rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

That sounds a lot of fun. :(

Having to kill puppers makes this a hard one to look forward too.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/09/26/new-the-last-of-us-part-ii-gameplay-details-revealed/

Getting jumped by a dog is not only nerve-racking and dangerous, it presents players with the moral choice of whether they flee or take it out. Naughty Dog confirms that you don’t have to kill these animals to progress, and personally… based on my heavy heart following the demo you’re better off evading them.

• Upvote 1

It's funny because in stuff like Far Cry i've no problem sniping a bloke in the leg then watching his mate come along, put him over his shoulders then shooting both of them dead. Haw!

Doggos though it's a different matter but I suppose them trying to rip you apart will make it easier somewhat.

I hope there's going to be some twist to what sets Ellie off on this murderous rampage, because the trailer seems to be spelling it out. I'm sure Naughty Dog know better than anyone how the first game's reception was helped by the secrets they managed to keep, and how fresh the resulting experience was for players.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Looks amazing as expected but I am now officially worried. The last thing I wanted to see was some terminator rampage of Ellie during a revenge trip because she lost a loved one. It is so 'trivial' as a motivation, especially in a world like this. I really hope there is something more to this because having Ellie falling to the dark side and Joel, the one how also fell to the dark side and lied to her, coming to save her, is such a basic and predictable narrative mechanic that is really far away from the incredible character study which, essentially, was the first game.

Watching Ellie killing tens of people like a super commando in an open space -which they will be double the size of the previous ones- didn't feel like LoU but like Uncharted. First game almost all encounters felt meaningful and dangerous but the gameplay trailer was mostly action by the numbers to me.

On the other hand I am probably talking shit and this will be the game to end all games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

On the other hand I am probably talking shit and this will be the game to end all games.

Should've just stuck with this. ;)

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

I share your worries, tbh. It does look one-note compared to the original, which is weird as I can’t imagine Naughty Dog approving the project unless they thought the story was strong/had a valid reason to continue from TLOU. Right now I feel the same way about it that I do Death Stranding (something I never expected to type), hoping that there’s a significant aspect we just haven’t been shown, rather than what’s currently laid out in front of us. 

• Downvote 1

Uncharted 4 had very limited plot coverage in it's media, and that game went some interesting places. Same with the original LOU. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind it will be incredible from both a story and gameplay perspective. They haven't let me down yet.

What has let me down though, is the confirmation there's no multiplayer. I LOVED the factions multiplayer in the first one. It was brilliant. I got those multiplayer trophies and went through the whole thing again two or three times on both sides.

• Upvote 1

@Down by Law ND have confirmed they're working on *a* multiplayer experience, emphasising their love for Factions. They just haven't decided how exactly they're going to release it yet. I imagine there'll be a separate Factions-style release, maybe F2P.

EDIT: Here's the tweet - it refers to "the evolution of our Factions mode"...

• Upvote 1

I suspect there's a huge amount of misdirection in that trailer, otherwise it's basically spelt out huge chunks of the plot already. 

My suspicion just based on the assumption that they wouldn't spoil so much of the story already

Ellie's girlfriend doesn't die and actually betrays Ellie (could be a mole, maybe she kills Joel or defects to a different faction ) and the game is about Ellie getting her revenge on her rather than avenging her.

I'm pretty sure we still don't know shit about what will happen in this game. They spend far too much time on effort on crafting the story to destroy it by spilling the beans in the run up to launch. My guess is that the 'revenge' part of the game is there but only a small part of it, maybe just the first chapter. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

I share your worries, tbh. It does look one-note compared to the original, which is weird as I can’t imagine Naughty Dog approving the project unless they thought the story was strong/had a valid reason to continue from TLOU. Right now I feel the same way about it that I do Death Stranding (something I never expected to type), hoping that there’s a significant aspect we just haven’t been shown, rather than what’s currently laid out in front of us. 

Ι have the same feeling. It also doesn't help that Druckman himself has said that he felt the game didn't really need a sequel, but they started thinking about it when they got this perfect idea. Seeing the game, the trailer and listening to what Druckman says about exploring love and hate and the meaning of revenge and where it leads us doesn't strike me as a perfect idea, more like one that we have seen over and over again in a variety of media. I wouldn't bring this up if the first game wasn't such a superlative narrative experience for the medium (to the point that it seems people care more about the story than the actual gameplay), so this "revenge trip" sounds more like "business as usual" sequel stuff. 

