Super Mario Bros Amstrad port

I love it. Hope they keep going and get a playable game working. 

I don't know much about this kind of thing but is it a case of getting the game engine running and then basically dropping in level files, or would every single bit of content have to be placed manually?

I sometimes get excited about writing C64 versions of games which are eminently doable these days. Mario was one. The things they had to do that working back in the day were incredible. Level one takes about 40 bytes in total. Then I see 50GB patches for the latest PS4 game and see how far we've come...

On topic; why that remake is so gray I don't know,  the Amstrad palette is as colourful as you can get. Sega like blue skies beckon.

Horizontal resolution, I imagine. From memory so I could be wrong about the details, but ballpark figures would be something like mode 0, 160x200, 16 colours; mode 1, 320x200, 4 colours; mode 2, 640x200, 2 colours.

Someone look it up and correct me please, I'm on my phone and it's past my bedtime :D

On 06/11/2016 at 01:20, beenabadbunny said:

Horizontal resolution, I imagine. From memory so I could be wrong about the details, but ballpark figures would be something like mode 0, 160x200, 16 colours; mode 1, 320x200, 4 colours; mode 2, 640x200, 2 colours.

Someone look it up and correct me please, I'm on my phone and it's past my bedtime :D

I'd sacrifice the resolution for colour. Some people did C64 mocks of Mario and they looked pretty good in multi colour mode which is similar to the Amstrad one.

http://nabaroo.com/rockasoo/Super-Mario-Bros.-C64-Demake

Given the NES is 256x240, Mode 1 does give the greatest freedom for a pixel perfect rendition without sacrificing horizontal screen space. I'd move away from grayscale at least though. Some artists did wonderful work with Mode 0 so it'd be possible to get a cracking looking conversion in that - worth a try at least, like the R-Type remake:

• 8 months later...

I've since learnt that it was more to show the capabilities of the engine than recreate an accurate representation of Mario (I was blinded by dat scrolling). It seems like he has no plans to make a Mario game himself, but he's going to release the engine so someone else could if they wanted to.

The original project this thread was about is more genuine with movement, but progress is slow. The last update was in December.

1 hour ago, robotattack said:

I've since learnt that it was more to show the capabilities of the engine than recreate an accurate representation of Mario

Well it *is* bloody brilliant as an engine. He just chose the wrong game to show it off with :)