IGNORED

The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

Just FYI for anyone who spent all their points on daft things like character models you can zoom really close in on, before the patch added much cooler stuff - you can reset your points quite easily. Go into your save management and delete your "profile", but nothing else. Then go into chapter select, play through the epilogue, and you get them back. I think you might lose collectibles doing this though.

21 hours ago, Len said:

I'm finally, finally going in... :)

After a v v late night last night, this is just :wub:

Made it to Seattle (on hard) before calling it a night and crawling to bed. Oh they played us (unsurprisingly) and I have so may questions. Loving the setup and can't wait to continue. How this is running on a  ps4 I'll never know. And the music and sfx are just wonderful, particularly in the quieter bits. Such depth, for want of a better word. Still thoroughly enamoured by the gameplay loop and keep having to tell myself to breath in the tense bits. 

Another late one beckons I think.  :)

On 17/08/2020 at 11:56, panda_t said:

I think there are two things here - one of which I agree with you on, and one I don't. Definitely some criticism/backlash is people used to games being constructed to make you feel powerful and heroic, to the extent of saving the world/universe, and the shock of playing someone not heroic like that is a shock to their fragile egos and they react negatively. But where I disagree is that some of the stuff the characters do isn't an expression of the themes in a meaningful or inevitable way, it's arbitary and transparently just a decision of the writers. So Joel taking Ellie out of the hospital from selfishness I completely accept as something meaningful and character-based, and 'how does our selfish love weigh against the wider good?' is an interesting question that's worth making games about. But that game forcing you to murder a surgeon for no reason, *even when the gameplay situation you're given control of makes it obviously unnecessary* is ridiculous. That bit being set up for your character to have to sort of hang about in a room full of people panicking until you press a button that stabs an obviously innocent medical professional who's trying to help in the neck is just rubbish.

The game doesn't force you to do anything, you can turn it off. Which bit was that, can you elaborate without spoilers? Every time Ellie did something I disagreed with I felt the distance between myself and her grow, and that gap got larger and larger as I played the second half of the game. It was a quite a linear progression, the same kind of thing seen with Walter White. I never thought "that's dumb, I would never do that". I thought "oh God, what are you doing!" It's an interesting tension which only games can provoke, I guess some players thought their agency had been removed as they couldn't make better decisions for characters they loved in those moments.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

The game doesn't force you to do anything, you can turn it off. Which bit was that, can you elaborate without spoilers? Every time Ellie did something I disagreed with I felt the distance between myself and her grow, and that gap got larger and larger as I played the second half of the game. It was a quite a linear progression, the same kind of thing seen with Walter White. I never thought "that's dumb, I would never do that". I thought "oh God, what are you doing!" It's an interesting tension which only games can provoke, I guess some players thought their agency had been removed as they couldn't make better decisions for characters they loved in those moments.

I think it depends on one of a number of different mindsets players take when controlling a character. Are you simply inhabiting their body, like an Apex Legends character, completely ignoring their non-ludological elements? Are you roleplaying them, like in Mass Effect, where you expect a level of control over their actions, and what they do is on some level a reflection of what you want? Or is it like TLOU & Part 2, where you're very much performing a pre-prepared part, with a story and personality that's mostly set in stone?

Depending on the game and my mood I move between all three I think, even in the same play session- no sane person would walk around a room bashing off the walls grabbing at every cupboard handle; I might do a particularly cruel kill on one of the Seraphites because I think it would fit where Ellie is; I'm going to do this angry, hectic chase because the game demands it.

I think the game needs to do the heavy lifting to transition you between those states without you noticing because otherwise, you wind up feeling like you've been railroaded into committing a heinous crime by a game that doesn't want you to get in the way of the story it's telling.

It's a tough thing to do, and while I think TLOU2 largely succeeded in it, I can totally see points where people would get the shovel of ludonarrative dissonance right in their face because for whatever reason, the game's grip slipped at the wrong moment.

On 19/08/2020 at 23:19, Liamness said:

Just FYI for anyone who spent all their points on daft things like character models you can zoom really close in on, before the patch added much cooler stuff - you can reset your points quite easily. Go into your save management and delete your "profile", but nothing else. Then go into chapter select, play through the epilogue, and you get them back. I think you might lose collectibles doing this though.

