IGNORED

Thomas And The Great Race

feltmonkey

I can see how you've come to that conclusion, but I think you're putting too much emphasis on three factors: that both feature talking transport vehicles, that both involve a race, and the similarity of two characters' names - Ashima and Ishani.  In terms of plot, quality, and the general feel of the two films, they are poles apart.  The Great Race is a far superior piece of work to Disney's faux-Pixar attempt to cash in on the popularity of Cars.  In The Great Race, the race itself is peripheral, with maybe a couple of minutes of screentime devoted to the various events in total.  Planes' Ishani is a duplicitous character, whereas Ashima is unambiguously nice.

Also, why do so many people misuse that emoticon?  It's supposed to be used to angrily draw attention to a breach of the rules.  I don't see what rules I have broken by posting a review of a movie you think sounds a bit like Planes.  Is there a rule in the rllmuk charter - "don't review anything that seems a bit like Planes."  That would be an odd decree for the commitee to have made.  So odd in fact, that I'm quite confident that we do not in fact have any such rule.

Then why is it angry?  The name is not it's only characteristic.  Regardless of the name, it's someone pointing angrily at a list.  What is your interpretation of it, out of interest?

Edit - I guess the other interpretation of the emoticon could be a sort of "RTFM" or "read the thread" thing.  The use of it is so haphazard though.

50 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Then why is it angry?  The name is not it's only characteristic.  Regardless of the name, it's someone pointing angrily at a list.  What is your interpretation of it, out of interest?

Edit - I guess the other interpretation of the emoticon could be a sort of "RTFM" or "read the thread" thing.  The use of it is so haphazard though.

guilty! :hat:

That makes no sense whatsoever in this context.  :mellow:

Guilty of what?  What manual?  There's a manual on reviewing Thomas and Friends movies?  Or am I supposed to be reading my own thread?  

This is perplexing.  Could you try talking human for a bit please?

Saw it at the cinema, fairly enjoyable and my son seemed to be more engaged by it than The Good Dinosaur. On the downside we had to pay full price rather than the cinebabies price expected and amongst the trailers were 3 Fireman Sam safety videos which featured Naughty Norman's irritating shrieking blasted at full volume through the cinema's sound system. Overall - would watch again (on netflix this time though)

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

That makes no sense whatsoever in this context.  :mellow:

Guilty of what?  What manual?  There's a manual on reviewing Thomas and Friends movies?  Or am I supposed to be reading my own thread?  

This is perplexing.  Could you try talking human for a bit please?

I'm guilty of using it as a "a sort of "RTFM" or "read the thread" thing".

You know, in this world there are two types of people:The first are people who can extrapolate from incomplete data...

Apart from that being quite a funny review, you get a pos simply for sharing this, because I too am currently locked into the endless stream of Thomas related gumpf that my son loves to watch at the moment. This is very topical for me. I much preferred his Pixar phase, but Thomas is ok I guess and The Great Race is quite enjoyable.

The most surprising thing for me is the amount of non-official Thomas & Friends related content made by full grown adults with their toy collections. People also going so far as entirely (and rather poorly) remaking some of the Thomas films with their own toys.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

I'm guilty of using it as a "a sort of "RTFM" or "read the thread" thing".

You know, in this world there are two types of people:The first are people who can extrapolate from incomplete data...

Extrapolating from incomplete data is one thing, what you're asking me to do is divine meaning from complete non-sequitors!  What manual?  Why would you be angrily telling me to read my own thread?  Although the fact that you consider writing something and reading and understanding the same thing to be completely separate activities does give some insight into your posting style.  

Anyway, could you stop ruining the thread now please?  An incidental aside on the meaning of an emoticon has now generated a discussion which, although fascinating in some ways, is ultimately as pointless as arguing with one of those bots that automatically generates twitter posts.  Oh god, is that what I've been doing?  Sorry everyone!  I feel pretty silly now.  

Moving on...

@Sidewaysbob If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.  What would be wrong would be if you started creating your own erotic fan-art on the subject.  We must resist the urge to do that.

@Lujin Yes!  I saw it in the cinema too, and I had forgotten about those effing Fireman Sam videos!  They were absolutely terrible, and seemed to go on forever!  My son is not a Fireman Sam fan, and was excited to see Thomas, not F-Sam and that stupid child who keeps "accidentally" starting fires.  It was ridiculous.  They showed the BBFC classification for the Thomas movie, and I told my son the film was starting, much to his excitement.  The next thing that appeared on screen was, if memory serves, an advert for Nickelodeon. As the advert ended, I told him not to worry the film was starting now.  Then F-Sam appeared.  The first skit eventually ended, so surely the film was coming next?  Nope, more  F-ing-Sam.  As the third one started, I still remember the look of confusion and disappointment on my little boy's face as he asked me, "Where's Thomas?"

@Tempy Thanks for the compliment!  Hearing that my review was quite funny makes it all worth while.  How old is your kid?  I'd be interested to know if there's a ball-park figure for how long the Thomas phase lasts.  Mine seemed to have left Thomas behind somewhat and moved onto Pokemon in a fairly obsessive way, but he's now relapsed to Thomas, but taken with him a knowledge of what virtually all the first wave of Pokemon evolve into, and a habit of occasionally shouting "WOBBUFFET!" in public.  His Pixar period lasted barely a week, and he only liked the short films collections, which wasn't ideal.  I mean, that one with the rabbit and the magician is a work of genius, but there's some pretty crappy stuff on there.

Those toy remakes are quite a weird phenomenon, aren't they?  Have you seen those ones with Thom-moss the Prank Engine?  Those are the stuff of flashback-induced nightmares.  The guy who makes them has no ability to construct a story, so you just get a bunch of meaningless things happening, with no satisfying resolution.  I lied to my boy that they'd all been taken down off YouTube, and demonstrated this by searching for something else so they didn't show up.  Just a little tip for any parents stuck in a Thom-moss vortex.  Even weirder are the unboxing videos, or the ones where someone just holds up a load of their trains in succession.  Those things get millions and millions of views.

Look at this:

14 minutes long, and all he does is point the camera at trains and name them.  21 million views.  I just searched for the video, and as soon as it came up, my kid appeared next to me, as if drawn to it by some dark power, and is demanding that I stop writing so that he can watch it. 

We have a collection of about a billion Thomas trains. The kids don't even bother with Thomas any more. I could deal with the original Thomas shows, and some of the first films, but over time it has degenerated into a horribly simplified template with idiotic machines that make terrible decisions over and over again. I hate them now and want to punch their faces.

@feltmonkey Lol oh yes I'm afraid I'm well aware of Thom-moss the prank engine. As most of the Thomas content we watch is on YouTube, we stumbled across that little gem by accident when my boy noticed a minion in one of the thumbnail previews. "I want Thomas Minion Daddy" and now we've watched this particular one several times. Awful stuff. My boy is three at Christmas. I'm not sure how long this shit will continue, but would rather this than Pokemon. 

I'm perplexed as to why my son never entered this phase. I believe I have been very lucky in this respect. Currently we are watching many a scooby doo episode of old. I do however blame myself for the unusual obsession he holds in princess peach...