rllmuk
Danster

Batman: Arkham VR

Well I thought we could do with a thread to discuss this as the chatter about it is getting lost in the main PSVR thread.

I've just finished my first run through of this after playing VR games all weekend and fucking hell! Is it immersive or what? I felt like I could reach out and touch Gotham, felt a bit unsteady when at heights! Just an amazing game, albeit shorter than I'd have liked.

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler

Did anyone else test their own blood? I did and so I kinda knew something was up, but I didn't expect to be stuck in the asylum at the end! And that was fucking freaky man, I was starting to get a bit claustrophobic as the walls closed in, very good effect.

Some of the sets were great, but I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to ride properly in the vehicles. Perhaps it would have been a bit much and they'd have had to ask you sit down which kinda breaks the immersion a bit.

Must go back to the batcave too as there were things there that I didn't really explore properly. What's the Riddler stuff all about?

Crazy!

• Upvote 1

I stopped at "reflections" act 3 scene 3, pure nope based on

the three doors all have the same number 423, I tested my blood already, at the second attempt. I accidentally contaminated the first attempt messing around with the vials and the hypo. Who wouldn't?

the

police scanner freq 425...

and the

and the

model of gotham, and the music box (I had something in my eye, ok?), and Alfred called me on the batphone.

the

Arkham knight Riddler artifacts in the casefile have to be rebuilt, which is cool.

I was trying a different view point on the

iceberg lounge, looking down on gothams street level, above and behind the penguin.

my son brushed past me, and I wobbled on the spot, as if trying to maintain my balance on such a small platform.

Apparently after you complete the game first time, you can re-do it with riddle puzzles?

Spoiler

It was just seeing the characters, especially the joker, up close. They were really there like no NPC ever before. Just incredible. 

and that bit with

killer croc and Robin III

the transition from that to the

lift down to Arkham

was a bit jarring

Nope.

soon as the other half goes for a shower I'll go back in, otherwise she'll use it to her advantage to fuck with me.

[edit]

I had issues finishing Arkham knight...

I ordered rush of blood... what was I thinking!?!

This is great, but few of the puzzles have taken me too long and ruined the immersion, but experiences may vary.

anyone else not thing total missed opportunity that didn't do the voice change thing that playroom has so you sound like the batman if you speak? I was convinced that would be the case.

1 hour ago, Hean Dog said:

This is great, but few of the puzzles have taken me too long and ruined the immersion, but experiences may vary.

anyone else not thing total missed opportunity that didn't do the voice change thing that playroom has so you sound like the batman if you speak? I was convinced that would be the case.

Batman's the World's Greatest Detective, so I loved the puzzles. Seems a natural VR 'genre' if that makes sense.

Would love a Goonies or Indiana Jones game where you solve puzzles to get that there treasure.

(Normally I'm all for something original. but at this stage of VR I think known 'worlds' people would get to visit would get more people buying the system.)

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Have you got past your nope yet Sean?

I opened the slidey door bits... then...

nope...

• Upvote 1

I played through it in one whole sitting last night.. only pausing to send the odd text!.. and to let my wife take a look at the alleyway scene. (she was suitably impressed).

Phenomenal experience, could have played through much quicker than I did but was just soaking the atmosphere up in each and every scene. The attention to detail and hidden little extras and references are what made it for me. Could mess around with the Batcomputer and Case files all day long. 

Looking forward to going through it all again for the

riddler clues

Highlight of an increasingly long list of VR revelations this weekend.

• Upvote 2

Haha, as a recognised coward I have to admit I slipped one headphone off a bit when it started getting dark in the third act. 

I'm all for immersion, but had to consciously say 'It's alright mate, you're just standing in your living room' at a couple of points. 

I hated that feeling. But I love that it could make me feel it. 

• Upvote 2

Re that video spoiler, it's pretty annoying that you can't punch/slap people in the game. Makes it feel like FMV at times and not an interactive experience. 