Yeah, don't do this. It's fucked my game. I got about 150 points back, but now it doesn't register that I've completed the game (strange because the title screen is the post ending one). Honestly, fuck Naughty Dog for this opaque points bullshit. How many times do they expect you to play through the game? Once was more than enough.

10 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Yeah, don't do this. It's fucked my game. I got about 150 points back, but now it doesn't register that I've completed the game (strange because the title screen is the post ending one). Honestly, fuck Naughty Dog for this opaque points bullshit. How many times do they expect you to play through the game? Once was more than enough.

Ah balls. In what way did it mess up your save? I have the different ending screen as you say and also have access to New Game+.

I probably should've said that I backed everything up to a USB stick first.

59 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Ah balls. In what way did it mess up your save? I have the different ending screen as you say and also have access to New Game+.

Yeah, it says New Game+, but if I go to the extras, it tells me I have to finish the game to unlock them? It's alright man, I'm annoyed with Naughty Dog, not you. I just read somewhere that to unlock all the concept art, you'd have to play through the game three times, and that was before they added all the extra stuff which must equal at least another 200 points? I mean, why make it so difficult and grindy? If they wanted to have points they should've added a mode like Mercenaries in Resident Evil 4. Fight off swarms of infected with the points popping out of them, arcade style.

@Number 28 Did you load the final chaper and play through it, until the credits were rolling?

It does feel like you probably need to beat the game at least twice, the second time on a higher difficult, to unlock everything. Pretty par for the course compared to their previous games really. Just, you know, those games weren't 25+ hours long.

Just when I start to enjoy exploring the ruins of the old world and creeping around stabbing mushroom people the game interrupts with its emo revenge plot. I can't think of many games where the story detracts from the experience as much as this one.

On 20/08/2020 at 22:03, Moz said:

I was talking about the first game, in the ending

Spoiler

you can't just leave with Ellie without killing the surgeon (and a lot of this game depends on Joel having done that murder)

so it does force you to do things (& so does this one, with the button prompt before

Spoiler

torturing/knocking around the girl with the pipe all lit in red).

Finally completed it

what a masterpiece. Goty for sure ....

I cannot understand the backlash against it. Everything is done with such finesse and style , care for the characters, thought for the wider ‘universe’.

if I knew before starting this what I know now , that I was about to experience what I did......just mind blown.

not felt this way about a game since the first one....

I had some doubts , mainly at the uproar over the leaks but fuck me ......should have just had faith in naughty dog.

i mean what do you play after this fucking hell. The interplay between the 2 leads.....Jesus Christ.

edit/

also the sheer number of people that made this game fucking hell take a bow.

I bought the art book a while ago, and it's OK. The layout is slightly annoying, because the book is portrait orientation (obviously, you can see it!) but all the images are landscape, and it has this very rigid format of having three images to a page. Maybe I'm just getting old, but for me the three-to-a-page layout meant the images are a bit too small to comfortably look at - you can't really see all the detail. It's a shame because the blown-up images on the cover look amazing - the book should have been in landscape format really, given that it's pretty much a coffee table book.

22 minutes ago, K said:

I bought the art book a while ago, and it's OK. The layout is slightly annoying, because the book is portrait orientation (obviously, you can see it!) but all the images are landscape, and it has this very rigid format of having three images to a page. Maybe I'm just getting old, but for me the three-to-a-page layout meant the images are a bit too small to comfortably look at - you can't really see all the detail. It's a shame because the blown-up images on the cover look amazing - the book should have been in landscape format really, given that it's pretty much a coffee table book.

Or the images should have been double page spreads.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-28/sony-s-the-last-of-us-part-ii-a-video-game-was-the-summer-s-best-movie

Mainly goes into the diversity angle.

The movement is on par with the best animated features, the characters are nuanced, and the dialogue is mature and compelling, says game critic David Milner.

Just as important, TLOU2 goes beyond typical run-and-gun button-mashing to address gender roles, tribalism, and the true toll of violence in ways that other games avoid.

Although TLOU2 triggered intense criticism among some gamers, who accused the creators of courting controversy to goose sales, it earned critical acclaim in a deeply conservative industry that tends to eschew heroes who stray too far from a certain macho male stereotype.

“It’s a testament to Sony that they’ve backed such an uncomfortable megabudget game,” Milner says.

