A great gaming track a day

I love the Ikaruga score, especially stage 2. There's something about the military snare drum and the slight dissonance in the strings that really make this track, are the strings playing in parallel fifths at various points? I can't quite tell. (Goes completely against what I was taught in terms of harmony, probably why I like it!) I may have to study this track in more depth at some point.

Ikaruga (DC / GC + others) - Chapter 2 Trial - Composer Hiroshi Luchi

Just been watching @Dudley's video about new games for the Master System (SMS Power '21 Coding Competition). After hearing something on that video I've decided to resurrect the "classical music in video games" topic for one post. I know the game doesn't really count as retro, but the music does and I've always liked this.

Mussorgsky  - "Promenade" from Pictures At An Exhibition (Composer's original piano version & Ravel's orchestrated version in the spoiler)

Spoiler

To counteract the classical, something that is genuinly game music.

MIG Busters (Spectrum) - Title Music - Composers Sonic Graffiti and Andy Severn

Bio miracle famicom. 

Over world theme x

Despite owning it on famicom disk system way back.... I never finished it.... Think I got to about world 7.

If you have a famicom and a everdrive.... Give it a shot.... Iirc it was in the wii store too back in the day. 

I never played this until I bought a PC Engine Mini last year and it is absolutely class. I'm finding that discovering 'new' retro games is far more exciting that keeping up with the latest generation of consoles at this moment.

The Eurojank thread reminded me f how good this was for music.

This track is great. Slow and unusual for the time.

EDIT: Just noticed the first comment is by the guy that wrote them.

• 2 weeks later...

Crimson II (PC88) - Chapter of Marlon the Wizard: Field - Composers Ryuji Sasai, Chihiro Fujioka, Shigekazu Kamaki, Yumi Kinoshita

Spoiler

As a side note (and for those old enough to remember this 80's cartoon favourite) Ryuji Sasai was one of the composers for "The Mysterious Cities Of Gold"