The Last of Us Part 2

What the hell do I play after this? I’d played a bit of Days Gone but I’m not sure I can face going back to it. I think this game might have broken gaming for me. 

• Upvote 1

Well one bad thing about this game

It's made the scripting, facial animation and voice acting of everything else seem just a bit shit. Been trying to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I just can't help thinking they all look like they're made of plasticine and I don't give a rat's ass what happens to any of them.

• Upvote 5
4 hours ago, GoblinUK said:

What the hell do I play after this? I’d played a bit of Days Gone but I’m not sure I can face going back to it. I think this game might have broken gaming for me. 

Paper Mario Origami King. 

• Upvote 1

I can’t remember a game coming out that is so far advanced in the ‘old gen’ that it makes new gen stuff look a bit underwhelming. The art in this game is unbelievable.

• Upvote 5
6 hours ago, GoblinUK said:

My usual trick is bunging on a nice 2d indie game as a palate cleanser.

This usual tends to be a few hours of Darkest Dungeon because I can honestly pick that thing up anytime and enjoy myself thoroughly. Actively enjoying watching people go insane seems an apt response to the psychological punishment endured in LoU2 as well!

haha, just got past that point on my NG+ game, and I was just a tad too slow to pull that off, and it deteriorated into mayhem. Not my most stealthy 10 minutes.

43 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Already down to £36.79 brand new a month after launch. I wonder if it's due to the 2nd hand market being flooded so early.

well if you mean one retailer on eBay and applying a promo code. , then yeah . But It’s not like it’s on general discount . This won’t be discounted properly for a while yet . But if you can get it for that price then happy days . 

21 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Doing my Hard+ at the mo.

lol. I wonder, is it possible to lay a bunch of trip mines where they enter, or would leaving that area cause them to despawn?

Argh, my save corrupted on Seattle Day 2 and I needed to download a cloud backup. Turns out I've been playing for 9 hours! Feels like there's loads to go. Am I just a slow poke?

The sneaky sneaky dog scent oh shit run gameplay ALMOST outstayed it's welcome during the last section.

Mate, it’s 37 minutes long, does “it’s a great review” mean he is extremely positive about it, or that it tallies with your own feelings on the game, what’s great about it that makes spending 37 minutes watching it worthwhile? 

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Mate, it’s 37 minutes long, does “it’s a great review” mean he is extremely positive about it, or that it tallies with your own feelings on the game, what’s great about it that makes spending 37 minutes watching it worthwhile? 

That's kind of his thing. He's very good, especially on mechanics. It's an interesting review, even if little tallies with my own feelings towards the characters and narrative. He's able to make criticisms without resorting to cliché or any of the usual gamer bullshit. 

Yeah I got about 5 minutes in by which time he was painstakingly describing the mechanics, which I didn’t disagree with or anything, but then realised how long the full video was so I stopped watching. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
19 minutes ago, Stanley said:

This review spends time on the idea that there are different types of gamers and the game styles they enjoy. Also he focuses on the strengths and weaknesses of video games as a medium and how developers often ignore these when deciding what to include in a game. He covers loads of stuff I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread or anywhere else. 

That video belongs in the spoiler thread. It's not a bad video, I quite like it, but he completely misses the point of the ending imo.

Spoiler

He's actually pretty positive about many things, some niggles aside. The combat, the level design, certain set-pieces, the acting and dialogue, the symbolism and the presentation for example. He also acknowledges that some of the stuff he'd like to see is hard to implement, doesn't fit what the game wants to be or may be a lack of empathy on his part.

But he didn't care for Abby much and doesn't understand why Ellie didn't kill Abby at the end. What he seems to miss is that Elie's single-minded quest for vengeance leads to a hollow victory. When Abby lies broken at her feet, she realizes that it wasn't Joel's murder that caused her PTSS; but survivor guilt. That's what the two flasbacks symbolize. By saving Abby and Lev, she gains some peace and regained humanity. Both Abby and Ellie learn that vengeance is hollow.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah I got about 5 minutes in by which time he was painstakingly describing the mechanics, which I didn’t disagree with or anything, but then realised how long the full video was so I stopped watching. 

If you think that's long, you should check out his six hour Dark Souls commentary analysis!

Spoiler

And for the non-sarky version: You should really check out his six hour Dark Souls commentary analysis.