IGNORED

A great gaming track a day

Sureshot

32 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

Love Marble Zone. I'm conditioned to prefer the old PAL 50Hz versions of them though - this feels a bit too fast for me!

The original sonic on mega drive is my favourite sonic in the history of sonic the hedgehog. 

I had it on pal bitd. ... But I've played it so much over the years in 60hz. ... I have it in my current collection too 

We've had the Out Run name entry music, in my opinion the best name entry music ever composed, but we haven't had what I believe to be the best known name entry music for any game .... until now!

Tetris (GB) - Name Entry - Composer Hirokazu Tanaka

2 minutes ago, shiffy said:

We've had the Out Run name entry music, in my opinion the best name entry music ever composed, but we haven't had what I believe to be the best known name entry music for any game .... until now!

Tetris (GB) - Name Entry - Composer Hirokazu Tanaka

You've won today, possibly the whole week, and maybe, just maybe, the entire thread :)

Now, where's my Rocket and Dancers?!?!

What a week for gaming music we're having here, loving everything I'm hearing! I love the bass inspired stuff! More of that below ....

Revenge Of Shinobi (MD) - Make Me Dance - Composer Yuzo Koshiro (for the bassline!)

Over the last of year or so I've been following the work of a professional musician named Alex Moukala. Mostly he does commisioned work, but on the side his passion is reorchestrating music for videogames. The music mostly tend to be of the Squaresoft JRPG variety (FF, Kingdom Hearts, etc). But he also plays the bass and does short "funky remixes" of some of the FF stuff. It's well worth looking at his YT channel. He's been gaining a bit of recognition lately because of his funky "Mii Channel" music and his open invitation to musicians to jam along with his bass part.

Before I circle back to posting PC88/98 + X68K tracks I thought I might take this in a slightly different direction for a little while. There won't be too many of these as this genre of music isn't really used too often in video games. If you don't like then let me know and I'll revert to the chiptunes! First up is something I'm sure everyone has played (in gaming terms). The game version in the first video with the original source material in the spoiler.

Resident Evil (PS1 / Sat + countless other formats!) - Beethoven - Piano Sonata op.27 No.2 (Moonlight Sonata)

Spoiler

Here 's the full version in all of it's glory, all 3 movements. I've never been overly keen on the 2nd movement, it's not that interesting to play on the piano. This is being played on a Fortepiano owned by Beethoven so is probably the closest we'll ever hear how it sounded as Beethoven would have played it.

Gyruss (Arcade) - J.S Bach Toccata (from Toccata & Fugue BWV 565 in D Minor) - I guess the NES version could also count here.

Although this is obviously based on probably the most well known piece of organ music ever written, the arcade music is based off a version that was recorded by.....

Spoiler

"Sky" & John Williams (the guitarist, not the Star Wars composer!). So, there are two versions here ... the version recorded by Sky, and the original organ version.

Here's the original in all it's glory.