IGNORED

Noclip - Videogame Documentaries

Nespresso

• 1 month later...

Trying to blag glory kills were something useful taken from Doom 4 when it was a brutal doom mode kinda stinks. Shame he couldn't get Carmack involved but with the lawsuit i suppose that is inevitable. Good watch, it just lacked any bite and felt a bit sycophantic.

Carmack would have ruined Doom 4, he's always been a programmer not a designer. I know you meant in the documentary but its still worth saying..Doom 4 is great because of the fresh take on it. Not watched this yet, looking forward to it.

13 hours ago, angel said:

Carmack would have ruined Doom 4, he's always been a programmer not a designer. I know you meant in the documentary but its still worth saying..Doom 4 is great because of the fresh take on it. Not watched this yet, looking forward to it.

When you watch it you'll realise your mistake in calling the recent one Doom 4.

The actual Doom 4 from the documentary looked terrible. It looked nothing like a Doom game to me.

Second episode's up, covering the first 5 minutes of the game in an interesting level of detail.

Also, if you want to listen to the same guys talk in a bit more detail about the development they were on a Quakecon panel this year:

I've watched the first two episodes now. I couldn't get through much of the Rocket League one but though these were great.

I'd agree with @daveodeth that they do feel like they lack bite (the first episode has them all close ranks at one point and say how wonderful Doom 4 1.0 was) but you have to judge it in the current context of games media, where critics are seen as a nuisance, "influencers" on Twitch who are really nothing but shills are getting preferential treatment, etc. Then you have to remember that these guys work for Bethesda, who are at the forefront of all of that.

This feels like a breath of fresh air. I don't think there's anything out there like it at the moment and hopefully it will improve. I suppose  there's an aspect of not wanting to scare other developers off, either. I can't imagine we'll be seeing many post mortems on games that went horribly wrong. 

And Hugo Martin is fantastic. An interviewer's dream come true. He's not overtly worried about getting in trouble or saying something that will offend someone else's previous vision of the game. The first episode is really quite dull in comparison. Listening to the art guy talk is like watching paint dry. 

If if you've played Doom, you need to watch the second episode of this. 

Would love to see one for Titanfall 2. You know Zampella will not hold back much. 

On 12 December 2016 at 23:40, angel said:

Carmack was a designer, he was putting out his own games successfully from a young age, was involved in the design of Softdisk & early id games.  He was also the GM for id's sprawling D&D campaign which last years.  This idea that he's simply a tech guy and not 'creative' doesn't hold up, for me.  Similarly there's the idea the Romero was all ideas and needed Carmack's tech, again he was selling his own games from a young age, was very technically proficient - he could code games which utilised the double hires mode on the Apple II which got him a job with Origin.  In fact the reason Carmack joined Softdisk was because he finally met someone, in Romero, he could learn from.  Of course working with others means not having to do everything yourself and so they focused on their strengths/interests - with Carmack becoming the engine guy and Romero the gameplay code/design guy.  Additionally Carmack had been pretty hands off their projects for a long time before leaving, focussing purely on the engine tech side of things.

Also, this series is great.  I'm glad we live in an age with more of these deep dives, I used to love reading the post-mortems in Game Developer magazine, where people would be honest about things that went wrong - probably cause the audience was pretty limited to game devs.  It's also interesting seeing there were two main versions of D4, hearing the rumours and stories from friends who have passed through id over the years the game got rebooted 4 or 5 times.

Have to agree to disagree, Carmack designs in the way that he likes things neat and controlled - perfect for coding, not so for game design. Doom 3 was beautiful, and utterly restricted in how it played, as Carmack had asserted his creative control with Romero gone. Doom 4 is better for him not being around.

Watched the doc, well worth an hour of anyones time. The music guy (and music) is great.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...