A great gaming track a day

I couldn't bring mself to post the "Wii Music" version of this, so here's a nice cheery version for your enjoyment!

Dead Space (Xbox360 / PS3) - Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Composer Unknown**

Spoiler

Contrary to popular belief among some folk, Mozart never composed "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" as a child. However, he composed a set of variations based on the original tune as an adult.

Mozart - Twelve Variations on "Ah, vous dirais-je, Maman" K265

Sexy Parodius (Sat / PS1) - Capsule Monster Cappuccino - Arranger Mayuko Kageshita (I could post so much music from this gem of a shmup!)

Spoiler

Easily recognized as "Rondo Alla Turca", the third movement from Mozart's Piano Sonata in A Major K331. Should start at the Turkish March.

Also linked is a very recent performance (March 2021) by Yuja Wang, one of the world's best pianists. This is her take on Arcadi Volodos' arrangement .... something most of us pianists can only hope to play, she makes it look so easy.

If we're doing "classical" – GTA3 had an entire radio station of Opera!

Quite honestly, it helped build an appreciation for Opera I didn't have until then, with the obvious exception of Nessun Dorma (thanks Italia 90). I've been to the Opera on several occasions, and I think GTA3 gave me that push to embrace it. 

@pastry I won't be continuing with the classical theme for too much longer as I know it's not to everyone's taste. I'll go back to chiptunes soon ... I promise! It was an idea I had a few weeks ago after playing Sexy Parodius. Most of the music of that game is classical music, although I liken it more to a modern take on those old "Hooked On Classics" albums. I am mostly a classical musician these days so I thought the idea of gaming renditions of classical music might be interesting to some folk, especially as OST's to modern games are so heavily influenced by classical music without actually "quoting"  classical music itself. As an example, the earlier Final Fantasy games has a lot of music that is, to a musician, heavily influenced by J.S Bach. Because it only sounds like Bach & isn't a direct copy of Bach's music I can't use it here in this context!

In a way, I find it funny that you've posted an operatic piece from GTA3, I've never really been into opera!! Could never get into it, don't know why as I'm fine with just about every other genre in the classical realm.

Anyway, my offering for today.  A gaming track that only uses a tiny snippet of an orchestral piece, a track that I doubt many people have connected musically to something classical. It also gives me an excuse to post something from Super Metroid!

Super Metroid (SNES) - Spore Spawn / Botwoon Boss Theme - Composers Kenji Yamamoto & Minako Hamano

Spoiler

Stravinsky - Firebird Suite (Finale)

I believe that this Metroid track is based on a four bar motif that you hear at the 19:23 mark (and for those can read music you can see it in the score too. I'm sure I've read in the past that Super Metroid's composers are influenced by the works of Stravinsky & Shostakovich, but in typical fashion I can't find anything that says this at the moment!

Here's another that comes to mind, this is pretty much Anitra's Dance by Grieg. I played the SMS version of Captain Silver a fair bit when I was in primary school, and found it incredibly difficult!

@shiffy A trip to the Opera is well worth a go, some of them are surprisingly funny too!

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (PS Vita / PC) - For Serious - Composer / Arranger Mutsumi Ishimura

Spoiler

Vivaldi - Violin Concerto Op.8 No.4 (RV297) / Winter From "The Four Seasons"

I could do a few more from games like Eternal Sonata, Asura's Wrath, as well a few more from Sexy Parodius. However, I'm going to make this the final classically themed game music posts .Two videos for the price of one as the two gaming pieces are from the same work. I'm going to finish the classics how I started ....

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (PS Vita / PC) - Floral Freedom - Composer / Arranger Mutsumi Ishimura (First movement from - see spoiler)

Earthworm Jim (Megadrive) - See Jim Run, Run Jim Run - Arranged Tommy Tallarico (Third movement from ... see spoiler)

Spoiler

Beethoven - Sonata op.27 no.2 C# Minor (Moonlight Sonata) - Resident Evil isn't the only game to use this!  I'm not aware of any gaming renditions of the second movement, which backs up my theory that nobody really likes it. It's just boring to play (at least for me it is!).

The piece is performed on a replica instrument that would have been played around at Beethoven's time. These "fortepiano's" are very different to the modern pianoforte we play now. The lack of pedals is the most obvious difference with the sustain being operated by a knee lever that is pushed upwards. The sound on a fortepiano is nowhere near as refined as a modern grand piano. This performance is probably the best I've seen recently, the third movement is pretty special.

Right, back to chiptunes!

Recalling a couple of comments from a few weeks back .... this is for all you bass lovers out there!

Rall III Kakusei-Hen(PC98) - Winning Expectation - Composer Ryu Umemoto

Princess Maker 2 (PC98 / FM Towns) - Martial Arts Bout - Masahiro Kajihara

(Includes a nice little bass riff that I'm sure the likes of Larry Graham, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Mohini Dey .... etc, would be happy to put their name to!)

Dynamoid (C64) - Composer Thomas Detert

I don't know the title of this track. Found out about this game recently through the Youtube channel "Old Style Gaming", this game was one of his hidden gems. Not a bad little title at all, very playable.

Valis II (X68000) - Sacred Sacrific - Composers Tenpei Sato, Shinobu Ogawa & Masahiro Kajihara

Spoiler

PC-Engine CD arrangement as a bonus!