rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
catinthehat

PlayStation VR: Tips & Tricks & Rock 'n' Roll

This is the place the post your tips, tricks and any other useful information on using PSVR, to help us all get the best out of this amazing piece of kit.

I'll try and keep this first post updated with useful information as I see it, but please feel free to badger me if there's something missing.

I stole at least 90% of this content from the main PSVR thread, so thanks to everybody for posting useful information in there. Also thanks to dumpster who posted the original tips topic. 

Hardware:

• PS4 Camera: You need a PS4 Camera as well as the PSVR headset for it to work.  Sony has released a redesigned camera, but the old rectangular model also works perfectly.  A PS3 camera will not work.
  • PS Move Controllers: Most games can be played very well using just a Dual Shock 4, some games are massively improved by using twin Move controllers (Arkham VR is a prime example), and a few games simply won't work without them (Job Simulator, for example).
  • PSVR Headset: Some headsets come with plastic lens covers which need to be removed before use. You should see a little tab to pull on to remove them if yours has them. Not all do and if you can't see them you probably don't have them. 

Software:

You can download a bunch of demos from the PSN Store.  Try them all, as they're mostly amazing, especially if the PSVR is your first experience of VR at home.

There's also a patch needed for the PSVR headset itself, but there doesn't seem to be any way to download that before connecting the headset to your PS4.

General Setup:

Camera placement: Ideally the camera should be positioned around head height when you're sitting, and slightly lower when you're standing.  The top of your TV is usually a good indicator for where to position it, but remember that you don't have to be facing your TV when you play. If the lighting in your room would work out better (lack of bright lights behind, etc.) if you're facing a different direction, then just move the camera to the best position possible.  It's well worth spending some time experimenting with the position to get the best possible performance out of your headset.  There are camera extension cables in existence, although they seem to be sold out everywhere at the moment.

Where to stand/sit. It will depend on the room you're in, but around 4 to 6 feet from the camera seems to be the sweet spot to avoid tracking issues. People have had success with longer distances, so the best recommendation is to experiment. 

Measure your eyes.  If you're not able to get a crisp and clear image through the headset, you may need to measure the distance between your eyes.  Go to: settings/devices/PlayStation VR/Measure eye to eye distance, and follow the instructions.  It's important to be pretty much exactly 70cm from the camera when you do this, to make the measurement accurate.

Remember to switch on on your Move controllers before starting your session. It can be a pain calibrating them with the headset on. 

Motion Sickness/Tiredness:

Take it easy to begin with.  Your brain and body are probably not used to this, especially if it's your first home VR system.

Take regular breaks, and remember to blink. If you're feeling tired when you finish a session, you're probably overdoing it.

Switch to motion controls if you're playing Drivclub with a DS4.  Using a steering wheel is the best way to beat the sickness, but even with a Dual Shock controller it helps massively if you switch the control method to "Motion tracking" from the options menu.  Seriously, don't even try it with the default DS4 control scheme unless you've got a bucket nearby.

Playing other content on your PSVR headset:

It's just like having your own personal IMAX!  You can play all kinds of content using the PSVR's Cinematic Mode, which essentially turns your headset into a massive screen attached to your face (because, you know, that's pretty much what it is).  The resolution isn't great, and there may be some lag if you're playing games from another console with an HDMI output, but it's fun to try.

Simply plug a different HDMI source into the "HDMI PS4" input on your processor unit (the mini-PS4-looking box that came with your headset), and see what you can see (see, see).

Random Tips & Tricks:

Don't play in the dark.  Although the headset, DS4 and Move controllers all glow beautifully, the PS4 camera needs some ambient light to work effectively.  If you're suffering from juddery controllers or headset tracking issues, it's well worth checking you have sufficient light for the camera.

Press and hold the Options button (Start on the Move controllers) at any time to re-centre the VR headset. Sometimes a game will centre on where you happen to be looking when it loads, so this can be really useful. 