“If TLOU2 were a small indie title, nobody would care,” Toto says. “But this is a marquee archetype, making it a groundbreaking experience that will surely encourage other studios to come up with storylines that go against what users have been served in recent decades.”

9 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Although TLOU2 triggered intense criticism among some gamers, who accused the creators of courting controversy to goose sales, it earned critical acclaim in a deeply conservative industry that tends to eschew heroes who stray too far from a certain macho male stereotype.

Had to read that a few times - didn't remember any geese in TLOU2.

23 hours ago, Pob said:

Had to read that a few times - didn't remember any geese in TLOU2.

I think the only people in the games industry who could be accused of trying to goose sales are House House. (Honk if you agree)

On 25/08/2020 at 21:50, sid said:

Finally completed it

what a masterpiece. Goty for sure ....

I cannot understand the backlash against it. Everything is done with such finesse and style , care for the characters, thought for the wider ‘universe’.

if I knew before starting this what I know now , that I was about to experience what I did......just mind blown.

not felt this way about a game since the first one....

I had some doubts , mainly at the uproar over the leaks but fuck me ......should have just had faith in naughty dog.

i mean what do you play after this fucking hell. The interplay between the 2 leads.....Jesus Christ.

edit/

also the sheer number of people that made this game fucking hell take a bow.

this you? 

sorry for trying the gotcha but I remember this post as it spoiled the 1st act for me in May and led to about 1000 responses on how the misidentified lgbt characters were going to ruin computer games forever. Happy you now agree it was a bunch of crybaby manchildren trying to pull this into their Culture War and causing drama over absolutely nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

A dump of my thoughts on the game having completed it just now:

Spoiler

Right all done now going to put my down my thoughts before I start watching the detailed reviews:

-thought the plot was really good and kept me wanting to keep going even after playing for like 3 hours, but there was just too much of it - think the ending would have been better after the first Abby Ellie fight
- the pacing of the Abby sections was a bit too intense, needed some more down time and the tone was just so grim
- the whole scars Vs wlf war was really interesting wish that had been expanded on
- really liked the idea that going through and just killing people relentlessly is not cool and Ellie is not cool for this. Subverts the "ludonarrative dissonance" in games like Uncharted where Nathan Drake kills hundreds of guys but is considered a good guy
- was too long for me overall 
- the stalkers were most scary zombie ones for me, the way they would peep round corners... Brrr
- load times were really good so dying want such a big deal
- wish there were some newer gameplay bits, felt v similar to the first  game
- finding so many safes and safe codes became a bit boring
- didn't really like playing as Ellie in the end as she seemed to be the bad one which was interesting. It was sad to see all of Abbys friends getting killed off.

- amazing that you can really see the actors performances in the cut scenes, Naughty Dog games feel like a new hybrid medium between games and films

On 24/08/2020 at 19:25, panda_t said:

I was talking about the first game, in the ending

Hide contents

you can't just leave with Ellie without killing the surgeon (and a lot of this game depends on Joel having done that murder)

so it does force you to do things

I think I mentioned a while ago that this is my reason for not playing it. Because it's a whole game that revolves around an event I tried my best to avert out of conscience, reloading my save and attempting to twice.

Its story received a ton of praise, but to me that was at the cost of forgetting the attraction of a game's capacity for offering agency over books. It presented as the former while tramlining as the latter, and while certainly a much better effort than most game stories, that's why its lack of care for our emotions-led inputs rankled with me. Its emotional resonance is all prescriptive because it never consults our wishes, not even to listen to them as cues for steering us towards undesirable outcomes farther along their branches. It's in direct competition with books, TV and films as a result.

They could've still made a sequel, just with a different starting point.

6 hours ago, Escaped said:

Its story received a ton of praise, but to me that was at the cost of forgetting the attraction of a game's capacity for offering agency over books.

Capacity, but not obligation. They didn't forget, they chose.

If it were an RPG, I'd fully agree that leading you down a prescribed path would be a deceit but here you're simply acting out a prescribed role. It raises an interesting question, though. Under which circumstances do we expect or forgive a lack of narrative agency? 

The only lack of agency I minded was not being able to skip the gruesome death animations, which was compounded by the fact it was possible in part 1 and became a reflex action. I had to deprogram my brain and see that huge piece of gristle levered from the protagonist's neck every time. I dunno if it was a loading time issue or a "you must confront the consequences of violence!!" thing.