking over the bodies of black men because he got beaten by Jesse Owens at the olympics, down to Chris saving himself by stuffing his ears with the one thing that slaves spent most of their lives picking, cotton.

This post makes me really want to watch the film again. 

This was utterly fantastic and completely different to how I expected it would be. I must admit, before hearing and reading the reviews I was very much in the mindset that Capwn was. That it would be about a weird white family who bring black man into their home and then hunt/torturing presumes. 

What a wonderful surprise that it wasn't like that at all. It's very clever, funny, ridiculously tense, political and scary. It may not be scary in the traditionally sense but the situation, the people and the "sunken place" very much are.

Wickedkitten's post was excellent and brought up a lot of things I actually missed. How did everyone view the "sunken place"? My interpretation (sorry if this is obvious) was 

Spoiler

the sunken place was that it was how the director views black society today. The sunken place isn't just this terrible nightmare place made solely for the purpose of the film, its a metaphor for how black people are put in a box and unable to break out due to the control of rich white people. It's very clever and politically charged but without being completely on the nose.

I guessed what was going on before the reveal but I don't think it was really trying to trick the audience anyway. The movie isn't about a big twist or shocked factor its about the underlying political message, which it nails. Like Wickedkitten said "there is nothing in this movie that is superfluous" and there is so much hidden in plain sight throughout which is what makes it so clever.

5/5

Regarding the ending. Did anyone else fall into the trap my wife and I did?

Spoiler

When he's hunched over Rose and the cop siren sounds, did anyone else think it would be the cop from earlier and Chris would end up getting shot?

It would have been totally cheap and a typical horror ending, so I was really glad when it was Rod that turned up.

21 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Hide contents

When he's hunched over Rose and the cop siren sounds, did anyone else think it would be the cop from earlier and Chris would end up getting shot?

It would have been totally cheap and a typical horror ending, so I was really glad when it was Rod that turned up.

I think the majority of people would perhaps think that was going to happen and yeah I thought it would be a cheap way of ending the film. But yeah turned out for the best =)

Really expecting a prequel to this. I really want to know more about how this all started.

14 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Really expecting a prequel to this. I really want to know more about how this all started.

I really hope there isn't. So many good horrors get tarnished with prequels and they always have absolutely zero tension because you know the protaganist doesn't get away.

Just now, Stigweard said:

I really hope there isn't. So many good horrors get tarnished with prequels and they always have absolutely zero tension because you know the protaganist doesn't get away.

Yeah, I nearly added that maybe it was best to leave it as it was because usually they ruin the lore of it all. 

They don't have to follow a similar plot. They could turn the protagonist into the baddies?

I dunno. I just want to know how how they even figured out this brain transfer thing and the hypnotism stuff.

Even although this made a load of money, I reckon Peele is a bit of a serious "artist" type so will move on to his next project. He'll be confident he's going to have a lot of leverage after this being both a critical and commercial smash hit. I doubt he's going to do a Saw or Purge. Even although I do like the Purge series.

He was on the Movie Crypt podcast recently. Comes across as a bit of an odd bird; pleasant enough, but maybe over compensating a little by being very serious, possibly to offset perceptions due to his comedy roots? I dunno. 

Anyway, he said he's well into the genre and wants to make another mould breaking horror thriller that's political, but with a completely different subject.

And he may well do, but I doubt that'll stop him also doing a huge Disney franchise movie when they rock up to him a La James Gunn/Taika Waititi. 

5 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Hide contents

Wikipedia says that was the original ending and Peele changed it because the news at the time was all about police brutality on black people. Really glad he did because it still allows room to ruminate on what would have happened otherwise.

Thought the film was hugely entertaining, thoroughly recommended yet didn't quite do enough to feel like a classic. Very impressive debut though!

Maybe it was the audience I was with but it felt way more like a comedy with horror elements than vice-versa. I'd hate that people give it a miss because they don't like horror.

1 hour ago, Larsen B said:

Wikipedia says that was the original ending and Peele changed it because the news at the time was all about police brutality on black people. Really glad he did because it still allows room to ruminate on what would have happened otherwise.

Interesting. I thought he might have made that decision from the get go because of the police on black violence. I.e. he knows what we're all expecting at that moment, so deicided to trick everyone.

I agree though, I'm glad he went with the ending we got too.

I don't want to take this thread off the hype train as I'm glad horror, and cinema like this is being made, but I found it distinctly average all told. It has depth and a very good lead, with a couple of superb scenes but as a whole it just wasn't my bag. I got the underlying messages, and the craft that has been put into it, all in all however its just a bit bland and dull.

Definitely did and actually said aww shit, but as soon as they panned to the door and it said airport on it, I might have   quietly said woooo. Funny considering at the beginning of the movie, Chris was thinking Rose was sticking up for him and being an ally with the cop, when really she just didn't want the cop to know his name in case he came up missing because he would be linked to her

You need to be doing film analysis full time.

Watching this again and Kaluuya deserves an Oscar nomination. It's such a deeply emotive performance and he absolutely carries the film despite having very little actual dialogue. You can feel all the pain and guilt of his past, the awareness of being a fish out of water and then towards the end all the fear and physicality. He's so watchable. Ironically I thought his work in Sicario was pretty poor and had written him off prior to this.

1 hour ago, Professor Rob said:

Hide contents

Is it: How does he get the cotton in his ears when his wrists are bound?

Spoiler

I thought we saw him trying to bite the leather straps, so he could certainly reach that far down.

I assume he picked the cotton (amazing spot!) and got his head close enough to put it from his fingers into his ears.

2 hours ago, Professor Rob said:

Hide contents

Is it: How does he get the cotton in his ears when his wrists are bound?

That's it and I still think it's a clanger. It's not something to be over thought about but if I picked up on it then it's a plot hole and a half!

10 minutes ago, vezna said:

That's it and I still think it's a clanger. It's not something to be over thought about but if I picked up on it then it's a plot hole and a half!

Not really

I could see the point if his chest was also restrained, but he would have to be pretty inflexible to not be able to do it with just his wrists strapped down. 

1 minute ago, Wickedkitten said:

Not really

Hide contents

I could see the point if his chest was also restrained, but you would have to be pretty inflexible to not be able to do it with just your wrists strapped down.

I suppose it's not impossible but I'm not sure I'd be capable of doing it. Just seems a bit out of reach. It's not hugely important, but I'm surprised I noticed it as I saw the film after a few beers.