Can someone lend Sean a pair he can strap on? I want to see his reaction to the bit just after the slider door flaps.

• Upvote 3

This was really good, as every one said. 

Please don't read my spoiler unless you've already finished the game.

Spoiler

It must be set between Arkham City and Arkham Knight what with all the Joker virus stuff, so Robin and Nightwing must be fine right. 

Well here's hoping they get the chance to make a 'full length' version. Assuming they've got the desire to. 

I've only just finished this, but it's easily the most incredible gaming experience I've ever had, helps that I'm a massive batman fan but that was just glorious.

• Upvote 7

That game style just works so well for VR, I'm unashamedly a massive fan of law and order SVU and a crime scene investigator game could be sensational as well, either way Rocksteady are phenomenal developers and I'll be buying whatever they put out on VR next.

I've played the first ten minutes of this and then switched it off (no move controllers yet) because I really want (most of) my first run through to be as intended. Just incredible from what I have seen so far. I also put this on for my girlfriend after she tried the Ocean Descent Demo and she loved it (she went as far as to the Bat Cave, same as me), then spent the rest of the evening complaining about what even this level of quality VR means for future society and the youth of today. So that made it extra fun?

• Upvote 2

On 19 October 2016 at 21:55, Fury4k said:

This was really good, as every one said. 

Please don't read my spoiler unless you've already finished the game.

Hide contents

It must be set between Arkham City and Arkham Knight what with all the Joker virus stuff, so Robin and Nightwing must be fine right. 

Definitely.

Spoiler

Batman isn't as paranoid/overly protective of the Batkids in this as he is at the beginning of Arkham Knight and he hasn't upgraded his suit yet, either.

Other thoughts:

Spoiler

Loved it. The penguin bit was superb. I hope I wasn't the only one who knelt down on those vantage points? As has been said above, being able to punch Penguin, even just once at the end to knock him out would have been amazing.

I found the end really quite unsettling. Killer croc was scary as hell, but I really, really didn't want to get up close to the little windows on any of the Arkham cells.

And I absolutely loved just being able to stand around and watch things go by in Gotham.

Oh and hearing the nightwatchman walking around in the morgue was really disconcerting! At first it was just a few faint footsteps and I thought someone was in my house for a second.

• Upvote 1

Oh I just remembered. I found out while playing last night you can zoom in by pushing a button on the side of your mask. Genius. 

I thought it was just on the left trigger. I did it once while trying to flex my Batcep and connected it to pulling the left trigger rather than having my hand near the cowl.

Didn't use it again after that.

14702510_101539927280h5zm7.jpg

I enjoyed playing through the story a fair bit but going for the

Riddler

stuff completely elevated the experience.

Object manipulation, holding onto things between locations, looking up, over and around the environments, scanning the walls for clues; all of it was genuinely immersive. So much so that when I was on the roof of the

Iceberg Lounge

, it made me feel uneasy to look down despite having looked down with no problems the day before and being able to see my feet and the floor through the little gap.

And all of that feeling came from using little more than triggers on plastic wands with big balls at the end.

I'm not sold on VR as the definitive future of every game but if there's not a proper detective game in the style of Arkham VR at some point, the whole endeavour will be a failure.

• Upvote 3

The NPCs have amazing presence in this. I spent ages in the Batcave looking at the models, leaning in the detail is great and the solidity and sense of scale are awesome. Joker's a scrawny wee dick. VR definitely gives NPCs something extra, I hope more games make more of that effect. My wife had a shot on the bit at the start where Alfred turns up by the piano and she proper jumped out her skin when he arrived. The morgue bits make me want to play a Phoenix Wright VR.

• Upvote 2

One of the poses you can put Joker in at the holograms is sinister leaning towards you observing.

Peering round his head, looking at his rotten teeth all while his eyes track you is horrible.

Ridiculously "real" feeling and sense of actually looking around a physical presence.

• Upvote 3