The camera offers voice control, which can be very handy for barking orders to the PS4 and starting a game while you're putting on and adjusting the headset, particularly if you're playing without the TV on.  It's also easier than trying to move around the dash with the Move controllers.

The headset cable is pretty heavy, so try tucking a small amount through a belt loop or use some kind of clip to hold it in place.  Just enough to give a bit of slack so you don't feel the cable tugging at the headset all the time.

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, Simmy said:

Should the camera go above or below the TV?

Good one, and it actually depends on the game.  I'll add it.

Edit: Actually, it only really works below the TV for non-VR games.  I've certainly had most success with it on top of the TV.

Definitely on top, or at least close to your head height as possible. I'm assuming you're not one of those lunatics who mounts their TV 8ft up the wall.

What's the recommended distance from the camera to the headset? I've seem people recently recommending 4 feet as the sweet spot in order to avoid tracking issues, which seems quite close in a living room environment, particularly if you want to the use the social screen too?

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

What's the recommended distance from the camera to the headset? I've seem people recently recommending 4 feet as the sweet spot in order to avoid tracking issues, which seems quite close in a living room environment, particularly if you want to the use the social screen too?

I concur. 4 to 5 feet and standing to play just about everything made my left drift issue disappear. It wasn't a huge problem, just when I was sitting to play RIGS it crept in over 10 or 20 minutes. 

i sit in an office chair about 4ft from the camera in a cluttered home office room and have had zero tracking issues, as in headset jittering in and out. I don't have move controllers though.

I can even stand up and "play" alumette etc with no issue, just careful of location of bookcase and desks etc :)

18 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

When I switch off the PSVR how do I get the PS4 back to normal pass-thru?

Shouldn't have to do anything, it supports passive pass through.

12 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Shouldn't have to do anything, it supports passive pass through.

You have to have it plugged in, but you don't have to have the headset on.

35 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

When I switch off the PSVR how do I get the PS4 back to normal pass-thru?

I have the same low-res issue after switching off VR headset - make sure to shutdown the game. This will sort it.

catinthehat: I don't agree with camera placement - it's much better for me below the TV. Also don't agree with Driveclub controls - I've had no motion sickness issues with standard analogue controls!

11 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Remember to blink. Your eyes can get dry from concentrating for ages on the likes of Res and Thumper. 

Take regular breaks! Those standard videogame warnings should probably be followed now.

Don't try drinking tea. It won't work.

12 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

catinthehat: I don't agree with camera placement - it's much better for me below the TV. Also don't agree with Driveclub controls - I've had no motion sickness issues with standard analogue controls!

From everything I've read and my personal experiences you certainly seem to be the exception, but I'll update to reflect that we're not all alike!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

catinthehat: I don't agree with camera placement - it's much better for me below the TV.

I find tracking way worse with the camera significantly under head height and, if you're using move controllers in front of you (Tumble for instance), they get in your heasdets line of sight which makes for a stomach churning shift every time you stretch your arms out in front of you.

I also use normal dual shock controls in Driveclub and have had no problems. Not that I have in any games yet. 

44 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I find tracking way worse with the camera significantly under head height and, if you're using move controllers in front of you (Tumble for instance), they get in your heasdets line of sight which makes for a stomach churning shift every time you stretch your arms out in front of you.

I've certainly not had that issue. I'm working on the assumption that 4 ft is the best distance away so by having it on the same level as the TV I can achieve this easily. If it's on top of the TV its further away. I've had no issues with hands blocking my headtracking (I don't put my hands in the air! Wave them like you just don't care!) - the camera is angled upwards and can see everything fine.

Interesting though - probably more experimenting ahead.

I spit and rub in a circular motion in the same way I get my diving mask ready.

16 minutes ago, Sng said:

I spit and rub in a circular motion in the same way I get my diving mask ready.

what about the VR headset?

• Upvote 1