Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

4 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Well obviously in my opinion on games I am right and that's the same for everyone. 

What I find amazing is that every single time a hyped game comes out, the reviews are unanimous but the player feedback is generally mixed. 

Hype and money play a big part in this. 

There's no question. 

Absolutely agree, I'm part of the problem as I've totally got caught in the hype but I love these big game releases where everyone is playing together and getting into it. I tried to hold out and usually I'm pretty good at waiting but this and Forza Horizon 4 got me right in the hype zone.

1 minute ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Well obviously in my opinion on games I am right and that's the same for everyone. 

Yes of course but sooner or later you have to accept that your opinion might be out of sync with everyone else's, that doesn't make you wrong but likewise it doesn't mean the only reason is down to hype and money, just difference of opinion. 

Also, I don't need to point out the difference between playing the games intro, which is over 2 hours long, and completing the 60 hour long story, do I? 

11 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

What I find amazing is that every single time a hyped game comes out, the reviews are unanimous but the player feedback is generally mixed. 

There's no question. 

Sure. But what happens when you agree with a review? Money and hype don't play a part then? You can disagree all you want but you can't simply say that AAA reviews don't mattter at all because you simply don't agree with them. 

50 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Im not so sure.

Run on the left stick click? That would suck considering how often you have to do it.

wrse comes to worse can always use the accessibility options but then things start getting complicated 

you auto run tun in first person, no idea why that’s not the case for 3rd

I'm playing on the Elite controller on XBox so I'm thinking putting run on the left stick, turning on toggle to run and then mapping left stick to the left paddle will result in a more enjoyable sprinting experience. We'll see.

Only played about 45 minutes last night as I was so tired but I think the problem with it being so hand-holdy is that you get no time to mess around with the controls and get a feel for the aiming and weight and the convoluted mapping. I'm dying to just be given some time to mess around with the controls and get a feel for them. Setting the tutorial in an area where you're constantly wading through knee-deep snow maybe hasn't helped the slow/clumsy complaints either.

But basically all of Rockstar's games start quite slowly and poorly imo. This is definitely one I'll be reserving full judgement on for quite some time. Now, time to jump back in.

33 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Sure. But what happens when you agree with a review? Money and hype don't play a part then? You can disagree all you want but you can't simply say that AAA reviews don't mattter at all because you simply don't agree with them. 

I think it is possible to say that you feel AAA reviews are compromised becasue money/hype may have an impact.

It is then possible also to say that you like and dislike some of those games. It doesn't mean you don't think that the AAA reviews are compromised.

if all AAA game reviews are rated 90+ and you only think a proportion are deserving then you can say that you don't trust any of those types of reviews and you seek a wider range of opinions from peers etc.

13 minutes ago, sandman said:

A few B&M prices

£49.99 Sainsburys (first time I have EVER seen a standard game that high in price)

£49.99 Argos

£47.99 HMV (cheapest again!)

Loads of copies in my local Argos so I have reserved one to collect any time now - or do I wait for a few weeks after my holiday argghhhhh!

53 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

There's no question. 

I don’t recall many of those - especially Zelda - getting mixed opinions but for a small amount of negative ones. Like 9 to 1 positive, easy.

Even the negative stuff tends to be “it’s not my kind of game” rather than “it’s not any good”

How sweary / violent / sexy is the opening?  Not had a chance to play yet and the earliest I will is when my 11 year old son will still be up - happy enough to play it in front of him (and I am sure he'd want to watch) but don't want to be shifting awkwardly as it start spouting c-words left right and centre....

Not heard the C word and I’m 6 hours in

S and B words only a couple of times in the first 2 hours

One use of the D word so far :blink:

Quite violent, but you get choice to be violent or kind in most situations 

2 minutes ago, Ant73 said:

How sweary / violent / sexy is the opening?  Not had a chance to play yet and the earliest I will is when my 11 year old son will still be up - happy enough to play it in front of him (and I am sure he'd want to watch) but don't want to be shifting awkwardly as it start spouting c-words left right and centre....

Loads of ‘bastards’ and the odd ‘shit’. Nothing too bad. My 8 year old played through the opening for me this morning.

1 minute ago, Gorf said:

One use of the D word so far :blink:

Caught me off-guard too. I suppose it's a marginally more palatable alternative to the N word. I can imagine trying to remain accurate to the times while also conscious of the racial issues of those times proved difficult for the developers. 

31 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I don’t recall many of those - especially Zelda - getting mixed opinions but for a small amount of negative ones. Like 9 to 1 positive, easy.

Even the negative stuff tends to be “it’s not my kind of game” rather than “it’s not any good”

God of War got some absolutely ridiculous frothing hype from some outlets. I really enjoyed that game, but stuff like this was cringeworthy.

What if Zelda had an amazing, cinematic story?

What if Last of Us had incredible, skill based combat?

What if Uncharted somehow put all the violence in context?

What if Dark Souls was approachable and clear?

The answer to all of these questions and more is God of War.

Surprised he didn't manage to include comparisons to Tetris and Forza in there as well.

Well this is beautiful, and I like the pace so far. Played for a few very enjoyable hours earlier, though the controls are a bit shit. What do aim acceleration and dead zone mean? Maybe adjusting them will stop the shooting being so bad.

The setting, story, animation and design are enthralling though.

AAC04244-A513-4726-8C1B-A30AFB182912.thumb.jpeg.2c6cd3750d80b81d2842e33a1e799f3b.jpeg

D0E22DCE-01E4-4A64-B464-C0713F616CA9.thumb.jpeg.14578dcb292b468f5b9a25e20c0e2333.jpeg

65FBAB2A-A697-4AB0-BB5B-27378D2C10E0.thumb.jpeg.058c477faf6b841232cc07a51ff216e7.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

God of War got some absolutely ridiculous frothing hype from some outlets. I really enjoyed that game, but stuff like this was cringeworthy.

Surprised he didn't manage to include comparisons to Tetris and Forza in there as well.

Sadly the hype absolutely killed god of war for me, I didn't get it for a few weeks after release and everyone was going on about how incredible it was and then I get to playing it and whilst I could see it was a good game I just had no enthusiasm for it. I think that's part of the reason why I'm getting rdr2 so that I haven't got to listen to people about it for the next few weeks.

I think multiplayer games aside i'm getting to the point where I'm happy to buy games a year or 2 old at knock down prices and enjoy them in isolation from everyone else ^_^

In fact i'm actually playing kingoms of amalur right now and it's a really good game :)

Just now, JPL said:

I think it’s my inadvertent potty mouth that he’s desensitised to more than anything! The language in this is tame by comparison.

I hear you . My lad plays GTAV does not even flinch at the language.

Thinking about getting this for him. Does it run ok on a vanilla PS4. If it's the same as say the Witcher 3 then that's good enough.