rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

I really don’t care if people who like shit games argue with me, I’d just like the freedom to say they’re shit. I’m the context of discussing The Last of Us I don’t think it’s insane to mention that it’s a bit shit and overrated. Having received multiple grumpy responses from people who don’t like hearing that I think it’s shit, I don’t really think it’s fair to suggest that I’m the one trying to start arguments.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 3

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I prefer my game world with stuff in them, rather than serving as a glorified menu for the worst season of Deadwood ever. 

The Red Dead 2 storyline is better than Deadwood. 

11 minutes ago, Mugman said:

The Red Dead 2 storyline is better than Deadwood. 

/slow motion noooooooooooo dive

• Upvote 3

The gameplay in The Last Of Us was like a shit version of Manhunt, with the added joy of crafting. I really couldn't believe how basic and weak it was and how almost everyone fell for it, this extremely average third person cover shooter with terrible buddy AI and threadbare gameplay, dressed up as something special with portentous and emotive cut scenes. Not trying to be controversial, I just thought the game was incredibly simplistic and not in a good way. Example - in Manhunt there was a risk/reward of charging up your execution over three levels of intensity, resulting in different execution animations depending on the weapon you were holding. In TLOU there's no risk/reward, you just clobber the enemies regardless if you sneak up on them. As a stealth game it offered nothing. As a survival game just endless crafting, scavenging and stupid puzzles.

Naughty Dog are master illusionists. Their games are absolutely terrible but they make you believe you're experiencing something worthy and beyond criticism.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 4

2 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

Yeah, but you don't do that though do you. You just ratchet up your opinions to ludicrous extremes like "It's like a menu for a bad season of Deadwood". If you think it's shit, no problem, but perhaps you need to stop huffing your own forum persona-farts and start talking about stuff in a more reasonable manner.

I get that you're super proud of who you are on here and all that, but you'd be a lot more convincing if you brought it down just a notch.

Fair. I’ll think about that. 

• Upvote 8

On 29/04/2020 at 21:52, Uncle Nasty said:

TLOU there's no risk/reward, you just clobber the enemies regardless if you sneak up on them. As a stealth game it offered nothing.

You can make shivs to stealth kill them instantly and silently.You could shoot them in the head with the bow without alerting others, too. Of course, you could use the parts to make a scissor bomb instead of a shiv. On survival, you'll usually only get the supplies to make one or the other. So do you make a bomb that if placed / thrown correctly could potentially kill three people unaware/in pursuit, or do you make the shiv guaranteeing at least one of them will be killed? It's this kind of on-the-fly decision making and limited ammo/materials that made it a really thrilling game..

...on the higher difficulties where it really comes into it's own. Admittadely on normal, it kind of plays itself and gives you so much crafting supplies you never need go without.

If enemies have traps, you can trigger them with bricks and bottles as well to stay in stealth , but it'll take the enemy out.

The gunfights and melee combat are awesome though. Extremely violent and satisfying combat. Have a gander at this - there's a few stealth kills throughout with examples of all of the above (made it a few years back)

• Upvote 5

@Down by Law

Leave it out, mate! I've really got into Days Gone. The last thing I need is to see footage of TLOU that makes me want to go back and play through that again...

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Ha I'm playing Days Gone at the minute as well! Talk about a slow starter but damn, it's good now! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Ha I'm playing Days Gone at the minute as well! Talk about a slow starter but damn, it's good now! 

It's only taken me a year to start enjoying it!!

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

You can make shivs to stealth kill them instantly and silently.You could shoot them in the head with the bow without alerting others, too. Of course, you could use the parts to make a scissor bomb instead of a shiv. On survival, you'll usually only get the supplies to make one or the other. So do you make a bomb that if placed / thrown correctly could potentially kill three people unaware/in pursuit, or do you make the shiv guaranteeing at least one of them will be killed? It's this kind of on-the-fly decision making and limited ammo/materials that made it a really thrilling game..

...on the higher difficulties where it really comes into it's own. Admittadely on normal, it kind of plays itself and gives you so much crafting supplies you never need go without.

If enemies have traps, you can trigger them with bricks and bottles as well to stay in stealth , but it'll take the enemy out.

The gunfights and melee combat are awesome though. Extremely violent and satisfying combat. Have a gander at this - there's a few stealth kills throughout with examples of all of the above (made it a few years back)

Most of what you're describing here is resource management which I find tedious. Menus and crafting systems in action games are a horrible way of doing it. I can't emphasise enough how disappointing this game was to me as a fan of stealth games, it was so less intense and exciting as a game than Manhunt, a game which I really thought the Last Of Us would improve on and develop. Even the gunplay was a shadow of Manhunt. Just a total letdown to me. I remember even the first few areas and thinking please, let it get better than this. It never did.

A generous 4/10 for the gameplay.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 7

If you do decide to give it another go, go straight on Survivor. It really ups the ante and nearly every encounter goes to the wire - tense stuff. Listen mode is removed. Oh yeah I forgot you can use bricks as stealth weapons as well. The game tells you to throw em, but you actually bash enemies with em too. Saves shiva! 

3 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

The game tells you to throw em, but you actually bash enemies with em too. Saves shiva! 

Imagine trying to summon Shiva from some dead dude's kitchen as the zombies come at you. :)

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Not a disgruntled employee...apparently.

Sony say they've traced who went and leaked all the stuff. They say the person responsible isn't an employee of SIE or Naughty Dog.

It is quite hard to believe that, especially when it comes during all the ND crunch accusations, etc. How is it possible that no one working for Sony or ND got their hands on the code? This is one of the most anticipated games of all time and its story is the main reason people are eager to play it. I would think that it’s extremely well guarded and you can’t have the postman borrowing a copy because he’s good friends with Neil. 

• Empathy 1

It’s all very fishy, first the game is delayed indefinitely all pre orders cancelled and refunded and then, magically, they manage to release it anyway just a couple of weeks later than originally planned, and they just happen to announce this the same day as major plot details are leaked amidst allegations of poor working practices.

:unsure:

• Upvote 1

There’s obviously a lot of politics going on in that video that I’m unaware of but “gay interracial relationship that’s no one asked for” ?

Kindly do one, mate. 

I can’t believe Nintendo added a raccoon power up for Mario that lets him fly in their latest game, literally no one asked for that!

I see through you, angry, sexist Scottish man. 

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 2

3 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

It is quite hard to believe that, especially when it comes during all the ND crunch accusations, etc. How is it possible that no one working for Sony or ND got their hands on the code? This is one of the most anticipated games of all time and its story is the main reason people are eager to play it. I would think that it’s extremely well guarded and you can’t have the postman borrowing a copy because he’s good friends with Neil. 

All of Sony's studios are working from home, thus they're accessing builds remotely. Such access will have been pulled together relatively quickly and could well have security holes, and even if that isn't the case every remote employee's system is a potential weak link, both from network intrusion or by anyone the employee should happen to live with.

It's harder to believe that Sony would outright lie about key details of an upcoming legal case for no reason.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sid said:

1. This is the worst thing I’ve ever seen.

2. It seems to contain major spoilers.

3. We need negs back.

• Upvote 5

I couldn’t get past the Kermit voice, lasted about a minute - no idea what it is. 

• Upvote 1

ND have done well to draw the ire of both 4chan types and the Polygon crowd.