IGNORED

Sonic The Hedgehog (Live Action) Nov 2019

NEG

Just now, Down by Law said:

Yeah that's the best line. His dancing...LOL it's gonna be worth it just for his performance

He looks like he's having loads of fun hamming it up Liar Liar style.  I'm actually tentatively looking forward to this now!

I’m surprised they redesigned Sonic for the entire film, just as much as i’m surprised they didn’t spot how horrific the original one was. So...it was all as intended right? :huh: Gauge how much people apparently care? Drum up attention, reflect better on the rest of the film? Sega would never allow a design so awful and unlike Sonic.

I’m interested in seeing some of the action sequences but it’s not really for us, it’s for kids who find Logan Paul and PewDiePie funny. I don’t expect to be entertained by Sonic’s quips.  

6 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I’m surprised they redesigned Sonic for the entire film, just as much as i’m surprised they didn’t spot how horrific the original one was. So...it was all as intended right? :huh: Gauge how much people apparently care? Drum up attention, reflect better on the rest of the film? Sega would never allow a design so awful and unlike Sonic.

I’m interested in seeing some of the action sequences but it’s not really for us, it’s for kids who find Logan Paul and PewDiePie funny. I don’t expect to be entertained by Sonic’s quips.  

That would be a pretty stupid marketing act because there's a real risk of damaging the brand long term. Not something Sega want to do, they make a great deal of revenue from it and were already said to be really unhappy behind the scenes. They didn't have a say, movie studio rolled over them.

13 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Imagine the possibilities:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy & Knuckles
Prometheus & Knuckles

Pride and Prejudice and Knuckles. 

Everything about the trailer screams Detective Pikachu to me, and that was an enjoyable romp. Unfortunately the trailer didn’t really have any funny lines and the story seems to be taking itself too seriously. 

19 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Like HOW did that original design ever get approved? :lol:

i have a theory. You know how in every school there was that one person who just does not conform to social norms, they were the kid who when asked about their favourite music at school they named a classical composer, they were the one who never got the jokes of the peer group but would laugh out loud at a random event that noone else saw as funny, they had no cultural frame of reference and common ground with you, but academically they were great.

That kid turned turned out to be the lead designer on this project. He has no idea who Sonic the Hedgehog is, he didnt have a tv growing up. Videogames? what are they? Game night was the family sat in the drawing room for a rivetting game of Rummikub or making topical palindromes from newspaper headlines.

Then there is the faker, this person has seemingly bullshitted their way through life and survived their way into a position far in excess of their talent and skills like some sort of corporate Mr Magoo, blindly stumbling up the corporate ladder, how they got there is a mystery becasue anyone with a clue can see this person is inept.  This person was in charge of reviewing the progress of the movie. They have heard that comic book characters are big movie bucks recently, but they wouldn't know, they just work in the film industry, they don't actually go to the cinema or watch films, cant stand them (possibly related to Michael Owen).

So these two somehow get on the project together. The designer having never heard of Sonic or ever been exposed to the character, they just know that the character is a blue anthropomorphised hedgehog, he was sold because someone used the word anthropomorphised in the meeting and he fondly remembered the time he almost got that into a game of scrabble, and the project manager just signs it off and bullies it through the meetings using professional sounding buzzwords, the longer he stays in there the more chance of him getting discovered as a fraud so he gets through this by sounding angry.

On 12/11/2019 at 20:21, Alex W. said:

Tyson Hesse, who was lead designer for the intro for Sonic Mania amongst many other Sonic things, has revealed that he led the redesign process.

The thing I love about the way this was announced is that the image he posted to confirm his involvement...

...is almost identical to one he posted in March, when the design had leaked on posters but the first trailer hadn't come out yet: