rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I like that the trophies in this aren't tied to the difficulty settings. God of War did the same thing and it actually spurred me on to go for the platinum and get everything out of the game that I could. More of this, please, game developers.

Spider-Man and Horizon are the same if I recall correctly. There's additional trophies for NG+ and higher difficulty but they're treated as add-ons to the main set.

• Upvote 1

I keep thinking I’m getting bored of this, and then some little environmental touch, or change of pace, or realisation that I can go HAM on the weapons instead of sneaking, refreshes me, and I’m hooked again. Although (late game, after Seattle Day 3 but well before the end spoilers, don’t click if you haven’t finished type spoiler)

Spoiler

That sex scene where one of them has almost died a bunch and one of them is really drunk and they want to kill each other over the fact they tortured a guy to death was fucking peculiar, weirdly naturalistic and at the same time completely undexpected and out of place, as if the director needed some raw dog shagging one way or the other.

I managed to avoid the leaks when they came out but am very interested to read now why everyone was quite so upset. I’ve completed Seattle day 3. Was there stuff revealed post that? 

I'm convinced people are lying when they say this game actually ends. :lol:

Really, really, really late game spoilers. Don't click if you haven't finished the game.

So I did the brilliant assault through the burning island, then flash forward to many months later and I feel like we're finally reaching the conclusion. Then all of a sudden I'm on my way through Santa Barbara and holy fuck WHY WON'T THIS GAME END! I'm loving the game but Naughty Dog desperately need an editor, this and Uncharted 4 both have the same issue of length.

• Upvote 2

I quite like that it's such an epic, but a shorter Lost Legacy style game in this universe would be pretty cool.

I originally wanted to wait for PS5 for a replay, but because I'm so drawn to the gameplay loop and the environments, I started Survivor+ and despite knowing what happens in the story, I'm enjoying it tremendously. Deep into Day 2 now and perhaps I wasted too many items earlier, because I'm constantly feeling outgunned, but that's great in how it forces you to make the most out of what you have. The

Spoiler

school

was a bit of a difficulty spike and

Spoiler

Hillcrest

was tense as fuck. 

I would really love it if ND's first PS5 game (not counting The Last of Us MP) goes full-blown sci-fi. It would allow them to go all-out on crazy environments and set-pieces, whether it's something more pulpy like Savage Starlight or something darker. I'd be so up for that.

Seeing as we’re doing wish lists, I’d like sci-fi too, with time travel and bullet time, and portals, and scenery bending, and space travel. In the same game -_-

• Upvote 1

Yep, they've done action adventure, they've done Sci-Fi horror, and now I'd like them to do space opera. :)

Well finally getting to play this tomorrow by a stroke of luck! Got a PS4 Pro with The Last Of Us 1 & 2 heading my way! Yay! Also looking forward to the Ghost of Tsushima too. :)

• Upvote 1

Just popped the platinum trophy :-)

not going to touch this game again until I get myself a new OLED telly, and/or a PS5.

Working my way through 

Spoiler

Day two with Abby. Had two or three combat sequences where I’ve been down to scraps and I love the fact the game continually gives you just enough to finish a job. 

Also I am a big fan of the crossbow :)

If you miss a safe, can you ever get the unique items in at a later stage? I think I’ve missed a weapon. 

5 minutes ago, GoblinUK said:

If you miss a safe, can you ever get the unique items in at a later stage? I think I’ve missed a weapon. 

I think you’ll get them anyway . You just might get it a bit later . Early spoiler

for example you can get the shotgun from the bank vault early in day one , but it definitely turns up later as I know someone that got it at a later point

One thing that is really pissing me off in this game is one of the weapons.

Spoiler

The trap mines. The game doesn't always give you enough time to get away if you remain crouched. So through no fault of your own you get blown up. I could have sworn they never used to do this.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

One thing that is really pissing me off in this game is one of the weapons.

Reveal hidden contents

The trap mines. The game doesn't always give you enough time to get away if you remain crouched. So through no fault of your own you get blown up. I could have sworn they never used to do this.

Spoiler

They only explode if an enemy is in range when you plant them, otherwise you can walk right back and pick them up later.

• Upvote 1

As I mentioned in the other thread I finished this today.

It’s got some real problems with flow and narrative choices. I can think of 5 hours they can cut tomorrow to make it a better game.

On the whole it’s a stunning technical achievement with some janky gameplay and some over complex level design that I completely failed to take advantage of within the combat engine.

It’s waaay long. I’ve seen people say 40 but I managed a relaxed 28 hours. I shouldn’t be complaining about the length , I should be grateful but I think it really harmed the experience as a whole.

This gen 8/10 but ask me again in 2 years when I’m playing it on Ps5 it’ll probably struggle to hit a 7.

• Upvote 2

Can anyone whose finished tell me how long I have left? I've got a couple of hours tonight and I hope to finish it otherwise it probably won't get done will the weekend.

I'm playing as Ellie in Santa Barbara and just saw the slaves being lined up and marched into a building, I need to make it to that dome shaped place. It looks like I'm super close to it.

5 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Can anyone whose finished tell me how long I have left? I've got a couple of hours tonight and I hope to finish it otherwise it probably won't get done will the weekend.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm playing as Ellie in Santa Barbara and just saw the slaves being lined up and marched into a building, I need to make it to that dome shaped place. It looks like I'm super close to it.

You should be able to finish it tonight.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Hide contents

You'll finish it tonight.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Majora said:

You should be able to finish it tonight.

Cool thanks. :)

I know it sounds like I can't wait for this to end, but like @Harrisown says above. They could've easily trimmed 5 hours off this (maybe even 10) to make it a far tighter and better experience. It's still a 9/10 so far though for me.

Druckmann posted some of the threats and racist comments he received:

Spoiler

• Empathy 2

I'm maybe around 60% done and progress has ground to a halt.

I was on-board for the bold narrative choices, and I was wowed by certain sequences, but I just don't think the pacing has worked and reflecting on how those story beats were told I think they made mistakes. There's a conflict at the heart of this which serves to alienate and dis-engage the player.

I've heard some people say the best stuff is in the final third, and that certainly was the case with the first game..hmmmm.

Funny how these things can differ. I had to force myself to stop playing later at night. I was totally invested in both the narrative and gameplay loop. So much so that I started a Survivor+ run run on Friday and I'm almost at Day 3 again. It's probably my second favourite game of this gen at this point, tied with Arkane's Prey.

And I really appreciate how you can still play the game dynamically on higher difficulties, in fact you're encouraged to do so. Uncharted 4 has a great combat loop as well, but if you played it like an action hero on Crushing, you'd get easily killed. Here the systems shine on higher difficulties, forcing you to make the most out of your toolset.

I played a couple of 'encounters' from the main menu last night, everything on Survivor but resources on Light, and it was brilliant. Not having to worry about hoarding resources for onward sections means you use whatever is to hand to survive. It's brilliant. Shame you don't see to be able to take upgraded weapons into those fights - you just get given a set of upgrades that emulate what you might've had at that point in the campaign.

I have just started...

Spoiler

descending down a skyscraper as Abby with the Seraphite kid...

Rough idea of proportion of the way through? Wondering likelihood of finishing before Ghost of Tsushima is out next week (started playing about a week after launch)

17 minutes ago, spanx said:

I have just started...

Reveal hidden contents

descending down a skyscraper as Abby with the Seraphite kid...

Rough idea of proportion of the way through? Wondering likelihood of finishing before Ghost of Tsushima is out next week (started playing about a week after launch)

70% ish . I’d say you have around 6 hours left . 

I legit just had to stop playing, not because I was frustrated, bored or tired, but because it was just too intense and my nerves were shredded....

Spoiler

In the hospital basement. Fucking wall stalkers are bad enough, but I know there’s something bad down here, I don’t know what it is but I need a break before it happens

I’m pretty tooled up so hopefully I can handle it tomorrow evening  

This game does tension so well. 

Animal Crossing time

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I don't know whether to suggest a double espresso or a Horlicks before you venture back down there. Defo two pairs of undies. 

• Upvote 1

On safes, item acquisition, and trophies... The mildest of spoilers:

Spoiler

We missed a late safe which I saw a friend collect a training manual from. It was then in our next safe.

Having missed at least that one safe and then completed the game, we then opened the bank vault in encounter mode, and were given the safe related trophy. We had already opened the bank vault, and hadn't been back for the safe we missed.

So, clever stuff, silly stuff...

• Upvote 1