rllmuk
NEG

Sonic The Hedgehog (Live Action) Nov 2019

Yeah apparently highest grossing videogame to movie adaptation so far ( for 4 day gross at least). 

Overtook detective pikachu which I was surprised didnt do better in the long run with its box office.

Yeah, I’ll agree with the above. It was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. Carey was a delight, sonic was just fun to watch fly around the screen and there were some funny parts throughout . Loads of Easter eggs too. 

7/10 chaos emeralds 

On 14/02/2020 at 15:55, Lothar Hex said:

Dumb thing that is a spoiler:

Hide contents

Doesn’t really give must justification for Sonic being on Earth apart from“An Owl told him he had to because vague yet tangible danger.” We never really get much.

I hope it was Steve Owl:

04.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well it was incredible marketing, I think someone made the new coke comparison earlier in the thread.
But like new coke I don't think they meant it.

Wonder if Illumination are tempted to make a badly designed Mario now. Perhaps Mario has a goatee instead of mustache and a baseball cap before going back and 'fixing' it. 

On 17/02/2020 at 07:23, RubberJohnny said:

Becoming the highest grossing game movie ever is somehow the funniest way for this to end, who on earth guessed that?

Who on earth would have guessed we'd be living in a world where the Sonic the Hedgehog movie is far superior to a Star Wars movie, let alone the final entry in the Skywalker saga?

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

49 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Who on earth would have guessed we'd be living in a world where the Sonic the Hedgehog movie is far superior to a Star Wars movie, let alone the final entry in the Skywalker saga?

To be fair, that bar has been pretty low ever since the first prequel released, so it's not that crazy.

• Upvote 1

It's not terrible! It's not great but.... not terrible. I thought Jim Carrey was terrible until the very end. All the characters were terrible apart from the mad old guy who isn't in it much. My conclusion.... not terrible.

There will be a sequel.

Are young kids actually seeking to see this with little knowledge of Sonic's history? or is it mostly parents being like "Look, lets go see Sonic this weekend. Then we don't have to go and watch that Peter F******g Rabbit 2. At least with Sonic it's a character I grew up with and understand"

or something?

Apparently kids are going to see it.

I think that every millennial Youtuber for kids playing Sonic Adventure or 06 on their channel has probably done more to keep the franchise going than anything by Sonic Team at this point.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

Are young kids actually seeking to see this with little knowledge of Sonic's history? or is it mostly parents being like "Look, lets go see Sonic this weekend. Then we don't have to go and watch that Peter F******g Rabbit 2. At least with Sonic it's a character I grew up with and understand"

or something?

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Apparently kids are going to see it.

I think that every millennial Youtuber for kids playing Sonic Adventure or 06 on their channel has probably done more to keep the franchise going than anything by Sonic Team at this point.

Sonic is still absolutely huge with kids. They have done a really good job of keeping him popular.

Yeah, my little boy loves sonic... he's barely played any of the more recent games though. I couldn't do that to him.

He's played Sonic 1,2, and 3 though, and could not wait to see this.

He's the one who told me about the scene after the credits. I didn't believe him, and thought he was winding me up. Should have seen my face when it happened.

I said it earlier, but it turned out a lot better than i expected. The little nods and easter egg's really elevated it for me. I was never a hardcore sonic fan, but really enjoyed 1,2 and 3, and loved Sonic Adventure, so i enjoyed any of the scenes with Sonic in. 

I've got a lot of love for Jim Carrey's older goofier films too (Ace Ventura, Mask), so enjoyed his visual comedy - his dance scene was an exceptional treat for me.

Really enjoyable, this was! Though it very much feels sandwiched between a superior, hypothetical prequel and sequel. ;)

8 hours ago, Capwn said:

or something?

my boy has been banging on about it non stop for a week. They’ve bombarded kids TV with trailers and all his mates are talking about it at school.

So yeah. We’re going tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

On 18/02/2020 at 16:52, neoELITE said:

There will be a sequel.

