IGNORED

Sonic The Hedgehog (Live Action) Nov 2019

NEG

This has now made $145.8m at the US box office, surpassing Detective Pikachu's $144.1m.

But its international figures are still some way behind: Sonic's made $153.8m internationally, compared to Detective Pikachu's $288.9m - partly because it had no Chinese release.

But as Scott Mendelson points out, it's still not as high as the inflation-adjusted US figures for Mortal Kombat, Pokémon: The First Movie and Lara Croft: Tomb Raider:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/03/14/sonic-biggest-video-game-movie-jim-carrey-pokemon-ryan-reynolds-tomb-raider-angelina-jolie-warcraft-box-office/#5e5db7a84f5c

Things this film was:

An advert for Olive Garden

An advert for Zillow

An advert for Amazon

An advert for Fitbit

An advert for Olive Garden again

An advert for It's own sequel

What this film wasn't:

Good

Funny

A Sonic film. You could have replaced Sonic with anything.

Just charmless overall, I wouldn't want my kids to watch it particularly. 

On 17/02/2020 at 14:32, Capwn said:

Wonder if Illumination are tempted to make a badly designed Mario now. Perhaps Mario has a goatee instead of mustache and a baseball cap before going back and 'fixing' it. 

photo-5827.jpg

Tackled this one during a hangover recovery and found the pacing, motifs and colours to be comforting to my addled brain. Though not on a Pixar level. 

They had a decent stab at rationalising the silliness that is the character and the world, and actually gave Sonic some character beyond being a 90s mascot with attitude. It's not amazing or anything. But it's alright. And a fine advert for all the previously mentioned products and services.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought the first movie was fine. Not anything amazing and not a total trainwreck. Just fine. (And forget the "but it's for kids" excuse, because that never affected Pixar. :P)

Keen to see where they take the sequel.

On 11/08/2021 at 11:45, Alex W. said:

In this age of cross-media synergy I wonder if you’ll be able to view a version of the first movie with Knuckles edited in to it, if you own both the first movie and Sonic 2 & Knuckles.

this would be an amazing post credits scene. 

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

I sincerely hope this isn't the start of some kind of Sonic Extended Universe featuring all his horrible furry friends.

I wouldn't expect so, but Tales and Knuckles are pretty iconic and synonymous with Sonic.

Although I could see a 3rd with Shadow <_<

As someone who surprisingly loved the first movie that ticks all the boxes for me and can’t wait to see it.

Oh yeah, my Sonic obsessed 4 year old lost his mind when I showed him the trailer too so that’s going to be a special cinema trip when it comes around.

Good trailer, seems like a much more confident production than the first movie. 

Robotnik's henchman being a barista after his latte making exploits in the first is pretty good. Mean Bean coffee !

Also the nods to Sonic Adventure - the water exploding out the sewers taken right from the intro

On 17/02/2020 at 14:32, Capwn said:

Wonder if Illumination are tempted to make a badly designed Mario now. Perhaps Mario has a goatee instead of mustache and a baseball cap before going back and 'fixing' it. 

i really want to see the abomination version of Tails and Knuckles now