I really hope there's more to it because controlling Ellie for 30 hours in a killing spree like a Commando reboot certainly doesn't appeal to me and doesn't feel fair to the characters either. Anyways, the creators certainly know all these which is why,  despite my worrying, I am still hoping for Druckman & co to pull off a Coppola and give us our own Godfather Part II.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Harsin said:

I went around both Division games like some kind of anti-canine Terminator and plan to do the same here.

:o You monster. 

Don't think I've ever shot a dog in either of them and played them for ages.

This will obviously change here.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Not a fan of it either, but thankfully you can switch Listen Mode off. If it's anything like the first, it's disabled on higher difficulties.

My problem with such modes is that best-experience difficulty's coupled to them, so if I follow my preference in turning them off the game just becomes hard in a way that feels masochistic more often than enjoyable. I wanted this mostly for its cancelled multiplayer, and so by taking my least favourite aspect of the original — its stealth — and slowing it down to lengthen it (this new enemy feels necessitated to stave off boredom), I'll wait for their MP game.

The story was self-contained anyway, and I feel they've already caved to predictable convention after years of hinting at something more interesting than a reheat.

I don't know why you'd be worried about narrative or characterisation after just watching that trailer. This is ND - they know how to hold that stuff back, and when to let it out into the open. They know how to conceal, and how and when to reveal. If the story of TLOU2 was a screenplay, in that trailer what they did was fold up that thick bundle of paper, put it in a large envelope, write a few words on the envelope, and hold the envelope in front of your eyes for a few seconds. There's nothing more or less to it than that.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

I don't know why you'd be worried about narrative or characterisation after just watching that trailer.

Because it feels cheap if...

They don't kill Joel after prickteasing his absence for years. Or equally, if they've brought him back for an impact death.

I've nothing against Joel, but he's played his part in any game that isn't a retread of the first. We almost certainly know a large part of this'll be about him trying to make amends with Ellie, and then they're finally mates again until...

[edit]

Not saying it'll be a bad game, just that I don't have the patience for its pedestrian-by-design stealth gameplay with an increased focus on line of sights, and I'm not intrigued about its story after so many other 'perfect ideas' were seemingly for massive garages and extensions.

And speaking for myself, it doesn't help that Stranger Things has filled the gap in-between. That also has a generic monster, but so much more on the human side than trawling grey dystopian landscapes for the nth time. I'd probably be on board if they'd gone the other way and made it a greener world.

• Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Escaped said:

Because it feels cheap if...

Reveal hidden contents

They don't kill Joel after prickteasing his absence for years. Or equally, if they've brought him back for an impact death.

I've nothing against Joel, but he's played his part in any game that isn't a retread of the first. We almost certainly know a large part of this'll be about him trying to make amends with Ellie, and then they're finally mates again until...

[edit]

Not saying it'll be a bad game, just that I don't have the patience for its pedestrian-by-design stealth gameplay with an increased focus on line of sights, and I'm not intrigued about its story after so many other 'perfect ideas' were seemingly for massive garages and extensions.

And speaking for myself, it doesn't help that Stranger Things has filled the gap in-between. That also has a generic monster, but so much more on the human side than trawling grey dystopian landscapes for the nth time. I'd probably be on board if they'd gone the other way and made it a greener world.

Centurion alt?

It's super weird how all of a sudden the gaming community is annoyed by no multiplayer. I'm sure it wasn't long ago that the community were generally annoyed when multiplayer modes were added to games just for the sake of it? 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

37 minutes ago, Capwn said:

It's super weird how all of a sudden the gaming community is annoyed by no multiplayer. I'm sure it wasn't long ago that the community were generally annoyed when multiplayer modes were added to games just for the sake of it? 

A lot of bolted on MP modes are shit, but TLOU has a genuinely really good one. It has a compulsive metagame running through it, basically you start with a limited number of members in your faction and recruit more by doing well. They will get sick and you'll often have to pickup rations from people you kill during the match to stop them from dying, putting yourself in harms way in the process. You'll get a notification that your camp is going to be raided and you have to pick a choice, from example, come 1st in the next game and only lose 10% of your crew, come 2nd and lose 20% etc but if you don't hit your set goal, the repercussions are much worse.

The gunplay, sound and map design are all excellent and the focus on semi-automatic weapons is a huge change of pace from the competition.

• Upvote 2

Hmm, I wonder if this drama will have ND focus on multiplayer after launch rather than an extra short single player campaign like before? Though the real game changer here may be Uncharted 4's Lost Legacy where they were able to use the same engine/pipeline to develop a full (shorter) game at a high price, I understand that was quite a success. I think in today's market, a better option may be to focus on that multiplayer, make it a separate free service and make money by monetizing it? That might be the more likely route to go this time?