Hope the whole thing is done in split screen.

• Upvote 5

I saw this yesterday. It actually was somewhat enjoyable but that definitely was down to the fact it was Sonic.

Started off well, sags quite in a bit in the middle but ends well. I loved spotting the easter eggs and Sonic was actually a pretty fun character, voiced pretty well too.

Jim Carrey was actually barely in it, maybe like an overall 10-15 minutes of screen time?

I hope a sequel clears a few things up though.

What Easter Eggs did people see?

"Badnicks" written on locker door.

"Sanic the hedgehog picture from Crazy Carl

Green hill music nearthe end of the film.

Also, a bunch of stuff i don't think particularly think fits the Sonic character or even made sense but yeah, it's a kids film so probably looking too much into it.

Sonic can't run straight up a building? Pretty sure he literally does that early in the film.

Calling the town Green Hills seemed a bit weird, especially with them repeating the word "Green Hills" several times in a row. We get it, it's a from the game.

Why didn't the "Donut Lord" just tell the truth to Robotnik and say he found the hedgehog quille? 

Since when has Sonic been able to go "Quicksilver" and slow down time etc.

2 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

I saw this yesterday. It actually was somewhat enjoyable but that definitely was down to the fact it was Sonic.

Started off well, sags quite in a bit in the middle but ends well. I loved spotting the easter eggs and Sonic was actually a pretty fun character, voiced pretty well too.

Jim Carrey was actually barely in it, maybe like an overall 10-15 minutes of screen time?

I hope a sequel clears a few things up though.

What Easter Eggs did people see?

"Badnicks" written on locker door.

"Sanic the hedgehog picture from Crazy Carl

Green hill music nearthe end of the film.

Also, a bunch of stuff i don't think particularly think fits the Sonic character or even made sense but yeah, it's a kids film so probably looking too much into it.

Reveal hidden contents

Sonic can't run straight up a building? Pretty sure he literally does that early in the film.

Calling the town Green Hills seemed a bit weird, especially with them repeating the word "Green Hills" several times in a row. We get it, it's a from the game.

Why didn't the "Donut Lord" just tell the truth to Robotnik and say he found the hedgehog quille? 

Since when has Sonic been able to go "Quicksilver" and slow down time etc.

I quite enjoyed the 

Spoiler

slow motion parts. It just shows that he was so quick that he could do all that in the same time it took all the other people to move/react.

I think its a good way to show sonics speedy ability, without it all being a blue blur flying all over the screen.

I really liked this - it’s light weight fun, but it’s fun.

James Marsden :wub: and the voice of sonic carry it 

Surprised how comparatively little Carrey was in it - and even how he was mostly toned

Glad they fixed Sonic's visual design but couldn't they have done the same for his equally hideous characterisation? As befits a cartoony 90s mascot with "attitude" he's making shit no-effort quips literally non-stop whenever he's on screen. Silly words! Wacky dancing! Lame pop culture references! Characters startling each other and both screaming! "That was awesome!" Then suddenly he flips to sad-eyes woobie and we're meant to feel bad for him, not because he's being chased by Robotnik - none of the characters seem to care overly much about that - but because he hasn't lived life to the fullest?? What? Robotnik was slightly more bearable only because he was on screen less. 1/10, no redeeming qualities.

• Downvote 3

This was an excellent no-brainer kids movie. 

It was full of plot holes. But all the best kids movies are. So I’d ignore all the adults out there saying things like “why can’t he do x/y/z when he does it in other parts of the movie”. 

Like, ffs, Its for children. 

I honestly hope they do a sequel, because...

Spoiler

I need to see him get the chaos emeralds and go super sonic...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

Is the mushroom planet a Mario diss?

That what I wondered. However there is a Mushroom Hill Zone in the games so I expect it's supposed to be that.

It was a clearly a Mario diss. Sonic keeps going on about how much it'd suck just having mushrooms for friends.