A1C27A3C-CBAF-490F-9843-03A76D2DD8AA.jpg

Hype:

The Last Guardian

COD:IW

The Surge

The Sexy Brutale

Gravity Rush 2

Grand Values: Monaco

Plus..., Pikmin 3DS, Yakuza 6, Super Mario Run, Birthdays The Beginning, and Deformers.

Features looks at PSVR, talks to Charlie Brooker,  and Pokémon, 

Reviews:

Forza Horizon 3 - 9

Virginia - 8

Destiny: The Rise of Iron - 7

ReCore - 6

The Tomorrow Children - 7

WOW: Legion - 7

Paper Mario: Color Splash - 7

Wheels of Aurelia - 5

Time Extend looks at Lumines. The Making of Ori and the Blind Forest.

Studio Profile visits Amplitude Studios.

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

In shops tomorrow, that's the subscriber only cover.

I'm still stuck with the digital sub but will can it as soon as it expires and go back to print.

The digital magazine has been awful since it was downgraded from a fancy, readable, interactive without being a mess, bespoke presentation to what is now no more than a PDF. It's so awkward to read that I mostly just don't bother anymore.

I haven't bought EDGE for years, so I can't remember if it's always been like this, but how long have they been reviewing games after they've launched? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to get their reviews out there pre-launch, so people can use it as a bit of a buying guide?

Even websites had to wait until after release to review Mafia 3 as one recent example.

Embargoes have become more prominent but other things have changed since Edge's early years too, such as Europe not having to wait months after the games come out in the U.S./Japan.

1 hour ago, DC07 said:

Even websites had to wait until after release to review Mafia 3 as one recent example.

Embargoes have become more prominent but other things have changed since Edge's early years too, such as Europe not having to wait months after the games come out in the U.S./Japan.

I can imagine day one patches and online servers not being switched on is a bit of a barrier as well.

18 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

9 for FH3 are they fucking mad, this is worse than goldeneyegate :o

Yeah, I was wondering what they'd marked it down on. Surely it's the best arcade racer there's ever been. I might pick up a copy to see what they don't like about it.

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

Is the Destiny score a misprint? I thought Edge loved its droll gamplay

It's not all that far off their average Destiny mark:

Destiny 	8
The Dark Below 	5 (too low!)
House of Wolves	9 (too high!)
The Taken King 	9 (just about right!)
Rise of Iron 	7

Dunno how hard to be on them until December-ish when I've rinsed all its content (Destiny never has any content), but it's probably not too far off. Edge 7s are always the best games, after all.

3 hours ago, Jon said:

Yeah, I was wondering what they'd marked it down on. Surely it's the best arcade racer there's ever been. I might pick up a copy to see what they don't like about it.

Which version of Forza Horizon 3 did they review? If it's the Xbox One version, that might be why, given it runs at 30fps and there's a better version already out on another platform.

55 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

What's going on with the months? I thought by this time of year we had the November issue in October etc. and then the Christmas issue in December. We seem to be a whole month ahead.

Hey, you want to try making 'em. Happy new year, everyone!

We shuffled our schedules around a bit in the first few months of 2016, which is why things are a bit out of whack. I've no idea how we can get back to where we should be now, either, without doing one month twice or inventing a new one. 

38 minutes ago, Halo said:

Which version of Forza Horizon 3 did they review? If it's the Xbox One version, that might be why, given it runs at 30fps and there's a better version already out on another platform.

I don't know, but platform power isn't a factor in their scoring though, is it?

Besides, it isn't really a better game on PC. Yeah, it might have better graphics and frame rate, but it's not like they've chopped anything from the structure of the game to fit it on the Xbox.

By your metric, should they be reassessing all those games that now run better on the One's BC than their original 360 outings and marking them up?

Anyway, I'm not really arsed. Scores are massively subjective anyway. I think it's easily the best racer I've ever played, so just wondered which ~10% of it they didn't like.

17 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yeah, it might have better graphics and frame rate...

Obviously a divisive opinion, but if I was given two copies of the exact same game, one of which ran at 30fps and one that ran at 60, I'd be quite comfortable saying that the one with the higher frame rate was objectively a better game.

It feels better to play at higher frames.

46 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Hey, you want to try making 'em. Happy new year, everyone!

We shuffled our schedules around a bit in the first few months of 2016, which is why things are a bit out of whack. I've no idea how we can get back to where we should be now, either, without doing one month twice or inventing a new one. 

I would pay all the money for a random made up month issue.  Just put destiny on the cover!